is she going to get pregnant ...HELP.... ????

speedygonzalez

Apr 11, 2007
I want to ask a question but its a bit rude ............. but its just natural so i'll just bite the bullet and go for it.

There are colts in the next field to my mare, they are 8 months and 10 months old, and they are paying a little too much attention to my mare who is kinda enjoying it :eek: as she is in season, as is the mare that is in the heard where the colts are :confused: N e way, they both get rather large ....... *** cough *** erections, and bounce them off their bellies when they are near my mare, and this morning the eldest of the two actually mounted the mare, and entered her which she let him do, and he did the deed :eek::eek::eek: Anyway........ he has no balls, as i went into the field and had a look and a feel to see if he had dropped. But no, nothing. Does this mean he is still a worry to me if he was to get over the fence and should i tell the owners of the mare ???? I dont know much about colts, so im a little confused. :confused::confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Speedy x x x

Hi,

Im sorry I have no idea about your problem but the thought of them bouncing their doojimmyflips off their bellies made my inhale my tea!! :D

If your vets is anything like mine then they will offer for a vet to call you back for online advice. Maybe try calling them to see what they suggest :)

Well a neighbour once kept her young colt in our field with our three mares - she repeatedly assured us it would be fine as his balls were yet to drop and as she was much more experienced (having worked at stud farms and racing stables) we believed her.

11 months later, all three mares had foals:eek:

Well a neighbour once kept her young colt in our field with our three mares - she repeatedly assured us it would be fine as his balls were yet to drop and as she was much more experienced (having worked at stud farms and racing stables) we believed her.

11 months later, all three mares had foals:eek:

:eek::eek::eek: Well theres my answer ! I've phoned the mares owner as he has done the "deed" more than once now and thats just been today :eek::eek::eek: so i'd say she'd be pregnant then. I've called the owner of the colts and she is going to move them, and to be on the safe side im moving my mare into the next further field too !!!

Thanks guys

Speedy x

what an experience. id be scared stiff if i was that mares owner. there cheeky them little colts, but you just gotta love them...at least no harm done to your mare :)

lol id chop that cheeky chappys willy right off if he came within an inch of my mare. No disrespect to coloured, inbred, licey colts lol, but my mare has much more class :D ( well id like to think so ) LMAO.

Speedy. x

Yes, a colt that age can successfully cover a mare (even if he hasn't visibly dropped).

If not gelded a colt needs to be separated from mares once he reaches about 6 months old.

As I understand it there is a mares equivilent of the morning after pill so I'd be phoning the vet asap to find out options available.

On a side note, but something you might need to consider - The colts owners have a responsibility to make sure their colts can't go cavorting with mares and the like. Apart from anything else, if they managed to get into your field whats stopping them from getting onto a road and causing an accident? Either way there are going to be some pretty large vets bills that could have been avoided :eek:

newrider.com