Intensive Riding Courses

Hi all, Its been a while since I have posted a thread on this forum... I have a question I hope someone will be able to help me with.

I am wanting to find an establishment that does intensive Riding Courses for about a week (Theory could also be included)

The kind of thing I am looking for is lessons twice a day, and other time being spent grooming and general care for Horses, learning more about Stable Management etc.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that does this type of thing, or know anyone that may be able to help me

Thank- you :)

Hi Lesleyann :D

http://www.dalehotel.freeserve.co.uk/

I went to this place many years ago for a 5 day 'learn to ride' course - you are shown how to catch, groom and tack up the horses, have a lesson in the morning and go trail riding in the afternoons (which as well as being great fun are also quite instructional!). By the end of the week they have you going over jumps!

They also do an 'improve your riding' course, which if you already have the basics is very good - people who were on it when I was there said that it was tailored to what you wanted to do.

The food and accomodation are both great and it's a beautiful part of the world. If you don't drive you might feel a bit isolated but the local pubs are great!

The only reservation I would have in recommending it is that they are a bit paranoid about weights - I weighed 10st at the time and they put me on an enormous draught horse that I simply didn't have the strength to control - I went through 2 changes of horse before I found one who was right for me and it was a much smaller horse (although perfectly capable of carrying me, they were very 'oh, well, just this once we'll put you on her, but really you're much too heavy' :eek: )- but at least they were willing to change me over!

Hope this helps,

Cathy:D

try this, http://www.equestrian-centre.co.uk, they do lessons for complete beginners, and there was 2 girls who went when i was there who hadn't ridden ever, they were cantering alone by the time they left! not sure if they do stuff on tackin up, but give em a try, theyre in Wrexham, and although some people didn't enjoy their stay their (you know who you are), i thought it was fantastic

Thank-you so much for your help, I have ordered a Brochure from Northumbria Holidays and I think I'll give them a call over the weekend too.

Its great to read your experiences, so I can get the real picture of what a place is like

Thanks again... I hope I will be able to book something soon as its going to be a Birthday present off my brother :)

Ditto Joy70, if you look on the Equestrian Centre's website, they do actually have a riding and horsecare week 30th Nov to 5th Dec. It isn't a course they run that often, but the different programmes are all listed on the site.

my idea of heaven, working somewhere like that, but again Money is such an issue

I need a rich man, so i can ride & school all day

Hi again,

Just thought I'd let you know I've booked a week at the Equestrian Centre in February... I cant wait I just know the next couple of months are going to drag by :(

I have wanted to do this all my life so I just hope it lives up to my expectations Im sure it will though - hee hee Equestrian Centre here I come :)

:D im so jealous of you now ;) you will have a fantastic time! just as long as you don't expect the hotel to be like the Ritz!! its warm dry & comfy! very homly in fact!

The horses are great and instructors & yard staff are very friendly

Put up a thread when youve been and let us know how you got on!

Im hoping to go back again next year - need to start saving :rolleyes:

We've just booked a 3 day jumping course at the Equestrian Centre end of January - I can't wait! Something to look forward to after Christmas and gives me chance to get my horse fit for 3 hours lessons a day!

hello im going nuts trying to look for sumwhere, where i can go on a course and learn loads for a few days, im 17 and live in berkshire area i dnt realy want to travel more than a few hours away i want to learn more about riding and horse care but i dnt seem to be having any luck argggg sum1 pls help :mad: ui would then be happy :)

newrider.com