It's been ages! The return of Ziggy's hacking diary

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Haway all, Ziggy here!

Well, I don't know what's been up of late. Mum has been dropping in for minutes at a time, feeding me and picking out my feet and then buggering off again as if her jeans were on fire. I mean, I haven't minded those nice little orange things she gives me, but why such a hurry?

Anyway, it was all change today. She came and got me from my favourite weekend paddock with my big mates and took me up to the house to tack up. She let me wander around the garden and eat the long grass while she sorted the tack out, but as soon as I saw the saddle I went and stood in the tacking-up spot on the the drive by the gate. She went all soft when I did that, don't know why.

I was a bit anxious to be honest because I thought she had forgotten to put my boots on. They have made my feet feel so much better I really didn't want to go out without them and I was all tituppy on the way down the drive. But she petted me and said nice hooftrimmer man said I was to walk on bare feet so my hoofs get stronger, and I should just try to see how I got on. She hopped on and we went, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, to be honest.

We went up the lane which is all covered with little gritty bits, but I was so happy to be out I didn't mind and pricked my ears.

We normally trot here, so I flicked an ear to ask Mum if I should, but she said no, walk was fine.

There were alpacas behind the hedge which made me jump, and then a lady on the other side of a fence trying to teach a foal how to lead - that foal was as big as me! - and that made me jump too, but Mum stroked me and said it was ok to be jumpy because I hadn't been out for two weeks. She burbled about what a lovely day it was and how I glowed in the sun and stupid stuff like that.

Once we got to the sandy tracks on the heath I was really keen!

And Mum said we could have a canter up here, but by the time I got to the top I was all puffed out, don't know why?

When we got down to the road Mum jumped off to lead me. She said it was because of my feet but I know it's just because she likes to look at me.

Then she took me up to the pony paddock, boo hiss. I don't want to be up there. She went up to speak to my friends but I just stood at the gate pointing at where I want to go to make her feel bad.

I hope we go out again soon. I had fun.

Ziggy what a lovely update so glad that you are well and looking so good. Mum is right you need to make your feet stronger but it will be worth it.

newrider.com