Indoor Show Jumping

Bertie

Nov 6, 2003
South Manchester, UK
Visit site
The indoor SJ circuit starts locally to us at the end of January and I have put it in my diary to enter the local indoor SJ, showing and WH comp's.

My mare and I have not entered anything before, my mare has done showing and WH about 7-years ago with previous owner. So this would be our first outing together.

The SJ comp does a clear round and then an absolute beginners class at 1'9" - would you think this would be a sensible option for a novice pair?? She can jump and easily clear 3ft without a problem.

Classes -

Class 1 Absolute Beginners* (Genuine Beginners Only) 1' 9" (only allowed to enter Clear round with this class)

Class 2 Novice ** 2' 3" (only allowed to enter Clear round with this class)

Class 3 Improvers (competitors entering this class are not eligible to enter classes 6 and 7 2' 6"

As a first outing I thought this would be low pressure due to height and let us both get used to the atmosphere etc what are peoples thoughts??

If it's your first outing together i would enter the clear round a couple of times so you get a good feeling of how she's going to behave and there's no pressure. If this goes well then i'd enter one class.

It depends on what you jump at home??

Personaly I'd do the clear round and the 1ft9, it's nothing complicated, and you could easily trot round if the need occurs!

Good luck =]

Thanks guys, at home we've been jumping small WH courses of up to around 3'3" so have no worries about the height of 1'9".

Does anyone know if you can enter Clear round more than once on the same day?? I know it's a stupid question not for the rosette but for the experience for me and horse, think she would be more settled 2nd time round etc

You'll have no trouble then!

You'll have to ask the organiser of the show if you can enter more than once, I've been to a couple of comps where you can't jump the same horse in one class twice - not even the clear round *rolls eyes*

If you've been jumping those heights at home, why don't you enter a clear round class, or the beginners, and see how you get on? My mare is very unsettled if we jump indoors, out of sight of other horses and ponies, and has gone through a period of refusing 2ft fences out of anxiety. She jumps much bigger fences at home though, or at summer shows in open arenas where she can see other horses around her.

If your horse is fine, you could always enter a bigger class later in the day, or next time you are out and about. Have fun, and tell us all about it. ;)

My first class I entered 1ft9 and clear round, both my old share horse and I could manage bigger but I'd never jumped a course before let alone at a show.

If that goes well you can always enter another class, 1ft9 was good as I didn't have to worry about actual jumping, just remembering the course and steering!:D

Good luck!

newrider.com