Itchy pony, rubbing hair out

Zingy

Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
Benj is starting to look decidedly moth-eaten :( He was quite itchy a few months ago and was scratching loads. Ripped a rug literally neck to tail in the process, so spent the winter unrugged. But he's now scratching so much he's ending up covered in bald patches, some of them scabby because he's rubbing the skin so much.

It's mainly around his head, ears and neck, both under his mane and under his neck, but he's also biting and grooming himself a lot further back.

I can't figure out what's causing it (don't think it's ringworm as they're not little round patches) and I can't think of anything I can put on it - it's still a bit cold and potentially wet for bath time given that he has to live out unrugged. The others aren't affected so it isn't contagious and he's never suffered with sweet itch or anything, but he does have a tendency to scratch a lot when he's moulting (which he is now). Never this much before though.

Any suggestions before I have a completely bald pony? :eek:

From your description and the time of year, could be lice. Have a peep in good light between the fur - they're little grey striped bugs with kicking legs! The only stuff that worked for our hairy ponies was Deosect (cypermethrin - same drug type as permethrin in Spot On; pyrethroids) - bought OTC from vets, diluted and sponged on (with gloves etc).

It could just be the long coat - or it could be something in his feed - have you changed it? Spring grass has a very high level of sugar content that can make some very itchy

A bath might help if the weather is ok. It is possible to buy additives to help.

Well, I rang the vet today and they're sending me some Deosect, so hopefully that'll work. At least it means I don't have to bath him. He's not changed diet or anything apart from getting marginally more grass, but I did spot a couple of grey blobs on him this morning so I think it's some kind of lice.

I was thinking lol about a horse at my old yard who is the ripe old age of 32 and he did exactly the same. Sooo we treated him for ringworm and lice and then when the man eventually got the vet out turns out he had rain scald because of the way he was kept...

So i wouldnt rule out that either

newrider.com