I want to go on holiday, possibly a riding holiday?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ideally somewhere warm but I'm not too sure if I would be safe riding abroad and maybe it would be too scary unless they spoke English. Anyone been on something they would recommend to me, ideally if you went on your own so I could get an idea of if it was awkward or not etc

The only two places I've been were the heavy horse place up in Cumbria and a trekking centre down at Nolton in Wales, neither were a proper 'holiday' just days out.
I'm sure though most places abroad will speak enough English for you to get, I'm sure there used to be someone on here who did riding holidays in Spain I think it was?

I did a holiday in October herding cattle on horseback on Dartmoor. It was neither warm nor dry but it was a fantastic experience, and herding means you have a great sense of purpose.

I can't remember who went riding in Spain last year but I'm sure they'll tell you, they had a wonderful time.

The Dartmoor holiday comes with a meet and ride the cob invite. Ideally a not in season day. :giggle:

I went to Portugal by myself and had a ball but that was when Joosie was in Portugal so I went where she worked so I met Joosie IRL and her boss at the time who was absolutely lovely (and she was English but moved over there). I'm not actually sure if she still does holidays now though, she might! It'd be worth asking Joosie for contact details if she does as I had such a good time on some lovely horses!

I did a holiday in October herding cattle on horseback on Dartmoor. It was neither warm nor dry but it was a fantastic experience, and herding means you have a great sense of purpose.

I can't remember who went riding in Spain last year but I'm sure they'll tell you, they had a wonderful time.

It was me. I went with Ride Rio Grande. Cheaper than a uk hol even with flight and nothing was too much effort for them. It's a husband and wife team with 4 horses but fab!I went on my own and loved it. Beautiful part of the world.

Thankyou for all the ideas everyone. Now my boyfriend has said he wants to come wherever I go so think horse holiday is out of the question as he doesn't ride. But maybe I can sneak a short one in or plan for next year!

Thankyou for all the ideas everyone. Now my boyfriend has said he wants to come wherever I go so think horse holiday is out of the question as he doesn't ride. But maybe I can sneak a short one in or plan for next year!

If he likes mountain biking, Clive will take him out while you ride with Clare with Ride Rio Grande. There's a pool and beautiful walks and I am planning to go back with husband and kids. You make your own timetable and ride as much or little as you like. For 3 days it was £300 inc everything (booze too, a meal at a tapas bar we rode to) apart from flights.

I know somewhere that does rides and quads or paintball for the lads. :smile:

newrider.com