interesting book on training aids

xloopylozzax

Jan 14, 2008
Leeds
training aids, in theory and practice by Elwyn Hartley Edwards

following the recent discussions, i raided my dads book shelf and found this book, which i think is a pretty good read, if only to look at some of the scarier aids :p

i didnt realise galvayne 'invented' training aids as well as teeth for a start (galvaynes groove ;)), and wondered why more people dont use his leading harness- in principle they seem fairly good especially for difficult horses...

another thing is distas bending tackle, which also looks useful, especially for lunging...

he also mentions the use of cruppers to encourage the horse to use its loins (so not hollowed) and also encourages submission which is good IMO...

so thoughts, opinions etc
as i read more, i will post more :)

he also mentions the use of cruppers to encourage the horse to use its loins (so not hollowed) and also encourages submission which is good IMO...

Oooo I'm not sure on that at all. I'm learning all the time but my initial reacation is 'not on my horse' :eek:

Could you pop some more info up here about why he thinks this is a useful option? Ta :D

you just want to make me type dont you :p

The Crupper
There was a time when i set my face against the use of a crupper on the grounds that it might encourage hollowing of the back. Of course it could do that if it was adjusted so tightly as to cause discomfort, but fitted properly more loose than tight, it has a notable effect upon the overall carriage, encouraging the horse to use its loins, without exerting anything but the lightest tension on the dock.
(talks about use in conjunction with side reins to 'bring the horse together'...
A further advantage is that it teaches the horse to accept what might be called handling-by-equipment-contact. Initially, most young horses will hump, clamping down the tail and stiffening the back agaisnt the unfamiliar of the crupper under their tail. They may even express their disapproval in a buck or two, but within minutes they will be going quite happily and another lesson in submission has been taight and learnt.

(quote taken from book, not my own words, i cant write that eloquently ;))

Last edited:
you didnt have laminitis as often cos horses were in hard work and werent pets- even kids ponys were fit because they would drive aswell.

im with you on we could do far worse than go back in time, but tbh i dont think ours are kept that much different to how the book suggests because of my parents :)

Interesting. I'm not totally convinced - but then I've never hated the crupper use inhand when adjusted so it isn't 'holding up' the tail if you know what I mean - it's the use of it to prevent saddle slippage with an adults weight etc I can't stand.

I'm interested by the comment
without exerting anything but the lightest tension on the dock
- tension isn't what we aim for - but a certain amount of 'tension' is positive I suppose, as otherwise you would end up with a body incapable of moving and we'd all flop around! I think I would want to see an image and/or action of what he referred to as a light tension - is it the necessary tension to function or is the horse tense (all be it mildly)? If you see what I mean...

Not slaying it at all ;) Just I always find those sorts of phrases kind of indistinct. Are there pictures in the book demonstrating it's use? :)

Can you elaborate on
distas bending tackle
LL? Never heard of it (or if I have, not by that name!) so curious :D

Also to add - good post LL.

I think it goes back to the old adage - rarely is any one piece of equipment/training aid, negative when used in the right, knowledgable hands. (of course there is exceptions :eek:)

Too right - sometimes the old ways are good - but as with everything I think there's always a balance to be found. There's more modern research and understanding which can be hugely beneficial, and equally, many of the 'old ways' :)D) are worth remembering, and keeping in practice :)

you just want to make me type dont you :p

Oh yes!!!!! :D

Still not convinced though tbh.

I don't like the thought of a narrow strap putting pressure round the tail bone. Mind you I'm coming at this from an adult riding point of view. I wonder if it means when lunged or longreined?

will get the old scanner fired up in a minute when ive finished cooking my sausages lol
the crupper is for lunging/inhand work :)

The very best type of crupper has a dock piece made of leather that is stuffed with linseed. The heat of the body, combined with the usual cleaning grease and the linseed, makes the leather soft and pliable.

never formally introduced myself before so hi everyone lol, interesting reading was thinking wud the crupper and side reins have a similar action to a pessoa

how dare you do other horsey related things rather than posting the required scans on NR?!?!

*slaps LL's wrists too :p*

newrider.com