It is goodbye my horse

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Just for the folk here who have known me since the early NR and may remember how I loved the wonderful Maisie when she arrived on our yard 10 years ago. And how OH told me to pretend she was mine and ride her as often as I liked. She arrived fit only for hacking and flew with me. I had so much advice on NR on how to manage her. In spite of her speed, her health has never been good, and the vet has been a lot lately, so I felt this coming. She is too sick to be ridden and now is retired.
I have spent more time loving riding that horse and thinking about her than any sane woman ever would. I thought of her a lot one day when we were in Cody, Wyoming in 2005. No doubt, I will groom her and weep into her mane.
She isnt my horse and losing her isnt like when a person gets sick and dies, but these animals we love get under our skin and I am so sad. And she will disappear from my story now.

Sorry to read this Skib. It is sad to lose any horse whether he or she belongs to you or not. Many people at my yard cried when I told them about Rubic. They rarely had to look after her, they may have brought her in/turned her out/checked on her on occasion for me but that was about it, they were never as close to her as you would have been close to Maisie, however they were still very sad when she went downhill. I hope that the sadness soon fades and soon you will remember only the good times.

Sorry, Skib. These things happen - are inevitable, really - but they're still hard to bear. Without wishing to sound insensitive, perhaps now is time to start thinking of getting your own horse? It is never too late!

I am so sorry to read this. Try and be positive and remember all the things you must have done and taught each other. I know it is hard and I know you probably don't much feel like thinking about getting / sharing another but maybe as squids says it's worth a thought?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
You are lovely people.. Thank you for the replies and support.
I reported to YO Maisie wasnt herself before Christmas and then vetting turned out serious. She is as much loved by the YO as by me and, if she is in pain, that will be the end.
Yesterday I was having a nice hack, and not being too tearful, realised how much I liked riding and remembered that Maisie had been the reason I never bought a horse of my own. May be that will be my consolation.
However I am not going to rush into anything on the rebound. If I am seriously shopping I will post on NR. I may have spoken too soon about never owning a horse, tho the rational arguments against it still hold.

It doesn't matter who owns the horse, you can still have that very deep close relationship. I remember when my old favourite riding school cob was put to sleep. I literally cried solidly for 3 days. I had to get my mother in law to come and help me look after my children as I was completely devestated. I loved that horse so much - just as much as I love Ben now and I was just so sad when he went. To top it all off they didn't even let me say goodbye to him and kept it quiet for 2 weeks because everyone was scared to tell me!

It's very sad, but hopefully you can still see her and fuss over her. Perhaps she might enjoy some in-hand walks or even some in-hand showing?

newrider.com