Is there such a thing as a 'bit consultant'?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
We have saddlers.....but what about people who come out and fit you a bit? where you can try the horse in different bits? do these people exist? is it not necessary?

I am thinking of changing Moets bit but not sure what to go for....would be great to have a qualified person out to 'fit' one!

We have had 'bit clinics' where someone came to the yard with a variety of different bits and tried them out on the horse in question. I will try and find out more info and let you know.

Reactions: juliecwuk
MP that would great if you could. Yes i know my trainer should be able to advise, but i get sick of paying out for new ones/hiring etc and as soon as its in Moets mouth i know instantly that she's unsettled and unhappy (though in fairness i haven't bought a new one for a while!). Would love to have a consultant out to properly advise and try different ones on

Reactions: Mary Poppins
We buy from Ebay, try and reject and sell on! One of ours took major exception to a NS starter bit despite it being correct in theory, tipped his head and then threw himself on the ground. Same horse however threw himself on the floor when dressage saddle stopped him shifting rider forward in canter transition so a very sensitive person!!!!!

I was about to write your instructor but Eml has already said it.
I have just altered the cobs bit, size not type. My instructor brought some with her and I rode in my lesson in the new bit. Its the same as we had just a new size.

What are you looking to achieve is my question, why are you thinking of changing, what issues have you got, what isn't happening? What are you in now?

I started mine off in a Myler she hated it, I already had that so it didn't cost. She played around with it, opened her mouth was generally yuk I really don't like this.

Ok so basically a few years ago Moët wouldn't let me bridle her and freaked out at the bit, so I rode her bitless for a few years then introduce her back into a single jointed snaffle. She never settled with it, lots of tongue out and over so I changed her to a hanging cheek french link (currently in a NS transangled). On the whole she is ok with it but if I try to take up a correct contact she will fight it, tongue out and over, brace her neck etc. now it could be that she doesn't know what I mean and just tries to avoid the contact, or it could be that she's not comfortable. She can also get really strong on funrides by holding the bit and sticking her head up and ignoring me (though not as bad as it sounds, I do always feel in control)

I would like to see if there's a better bit that she finds more acceptable...

On the understanding part, ask her to work in the bitless, if she still braces it could tell you she doesn't get it. I am teaching flexion bitless first.

Is it the right size in the place, not saying you don't know how to fit, but my cob's mouth has changed shape/teeth since I backed her. Teeth are all fine I am guessing?

Hilary Vernon is one such person and she does a range of very good bits. However, I had no luck getting hold of her. I tried many bits - both from ebay and through bit banks.

The person that helped me the most, was Heather from Neue Schule. She used to work for The Bit Bank many years ago before she designed the Neue Schule range of bits, so has a vast experience of bits. You need to know the conformation of your horses mouth - big tongue, normal tongue, low palate, normal palate, fleshy lips, normal lips etc., and tell her what your issues are and she will advise you. She will clearly only advise you on her own bits, but I like Neue Schule bits and you can hire them before you buy to make sure they suit.

I asked my EDT as Flipo had started opening his mouth and evading having previously never done that. He couldn't find anything significantly wrong with his teeth so I cheekily asked him to check my bridle fit and he identified straight away that my bit was too big and the source of the problem. This info was a godsend because being a bigger horse, I was struggling to find bits to choose from in his size. (And I had consulted my trainer about the bit fit previously and a RI and both had condoned it).
Now that I had more choice of normal sized bits (and not just driving bits or a snaffle) I referred to this webpage which has a heap of info - http://www.ukshires.net/bits.htm - I tried a Waterford and haven't looked back.

I asked my EDT as Flipo had started opening his mouth and evading having previously never done that. He couldn't find anything significantly wrong with his teeth so I cheekily asked him to check my bridle fit and he identified straight away that my bit was too big and the source of the problem. This info was a godsend because being a bigger horse, I was struggling to find bits to choose from in his size. (And I had consulted my trainer about the bit fit previously and a RI and both had condoned it).
Now that I had more choice of normal sized bits (and not just driving bits or a snaffle) I referred to this webpage which has a heap of info - http://www.ukshires.net/bits.htm - I tried a Waterford and haven't looked back.

Do you find the Waterford helps you with control? I have a Neue Schule Verbindend, both loose ring and Universal (kind of like a gag which I very naughtily use with pelham roundings). The loose ring is fine for road work, but in times of high excitement - galloping in company - I find I have no brakes. The Universal is better for braking but it annoys him because if I say stop now if he hasn't been listening, it stops him, but doesn't always put him in a good mood. I am wondering if this is because it causes poll pressure and wonder whether the Waterford would be better. Should really get onto Heather, but like to have real life feed back!

It suits my horse's mouth confirmation much better sjp as he's got such a fleshy tongue. He used to have a tendency to run when scared as you know and I had two occasions when I got carted a little further than I'd like because he paid no attention to me whatsoever. The rest of the time I could ride him on the buckle and he's really happy. The Waterford helped as he couldn't grab it but when he wasn't tanking off, it sits nicely and he seems comfortable in it. Now that i feel more confident,I tried changing back to a French link but he displayed similar behaviour to before and the fact that he now happily turns and lowers his head for the Waterford tells me all I need to know. My horse is strong, I've worked hard on our spooking and green issues in general, I use my seat and legs as much I'm capable but I have a backup plan if need be. I just wouldn't school a lot in it as I don't like to think I'd give my horse a hard mouth by having a strong contact with one in.

Hmm, mostly Tobes doesn't rush off, but galloping in company is always an issue. The verbindend suits his mouth conformation as he has a thick tongue and a low palate and the Verbindend is curved and narrow, therefore much more comfortable for him.

I think I will try to get a second hand Waterford neue schule for him. I know some don't like Neue Schule, but the Verbindend with a thick tongue and low palate has been a godsend for us.

Edited to add, I don't care who you are and how good a rider you are, if a horse is thoroughly over excited, you need control. Clearly exposing your horse to situations that are exciting, over time helps, but no amount of seat control will help when they are on one!!

I always thought a waterford was quite a chunky bit for a fleshy tongue mouth? I'm so confused, this is why i think i need someone to come and advise me!!

Rubic is another with quite a fleshy mouth. For flat work she used to be in a myler mullen mouth barrel with eggbutt cheeks. She went quite nicely in that. She really didn't like french links (She tanked off with me with her nose between her knees and I had no brakes). She was ok in single joints but, like you, we did have a bit of resistance/evasion. I tried lots of different bits for jumping/exciting stuff and the one that Rubic was happiest in was a waterford although we didn't get much of a chance to test how well the brakes worked! I think that because it has so many links in it it just rests in the mouth and follows the contours of the mouth more that any other bit can. I don't take much contact now that we are just hacking but she seems happy with it. That is my novice-y understanding of it.

I always thought a waterford was quite a chunky bit for a fleshy tongue mouth? I'm so confused, this is why i think i need someone to come and advise me!!

Not it isn't. Because it is fluid and quite narrow, it is actually kinder for a fleshy tongued horse. Much kinder than for instance a plastic bit which is very thick and because they have little room in their mouths anyway, a plastic bit will take up a huge amount more room.

Am shamelessly hijacking your post, but can anyone tell me if your horse had a 5.5" mouth in a jointed bit, what size Waterford would you need - smaller because it is flatter? We have a 6" Verbindend because of the massive curve on it.

The myler you use half inch bigger due to the shape. My Myler was 5.5 but her eggbutt is 5"

Thankfully mine is fine in something plain and simple. But we hack alone. So haven't had the fast in company experience yet.

Eta just checked size of my current bit :)

Last edited:
newrider.com