I feel like I'm being a wuss, I think I need a virtual slap!

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm sat in the house frozen, even my dog is shivering (he is old) and I am worrying perhaps I should have changed the ponies rugs, the tb is a bit of a skinny TB but I left him in a no fill rain sheet, jess isn't a wuss and the thickest rug she owns is a medium weight, but she isn't normally clipped though I did only take her chest and half her neck off and she is also in a no fill sheet, but I'm sat here thinking they might be cold, I don't normally rug until there is at least the threat of a frost..I think I'm loosing it o_O

*virtual slap* :p

I'm sure they will survive the night. At this time of year it is always so difficult to know what rug to use. IMO they are much better under-rugged than over-rugged. It is much easier for them to warm themselves up than it is to cool themselves down!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Its hard at this time of year - I used to struggle to know what rug to put Joe in during the day. I am sure they'll be fine. Its raining here, but I don't think its overly cold. Don't forget, if you're sat still you will feel colder than you would if you were doing housework etc. Try not to worry.

Reactions: Jessey
They do have a whole 5' round of hay each :oops: And both have access to shelters and it's not raining, in my defence 5 degrees is chilly compared to the 16 we had yesterday, but you are all right :D

I am a worry wart. I've spent the whole day stressing about the new horse at the yard, who is clearly very unsettled and anxious, and somehow managed to cut her face this morning. I brought Roxy in to keep her company - which poor Roxy wasn't delighted about - and am worried about tomorrow now! So I sympathise with your worries, but they'll be fine, it's a bit chilly out but I don't have horse fur. They do!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I really don't normally worry, it's only that we did 22 miles yesterday and got soaked twice and I don't like hard worked muscles getting cold and I was bloomin freezing with the heating on, but sufficiently slapped ;) and having eaten (and therefore warmed up) I'm not worrying now :)

Reactions: Gimp
Um, mine is out naked with high trace clip one field away from the edge of a cliff.
That said, please see my barn and don't fret, its sand school size.

I also think it's different for us because we go in and out of centrally heated homes and buildings where we feel the quick change in temp. Horses are out in it all the time so don't feel the change so harshly.

Another virtual slap coming your way..... (hope it didn't hurt too much).

Your horses will be fine, it's not really that cold. It's just that we are used to it being so warm.

Horses are just big radiators, perfectly capable of keeping themselves warm! During the winter I always keep her tied up outside the stable while I muck out so I can go and warm my hands up on her!

Happy is the key - if the coat was cool on the outside then it is only because it was doing its job!
She's clipped and cool to the touch and even where she has coat its not much coat, she never grows much, I ordered her a no fill with a neck a couple of weeks ago, I was hoping not to clip before it arrived but it didn't quite work out.

newrider.com