Is it ok to give your horse cooking apples?

Steadyneddy

May 21, 2009
Suffolk
Hiya.

Iv'e been given loads of cooking apples but am not sure if it's ok to feed horses with them. I have a feeling that they may cause digestive troubles.

I hav'nt given him any yet, just wanted to see if anybody else gives them to their neds.

Cheers!

I'm with FayeObs on this - would have thought they were too sour, but don't know whether it's true or not. Best to err on the side of caution though...

I make apple pies & chutney for me and freeze the peelings in handfuls which I then add to beet pulp as it soaks to add a bit of flavor as a treat.

Too much can cause upsets but a handful is fine and the sweetness of the beetpulp helps.

I have an apple tree in my garden and always feed my horses the windfalls:eek:,they have never had any problems and thoroughly enjoy them but maybe I am doing the wrong thing :confused::rolleyes:

I have a cooking apple tree in the garden and for the past three years all the horses get them when they are ripe. They are only given a small amount, cut up in their feed. To many apples just like anything would prob upset their tummy due to the citrus acid.

newrider.com