Itchy tails but NOT sweet itch?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Both Harvey and Piccolo are itching their tails at the moment, and they did last year at this time of year as well.

I know it's not sweet itch as harvey has been allergy tested for sweet itch in the past and it cam eback negative.

Harvey has rubbed a tiny bald patch at the top of his tail, right where the tail hair started.

Piccolo's tail looks a bit like a bog brush at the top, I haven't seen her itching hers but her tail is rubbed on the top of her dock and her tail is thin at the moment.

Manes don't seem too be itchy, though!

Any ideas? Their coats are quite greasy now they are getting ready for winter could that be a reason?

Also remember that the allergy testing is not that accurate - it returns lots of false results - negatives and positives... Madam doesnt have sweet itch - according to the results - but in life she does.

That said if both are itching I would be looking at pin worms, lice and mites :)

yep, both itching.

I can't SEE anything in there but will have another rummage through.

Doesn't pinworms make them itch under their tails? Neither itch under their tails just on top. Just makes them look a bit scraggy.

Is there anything else about that could make it seasonal?

Is there a particular product for mites/lice?

Sounds like pinworm to me too, Vets can do a test to confirm. Apparently there's been an increase in horses suffering with them over the last few years.

Sounds like pinworm to me too, Vets can do a test to confirm. Apparently there's been an increase in horses suffering with them over the last few years.

Do you reckon that could be because more people are worming by using worm counts? I use worm counts. They do get wormed every autumn for everything including tapeworm regardless of worm count though, maybe thats why they seem to itch at this time of year but then stop?

No its because too many are worming without doing coutns - so the pin worms have become resistant - especially as they are so far through the system for the wromer to reach them

pinworms dont really show in wormcounts (they lay eggs outside the body - hence the itching) but you can see them easily with the naked eye - horrible writhing beansprouts they are!

mine always goes for under the tail. to the point where she had a bald bum. we're now in our 2nd summer battling bl*y pinworm. vet advice, various wormers etc etc. to no avail :(

for mites etc. deosect is pretty good!

pinworms dont really show in wormcounts (they lay eggs outside the body - hence the itching) but you can see them easily with the naked eye - horrible writhing beansprouts they are!

mine always goes for under the tail. to the point where she had a bald bum. we're now in our 2nd summer battling bl*y pinworm. vet advice, various wormers etc etc. to no avail :(

for mites etc. deosect is pretty good!

I couldn't see anything when i had a look under their tails tonight (went up late near dusk as thats when pinworms are meant to be most active.)

Had a good look at their tails too. Lots of tiny mites in the air bothering both ponies (tail swishing!) but actually on the hair itself I ouldn't find much. Piccolo has quite a lot of dandruff through hers and in her coat too but then she has only had minimal brushing most of the year and only one bath this year whih was ages ago so her coat is quite greasy anyway. Her tail isn't raw but definitely rubbed from the top of her dock to half way down. She also looks like she's been itching the top of her bum/loins a bit too as the fur there is a bit ruffled like she's had a good scrath against something. Under the tail perfectly fine.

Harvey has a teeny tiny bit of discharge from under his tail but nothing major. He is very grumpy and has a tiny bald spot at the top of his tail and he's itched the very top of his dock but hasn't rubbed his tail as much as piccolo has. He hasn't got any dandruff at all.

Couldn't see anything moving in either of them

I am due to worm them anyway as i tend to worm with Equest Pramox in Autumn to get rid of tapes and encysted roundworm. Will Equest Pramox help if their are any pinworms?

I don't know whether to give Piccolo a bath and worm or treat them as if they have mites/lice as well? How can you tell whether its pinworms/lice/mites without having the vet out? (vet call out plus intial look is about £60 here)

Really don't want to turn up at new livery yard in a few weeks with scabby looking ponies lol

Last edited:
I thought I remembered reading that Gill at Westgate will do a pin worm test free of charge when your have a worm count done. Probably worth contacting her for advice.

Scurf is a big indicator of lice/mites - because the eggs are the same colour. We spent hours lice hunting when madam went bald - vet was determined to find some, but alas no!

The other thing to bear in mind is if they aare shedding - my two are shedding like mad, and rubbing as a result to get the hair out.

If it happens most at dusk it isn't midges is it? Tobes rubs the top of his tail due to midges and it certainly makes me scratch my head?

I thought I remembered reading that Gill at Westgate will do a pin worm test free of charge when your have a worm count done. Probably worth contacting her for advice.

Thanks, I have just ordered Equest Pramox which they need anyway this week but if it persists after worming then i will contact Gill and have a worm test done (to see if any resistance) especially if she will test for pinworm too. I tend to use Abbey Diagnostics at the moment but have used Gill in the past.

Scurf is a big indicator of lice/mites - because the eggs are the same colour. We spent hours lice hunting when madam went bald - vet was determined to find some, but alas no!

The other thing to bear in mind is if they aare shedding - my two are shedding like mad, and rubbing as a result to get the hair out.

yes, they are shedding/getting winter coats in which is what I thought it was to start with but not so sure now. Seems odd that Harvey is dandruff free and Piccolo isn't (but then he is one of those 'don't get me muddy ponies' and she's just disgusting most of the time! Her coat is a lot more oily and thicker then Harvey's though. Pic always thinks winter is going to be like living in the artic and Harvey likes to think it will never get cold! Piccolo is going to get a bath later today anyway if it's warm enough - i'll see what the wormer does but if she is still scratchy then i'll treat her for mites/lice (does the same stuff treat both?)

If it happens most at dusk it isn't midges is it? Tobes rubs the top of his tail due to midges and it certainly makes me scratch my head?

Could be midges - there are a lot of them at the moment and the ponies are tail swishing/foot stamping them away. There was definitely a few landing on them last night. I've gone back to putting fly repellant on - really don't want to be putting their fly rugs on again but can if it will help.

We had a worm burden with Acorn, his itchy tail came after the pramox for a few days, I washed it and applied miracle cream for a few days and that seemed to do the trick - hes stopped itching now.
The Pramox or an invamectin wormer will hit the lice as well, but to be safe would still do a lice spray on them.

Mites are a different thing - need something different I believe... but don't quote me on it - only going by a case we had years ago and had this stuff from vets plus injections.

My lot have been wrecking their new shelter scratching their bums too.
Just sent off their counts and meant to check for pinworm. Cant see anything and no sores.
They are due for some more Spot On treatment so will maybe do that while the weather is dry.
Wee mini is very scurfy though. other 2 are fine but they get brushed more.

We had a worm burden with Acorn, his itchy tail came after the pramox for a few days, I washed it and applied miracle cream for a few days and that seemed to do the trick - hes stopped itching now.
The Pramox or an invamectin wormer will hit the lice as well, but to be safe would still do a lice spray on them.

Mites are a different thing - need something different I believe... but don't quote me on it - only going by a case we had years ago and had this stuff from vets plus injections.

Thanks, have ordered the wormer so see what that does, didn't know it could help treat lice as well.

Don't think it's mites as Harvey has white feathers and his feathers are fine and mites normally hide in their too don't they? Farrier had a good look today too and couldn't find anything in either tail (I ask my farrier about everything! lol)

Today i washed Piccolo's tail (whih she actually enjoyed!), put some megatek on it too and have put their fly rugs back on for now as they give a lot of bum coverage if nothing else.

There were a lot of midges and flies about today so think they quite liked the fly rugs on, which i didn't think they would.

I am battling what i think is pinworm with sully at the moment. After speaking to the people who do my worming programme, it would appear pinworm is rife!

Sully does what Harvey and Pic are doing and can not be stabled because of his constant rubbing. He does have rust coloured residue around his bum everyday which is a pain.

So far he has been wormed counted (doesn't always pick up prinworm)
Moxidectin wormer (even put this round his bum to try and kill the blighters)
Tail washed with medicated shampoo and nettex balm put on
PO&S around the area to stop the eggs sticking (along with vaseline, nettex balm etc)
Is cleaned everyday without fail with baby wipes
Having Diacom Earth (herbal treatment to try and clear it)
Stable has been cleaned with Jeyes fluid
I poo pick religiously every day
Food and water buckets are cleaned everyday.
It's funny though because it only affects Sully and not Mouse :frown:

I am now at the end of my tether because i don't know what else to try!

newrider.com