It's laminitis

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Poor Ziggy! Mild laminitis in both front feet.

Vet says we've caught it early, just a blip, 5 days box rest with soaked hay and then muzzled when he's out between April and September. He also said (bless him) "It's not your fault, it's almost inevitable with ponies of his type when they can't be worked." Then he looked narrowly at me and repeated, "It is not anything you have done."

I'm off to the feed store to buy more Bedmax to make his bed soft.

My poor blessed pony, he was so good. He trotted up when I asked even thought he was 3 to 4 tenths lame, and he stood like a saint while the vet injected him.

My vet goes with vaso-dilation as a measure rather than vaso-constriction. If any of you with laminitics have any views, I'd be interested!

Poor you, and poor Ziggy. But you have caught it early which is brill.

I feel your pain with the lami!! June still isn't right :( and wont be for a while I feel. Healing vibes to ziggy!

Oh NO - that is such bad luck - after all you have both been through too.:poop:

Healing vibes and hope that very soon Ziggy will be completely sound again.

sorry to hear - at least you have got it early and hopefully recovery will be speedy in this case and no lasting damage done....... just finding the right management regime moving forward, both events our end was winter lammi following injury and box rest when workload was reduced - so your vets comments regarding when they can't be worked I can relate to. we keep him out whatever, with his second bout of lammi having learnt from first, exercise in form of turnout during the day and 5 min walk morning and night was maintained and his recovery was quicker...... we have just had almost 12 weeks of non stop injury, he seems to have press the self destruct button, his immune system compromised and he has now just had a heavy worm burdon which we have sorted - hes gone over his normal trim period so is now suffering a little with feet -farrier damaged his knee can't get out and struggling to get cover for us - it never rains as they say! through all this he has whereever possible had a minimum of 10 hours turnout per day and a walk of some description - we had Vet Friday and talking about bloods now but we need to get feet done first, Vet as puzzled as us, full flexion and hoof testers and general health check which he passed with flying colours, looking at him at times you wouldn't think anything wrong, no lammi signs and he has had 2 trims mid all this no lammi changes....:banghead: - so keeping him moving is doing the trick so far...... hes looked like an abcess - those signs now gone - hes been near colic with no droppings overnight for a week - the wormer sorted that - last night I was really pleased this morning hes short on rear near - so not sure what hes going to be like tonight - I am hoping it is just that he needs balancing -on a good note I still have some hair left. through all this no pulses, heat or crest and actually lost a bit of weight was 147kg when I weigh taped him, hes usually 150 - 155kg which is good for his height/breed, now worming sorted hoping that will get back to his norm.

Blimey Lemme, he has kept you on your toes!

Will the vet said, "Restricted grazing doesn't work well in my opinion. It's best to have them move around as much as possible and eat as little as possible. So muzzling is the way forward".

So it will be for me. Unfortunately it means he won't be able to go out with his mates as Tommy the TB removes muzzles. Vet has suggested bitter apple spray to stop Tommy from taking it off - I wonder if that would work?

I was hoping carthorse was wrong. Thank goodness Ziggy has a superb owner like you and an online buddy like carthorse looking out for him.

At least you have caught it early and hopefully by this time next week he will be sound again. Poor Ziggy, this year is proving to be very tough for him (and you!).

Oh NO NO NO! So many healing vibes coming your way for Ziggy. What sh**y rotten luck. Do hope he's better soon, such a rough time for you both. Thinking of you.

I was hoping carthorse was wrong. Thank goodness Ziggy has a superb owner like you and an online buddy like carthorse looking out for him.

I was hoping I was wrong too :( .

You've caught it early though so he should be fine - not only is it not your fault but you've done really well to spot it & get it treated so quickly. You're a good owner! (((Hugs))) to both of you x

Oh no I am sorry.

I have two that are prone to lami, Wally is the easiest to manage at the moment as his is caused through Cushings and it only seems to affect him during Autumn.

Surprise on the other hand gets a bout very easily, have to be on the ball from March through to Winter.

I keep mine out all year, a track system can work well when sound. I tend to feed hay during my boys danger periods and limit grass in take.

Oh no - poor Ziggy. You've caught it early and I'm sure he'll be fine. Maybe you've got all your horsey ailments out of the way in one year and won't ever have anything else to worry about?! healing vibes on the way....

oh nooooooooo! poor little Zigster!!!!

sending him lots of healing vibes and hope you're ok too - you've gone through an awful lot!

Will the vet said, "Restricted grazing doesn't work well in my opinion. It's best to have them move around as much as possible and eat as little as possible. So muzzling is the way forward".

So it will be for me. Unfortunately it means he won't be able to go out with his mates as Tommy the TB removes muzzles. Vet has suggested bitter apple spray to stop Tommy from taking it off - I wonder if that would work?

We have no muzzle, we restrict grazing but he is either next to or with his pals and don't seem to mind as long as he gets contact over the fence, autumn/winter he allowed in with them 24/7 they all have free roam of the full fields. we do try to keep him on grass though not down to bare earth and plenty of room to move regarding paddock size, think it is much dependent what you are restricting for and if grass is a definate trigger for lammi. We restrict for weight, we have no reason to believe that Grass is a trigger - we are 99% it is mechanical lammi caused through reduction in exercise/movement due to injury - but it has taken us 2 episodes and 3 years to get to that. its just whats going on now thats the worry.

They are all different, have they identified possible trigger in this instance, I take it he has had exercise restriction for some reason ?

Jane I got a muzzle off eBay that doesn't have the Velcro, it goes on like a headcollar does if u have one that the throat bit clips off - straight on over the lugs! With a normal head collar on top to top it (and jazz helping it) come off!

Aww Jane, sorry :( ((hugs))

Fab you caught it early though, best way of managing it.

I also agree that vaso dilation is the way to go. Its the current protocol in humans for injuries, though it takes a while for "general trends" to alter.

Ice/Shoes/Lack of movement allows toxins and such to stay in the affected area due to lack of circulation. This also means that the healing stuff isn't transported into the area. This applies to muscle pulls etc - restriction is only useful in the first hour of injury - within an hour the inflammatory chemicals are already present so its not useful shutting down blood vessels as it shuts the chemicals in the area :)

Thats part of why I don't understand shoeing a laminitic as aside from the discomfort it can cause with the added trauma, it reduces circulation to the foot. I would rather put boots and pads on to make comfy.

Aww Jane, sorry :( ((hugs))

Fab you caught it early though, best way of managing it.

I also agree that vaso dilation is the way to go. Its the current protocol in humans for injuries, though it takes a while for "general trends" to alter.

Ice/Shoes/Lack of movement allows toxins and such to stay in the affected area due to lack of circulation. This also means that the healing stuff isn't transported into the area. This applies to muscle pulls etc - restriction is only useful in the first hour of injury - within an hour the inflammatory chemicals are already present so its not useful shutting down blood vessels as it shuts the chemicals in the area :)

Thats part of why I don't understand shoeing a laminitic as aside from the discomfort it can cause with the added trauma, it reduces circulation to the foot. I would rather put boots and pads on to make comfy.

Thanks PFB. It's reassuring to know that you concur.

My vet thinks he won't need further padding, but has offered sponge bootees if need be.

He is much more comfortable after a big dose of intravenous bute :smoke:

Looks as if his trigger is lack of exercise too, he has been on grass before and not triggered. Thank you all x

Thanks PFB. It's reassuring to know that you concur.

My vet thinks he won't need further padding, but has offered sponge bootees if need be.

He is much more comfortable after a big dose of intravenous bute :smoke:

Looks as if his trigger is lack of exercise too, he has been on grass before and not triggered. Thank you all x

His immune system will also be jeopardised as although he hasn't got infection, his body will be using everything up making sure he stays infection free - meaning toxins etc are always got rid of and metabolically suffer sometimes - there are a lot of theories about laminitis being metabolic and starting in the stomach :)

I would personally runs course of restore if it was Silver and use the immuplus from global herbs to get back up and running for a bit. Its a bit like us getting run down - we fight everything and then one thing breaks, and everything goes because our bodies don't have enough to fight the different things :)

PS My vet actually suggested soaking in warm water to encourage circulation to promote healing (and then went on to recommend shoeing...we had an interesting debate afterwards ;):giggle:)

Sorry to hear this, it is a risk from the surgery because of the limited movement.

I know Jack's feet went warm but it didn't turn into lami thankfully.

Thoughts are with you.

newrider.com