Its taken her 30+ years but she finally gets it

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Way back on my 21st birthday my mum was mortified that all I wanted was a wheelbarrow for my 'big' birthday, but eventually conceded with lots of grumbling that it was an awful present :rolleyes: but I think she is finally getting it...

She called me the other day;
'we're buying the other kids wine for Christmas but you won't want that will you...?'
'I don't really drink a lot of wine mum'
'...well we thought we would buy you hay instead'
:D :D :D :D I'm super happy with that :p

Then she calls again last night
'I need to get you something else, what do you want?'
'I don't know mum, I don't really need anything'
'there must be something? how about a dishwasher for the new house?'
'lets wait until I am in before we buy stuff for the new house'
'so what do you want? I have to get you something' (this went back and forth for a few minutes)
'I'd like to take the neds to the coast again for a holiday?'
'oh yes how lovely, I'll make you a voucher' :p
Another fab prezzie :D :D :D :D :p

That;s brilliant. My dad will never get it - last Christmas:
What do you want for Christmas?
A mid layer fleece for winter riding.

So he got me a dry clean only Ralph Lauren jumper!
Washed by mistake by OH after 2 wears and bye bye jumper :-(

Who in the world has time for dry cleaning everyday wear jumpers.....

Reactions: Jessey
Love this, it is so much more special when it is something you actually need:). One xmas I told my OH all i needed was a good strong wheel barrow, he got me one and went to a tack shop (he had never set foot in one before) and got me other things, practical things. I appreciated it much more than the usual expensive perfumes etc all my non horsey friends and sister etc thought it was hilarious that i got a wheel barrow :rolleyes::)

I got my 1st wheelbarrow for my 24th and i was so excited to use it i pushed it too the yard with Harry in through the woods and across the field (i didnt have a car and was been too impatient waiting for dad)
Ive been lucky my parents gave up years ago and realised bedding, hay, feed, barrows anything horse related was the way forward when i never used or wore anything they bought me. My old boss even filled a very pretty girly hat box with apples, carrots and polos after giving up trying to find anything else so i fully understand your happiness over this.
Its something us horsey folk really do appreciate :p

I don't think my mum truly understood why on earth I went back to horses after my kids were grown up. It took me about a year to 'fess up that I'd actually bought Cherry way back at the start....and that was because I wrote her a letter!! She was always jealous of the time commitment, which kept me from going down to see her in London every weekend but eventually went to her grave with a begrudging acceptance.

There must be something in the air this year, Jessey. Like you, for the very first time my daughter hasn't ignored my "tack shop vouchers" request and listened to my polite but desperate pleas of "no more smellies or Pandora charms" (I never use or wear either). I think.....I think....and hope - that she has ordered me the fleece-lined Decathlon joddies that I sent her a link for. Fingers crossed!!

I'm glad your mum is being so usefully sensible with her gifts this year.....result!!!

I think....and hope - that she has ordered me the fleece-lined Decathlon joddies that I sent her a link for. Fingers crossed!!result!!!

Ooooh I've asked for those this year. Complete with link too. No more assuming 'mid layer fleece for winter riding' is enough info to get something practical!!

Brilliant gifts! My brother has got me the half chaps i asked for... Woohoo! Although he justsees cob as a money eating machine haha

Reactions: PePo
I'm getting an electric fence tester from my parents this year, I hope. I think they like that I'm not like 'normal' girls and want bags, perfume, make up as they wouldn't know where to start! :p last year I got a battery charger for my bike lights and I use it all the time, which in my eyes makes it a brilliant gift! And the year before it was the bike lights them selves haha.

You know what they say. People buy presents to give to someone that are what they actually want.
A couple of my work clients have brought me presents. I am not opening them till Christmas. But I reckon they won't be what I would like. In all honesty I would rather not have presents or if they insist on giving one they just give me some money to get things I need. But it's this perception that giving someone money isn't an appropriate gift.
I've previously been given gift vouchers for shops which I've never been to. In fact I don't even go to the centre of town. So to use them I have to make a special trip in to spend them.
It's the thought that counts.

Reactions: Prjsmk
It is for this reason that I haven't bought my pony mad 7 year old niece a present this year - she's the first horsey offspring in the family and I can't wait to take her to the tack shop when they're down over the Christmas period and let her choose her own pressie!

You know what they say. People buy presents to give to someone that are what they actually want.
A couple of my work clients have brought me presents. I am not opening them till Christmas. But I reckon they won't be what I would like. In all honesty I would rather not have presents or if they insist on giving one they just give me some money to get things I need. But it's this perception that giving someone money isn't an appropriate gift.
I've previously been given gift vouchers for shops which I've never been to. In fact I don't even go to the centre of town. So to use them I have to make a special trip in to spend them.
It's the thought that counts.

You could gift them to other people next year and save yourself the money which you can then spend on what you want.

What a great present :D

I think Mum (and by default Dad) is much happier to spend money on 'horsey' things now I'm in financial position where I can afford other things for myself - being a poor student or at the beginning of my career, it was a struggle to keep a horse so Mum was determined 'I' got a treat rather than the horse that wants for nothing ...!

In recent years, I've had a Charles Owen hat, Ariat riding boots, HV Polo saddle pad & a few other bits & bobs. Having said that, I do love girly stuff like make up, perfume, jewellery & clothes so it's hardly wasted.

I only asked my OH for riding hat earwarmers, as I thought anything too specific horse wise would be a bit mean for our first Christmas ... :D

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com