In hand things

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I’m not riding at the moment but keen to try as much as I can with Zi in hand. I had a quick google and there are some rubbish YouTube’s and sites, that don’t tell me anything! I’d ideally like a book, can anyone recommend one? Just want something to jazz things up a bit as he’s getting bored and so am I! Also when working your horse in hand (assuming you do) do you tack up or just head collar them? ?

There's so much you can do - whether you want to go down the classical dressage in-hand route, natural horsemanship type groundwork or mix them up :)

I joined Straightness Training, which although slow going, I'm really seeing the improvement in Pete's movement. We do low and forward stretching but also teaching things like shoulder fore, shoulder in in hand etc.

I do lots of natural horsemanship style stuff - so backing up from a feel, fore quarter and hind quarter yields, moving sideways- sideways against a fence, then in the middle of the school.

Do you have poles? Polework even in-hand can really help their coordination and strengthening their muscles - I mix up poles with raised poles but there's all sorts of patterns you can do. You can straddle a pole, build a,straight line, curves on circles, build squares and I often mix them all up into one exercisem

You can also build a U or S bend, which is great. Can they go through it forwards? Can they back through it?
If you cones or barrels then you can weave in and out of them.

I also make stationary areas - so set up a square and can the horse stay for 2, 5 seconds and build it up.

What about desensitising? I've used all sorts from tarpaulin, flags, bunting, umbrella's, gym balls- scary corners, scary corridors. Teaching the. To put their foot in hula hoops can be quite challenging for them too

If you have planks, you can make a bridge.

Do you long line? That's great fun too.

Re: headcollar or tack - it totally depends on what I'm doing and why :)

@Pete's Mum thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't poles yet, but can look to buying some. I've had fence posts that we're not using laid out for him to walk and bend around - but would love a proper set of poles.
I don't long line, I wouldn't know where to begin.................being honest it all looks a bit confusing.

Books I like the following.
Ignore prices, search for it secondhand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/School-Exercises-Poles-Claire-Lilley/dp/0851319939

Also schooling with groundpoles same author.
Bombproof your horse
Bhs Trec

Do I tack up, no.
Lunging is just off the bridle, longreining is bridle plus roller.
Usually wear my hat though keeps my head warm. :)

S bends are great, you can use cones as markers or the football markers that I think come in packs of 25. Or windmills, flags.
It's a really useful pattern to do as if you ever come across the pedestrian bollards you know your horse can fit through and not fuss. :D

I longreined the track today and you would think I was asking her to walk to John o groats! We had the initial walk to her and nap because she doesn't want to go along the top, then changed rein and we had the nap along the bottom.
I can do a serpentine which is another pattern I like along with cover leaf and flat figures of eight.
Longreining would really be worth learning because you can do everything on the ground that you can ridden. I used to do dressage tests for something to do.

I also like @Pete's Mum suggestion of the square and standing in it. You can make it a circle or a type of ground tying. Mine is a right little madam for moving at the moment when I am trying to do things with her and she's wants to get going out of the field. She is used to just being caught and tied on the yard, so I could teach her to high tie to a tree branch or whatever it's called. I always liked the look of how the western folk can just throw a rope over a twig and the horse just stays put.
So that could start tomorrow with selecting the right twig. :)

Last edited:
@newforest when you say lunging is just off the bridle, do you just clip the lunge line onto one side of the rings or pass through both? I have only ever used a cavesson for lunging - it's an old leather one with rings on the noseband.

I have had couple of weeks off due to my back so today, started off with Suze again. We do the french version of NH. We did drop her head, curl around me on both sides. I moved to withers, asked for flexion. Asked for back up. Then asked for her to move laterally with pressure on girth to mimic how i hope her to move off leg when in traffic. Then we did work in the field serpentines, weaving around Buddy and Fleur, backing up around them, all just from walking at her shoulder. At the moment I am trying to teach her what i want her to do under saddle. But in the past she has walked over tarps, feet onto box, gone under flags, had flags and other objects all over her and around here. We used bits of pipes, she got used to being touched all over with all sorts of objects to build her confidence. I am trying to keep her as light as a feather, she goes instantly into flexion on touch of little finger, and hoping to get that when ridden. I use her bitless bridle which i have modified to mimic a rope halter with ropes under her chin, as she understands that pressure. I intend to ride her pretty much western/neckreining and leave her to figure out where she wants her head to be, like i do with Buddy. On facebook go look at Ellen Cochrane's page, she is world agility champion with her mule Inara and you can see the stuff she does bridleless.

@newforest when you say lunging is just off the bridle, do you just clip the lunge line onto one side of the rings or pass through both? I have only ever used a cavesson for lunging - it's an old leather one with rings on the noseband.
Pass the line through both as i am leading on the highway to get to where we lunge now. I have never put a cavesson or side reins etc.

Yes @Trewsers you have to clip it through under the chin. You mustn't clip on one side only or you pull the bit through there mouth if they are pulling on it being numpty.
You could also thread through from the side you are standing, up over the poll and back down the other side and clip onto the bit.

I like using the caveson and actually prefer it. I prefer not to touch the mouth when lunging. Use it for riding. I have wondered if lunging on a bit hardens the mouth.

The caveson is great on chunky and he respects it. Billy cannot tolerate it though, due to his headshaking. He is actually worse even if i put a nose net on it. So i had to resort to a bridle with billy. But i removed the nose band. I have an old bridle that is no longer safe for riding with so i repurposed it just for lunging billy with. Although that wont be happening anymore because of his leg. Its just too much even kept out on a large circle. I used to swear by lunging if i could ride. It was my go to in the winter months to keep the horse chilled. But when i questioned his soundness the most is when hes being lunged.

The inhand stuff ive done has just been in headcollar. Ive just been doing the inhand clicker stuff with chunky.

Long lining is actually pretty easy.
The biggest thing is right length reins and desensitising round the back legs.
I was taught for safety before i ever put down parallel to the body and near the back legs to go over the withers and desensitise the back area for several weeks first so if the horse does panic its not made worse by it going round back legs if they whip round on you in a panic.

With the driving the horse gets both the reins over the back and the tracers running parallel to the body.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Yes @Trewsers you have to clip it through under the chin. You mustn't clip on one side only or you pull the bit through there mouth if they are pulling on it being numpty.
You could also thread through from the side you are standing, up over the poll and back down the other side and clip onto the bit.

I like using the caveson and actually prefer it. I prefer not to touch the mouth when lunging. Use it for riding. I have wondered if lunging on a bit hardens the mouth.

The caveson is great on chunky and he respects it. Billy cannot tolerate it though, due to his headshaking. He is actually worse even if i put a nose net on it. So i had to resort to a bridle with billy. But i removed the nose band. I have an old bridle that is no longer safe for riding with so i repurposed it just for lunging billy with. Although that wont be happening anymore because of his leg. Its just too much even kept out on a large circle. I used to swear by lunging if i could ride. It was my go to in the winter months to keep the horse chilled. But when i questioned his soundness the most is when hes being lunged.

The inhand stuff ive done has just been in headcollar. Ive just been doing the inhand clicker stuff with chunky.

I was taught for safety before i ever put down parallel to the body and near the back legs to go over the withers and desensitise the back area for several weeks first so if the horse does panic its not made worse by it going round back legs if they whip round on you in a panic.

With the driving the horse gets both the reins over the back and the tracers running parallel to the body.
I wasn't sure if having her off the bridle would harden her mouth, but no is the answer.
You are pushing from behind into a feel on the bridle, so when I am riding the adjustments with the reins is to feel on the bit, and the same with lunging. Even if I have her on the halter that's underneath her chin it's the same on or off her. At no time do we ride with reins on the nose, so to me there is no connection.

I thought that about clipping onto just one side, I decided against it a while back. OH was on about clipping it on one side but I knew it didn't feel right or look right. We ended up with the old leather lunge cavesson in the end.

What about some clicker training too. Doesn't have to be for anything in particular, can just train him to stand on something or touch something. You can just use your voice so don't need to buy anything or clickers are really cheap

I have that poles book
Its good.

I also have those 101 exercises books
There is a ground one.

Newforest .. i loved her w the tarp.

You can lead over and thru and into things like the box.
Then work toward sending him into .. thru etc from further away.

My favorite are the big antique tractor tires to. Walk thru etc

They are hard to find
I treat mine like GOLD.

motorcycle tires are good too

You can take a car tire or truck tire etc
Fill it w packed dirt for a pedistool
You need to put it where its going to stay

Reactions: Trewsers
I have that poles book
Its good.

There is a ground one.

They are hard to find
I treat mine like GOLD.

That's a great idea with the tyres. I think the farmer may have spares that he doesn't want. Shame really as I inherited some and threw those away!!!

I have that poles book
Its good.

There is a ground one.

They are hard to find
I treat mine like GOLD.

I have two tyres that I use to stop the water buckets being knocked over.

newrider.com