I can't canter with my heels down! Please help me!

silver

Apr 3, 2000
Visit site
Hello! I am a pretty new rider, (about 1 year of riding) and I have a really big problem that I never really fixed. I can never keep my heels down when I'm cantering! Even right before a canter, my heels are down, but just when a start cantering, my heels fly up, and my position gets all wierd. What am I doing wrong and what do I have to do?! Please help me!!!

Hello!
Try when your cantering to let your leg lengthen and drop your heels. This helps me to canter nicely... Don't think of anything but keeping the heels down and your legs nice and comfortably on the horses sides. (oh and it helps to remember where your going!)
Goodluck!
Kristy

Try this:
1)Ask for a canter. Then drop your stirrups and focus on nothing else other than speed control, steering and relaxing. Let your legs hang for one lap of the arena don't worry about your heels.
2)Then on the second lap start concentrating on your leg position. (Forget about your heels-this is about legs) Try to stay relaxed and get your leg so it feels/is right. It helps if someone can coach you.
3)Then in your 3rd lap around, start focusing on dropping your heels. If you start to lose your upper body or legs, go back a stage and start working up again. One goal at a time.

It helps me to work in layers. Give yourself time (one lap or more for each goal).

I hope this helps ;)

Hey! I've also ridden for 1 year total! Okay, I was like that too when I started cantering...but now it's much better. Ask yourself...are your stirrups too short? If your stirrups are too long (even though they seem right in trot and walk, you'll need more leverage to keep your seat in the saddle), your legs will fly out. Mine did, hope this helps and good luck!

Try canter on a steady horse without your stirrups. Or get a friend to lunge you, this may be difficult if you don't have a balanced school master horse who is used to being lunged. It can be very difficult on an unbalanced horse while on the lunge.
Invest in a private lesson or two. Practice in an enclosed arena without stirrups and you'll soon fine you can sit beautifully balanced with heels down in harmony.

Hi

Like you, I have ridden for just one year. I had a lesson some time ago and could not stop myself from bouncing in the saddle. My instructor said, "OK, quit and cross your stirrups!" and then she told me to ask for canter. I was worried but had enough faith in her to understand it would be OK. It was wonderful and it taught me to sit deep AND lengthen my legs. The "Heels up" thing is a nervous reaction to speed. You are probably gripping with your knees, which brings the lower leg up. Wally is right, have a go without stirrups on a trustworthy steed - by while you're enjoying your canter, watch out for the transition down to trot - not so easy without stirrups!

i used to have the same problem, and i've been riding a long time. up until last year, i would always lose my stirrups when i asked for the canter or my feet would slip up. finally, i went for a lesson in victoria and the teacher there gave me a solution that has made my riding so much easier. she told me that because the muscles around my achilles tendon were short, it was hard for me to keep my heels down for prolonged periods without really sore muscles, or to even have the right position. she gave me an exercise that really helps, and you can do anywhere:

all you do is, wherever, whenever, find a wall, a desk leg, whatever and do the stretch that stratches your calf (put your toes on the wall and lean in.) you should feel a stretch right along the back of your leg. do a few of these, holding each for 30 seconds, alternating legs. it's great! it helped me in like a week, seriously!!

Well, try it! I guarentee that it will help you keep your heels down and give u a better seat!

:) :) :) :D :D :D :) :) :) :D :D :D :) :) :) :D :D :D :) :) :)

Silver - I used to do exactly the same thing: any canter and I was guaranteed to lose my stirrups. I absolutely agree with Wally and Jo - if you can, do lots of work in canter with no stirrups at all. When I first cantered with no stirrups I actually found it easier than with, and it's brilliant for developing your seat. The other great thing about it is that you stop relying on your stirrups to keep you in place, and you come to know that if you did lose a stirrup in the future, there's no cause to panic. Asti's exercies sound great too.

I have ridden for 1 year and also have the same problem. Keep your elbows by your side, and let the horse canter BENEATH you. With every stride of the canter, concentrate on pushing your heels down. It helped me so much, I hand gallop now.

ive ridden for a year as well. i was wondering the same thing and trust me, dropping the stirrups helps! it strenghtens your legs, just do it at least 10min every time you ride and you'll even feel the difference. Also, when you canter, your heels don't need to be as far down as in the walk. utilize your stirrups for added support, but don't rely on them. your ankle and lower leg should be hinged so that you are fluent in your riding so your heels may not be down all the time. hope this helps!

newrider.com