I am moving forward-slowly

ccucumber

Jul 18, 2007
Firstly before I ramble on about whats happened I seriously thought about posting back on NR. I have re-read some of your posts on my other thread a million times and thought there were a lot of replies that were less than helpful and very sarcastic. But I have decided to give this board a second chance as some of you have been very polite and thought about my feelings, both on the thread and in PM's.

So lets get back to the point.

I have found an instructor as recomended by someone on here, she seems to be very nice. She came out and we had a good chat and did quite a bit of groundwork with us. But I will reserve all judgement till we have had some real lessons together. She did mention clicker training to us, so that is what I am also looking in to. Maybe all the groundwork will help us to build a bond together, which we need. Saying that we hacked out and she was the perfect horse, a total gem. That has started to build our relationship, I suppose every good day is a step forward for the two of us.

The other good news I have about my darling gem of a horse is that she actually only measures 16.3-being so short myself I have to rely on others to measure her for me and it looks like they got it wrong. This new instructor has legs as long as a Giraffee so hopefully her measurements were spot on.
Anyway the point of this post was to give you a very short update and to ask your opinions of clicker training. I know nothing about it myself. I will please ask you to not be sarcastic though in your replies. I am trying to do my best in getting myself out of this situation and I dont need people squashing my self esteem any more.

Hi ccucumber :) I'm sorry, I must have missed your other thread so I hope I'm not covering old ground here!
I started trying clicker training with my horse a few months ago now, and we are both really enjoying it.
It took me a few weeks to understand what I was trying to do (I over-analysed everything and got myself into a muddle :rolleyes: as usual) but after that it all got much easier.
If I've understood your post rightly, you may have been struggling a bit with your horse? In which case I would recommend starting clicker training with her behind her stable door at first, so that you have a clear physical barrier while she learns that she has to "earn" a reward by doing the right thing, rather than steal a treat by mugging you!
There are some good step-by-step tips in this thread if you would like to read about it before your instructor starts with you.
Also some excellent articles here if you find you would like more in-depth explanations.
YouTube has some truly inspiring videos, some of which are mentioned on this thread. Or you can do a search for "clicker training" on YouTube to find many more.
I think clicker training is well worth doing and it makes whatever you're working on so much more fun! :)

I've tried a bit of clicker training on my horse & it's been useful to get her to co-operate with having her feet trimmed. Tbh I have never been interested in using it for riding though, I like to get on & do stuff pretty spontaneously and I feel like have enough by way of aids with my arms, legs, bum & voice to get the results I'm after. I love the relationship I have with my horse, on the whole we seem to 'zone' together really well, and I can't see how using a clicker will add to this. It may well be a very useful way to teach precise schooling movements like you get in high level dressage but currently I've no interest in doing this. Anyway, I don't think I could clicker train my horse to fly over xc jumps, which is my passion - she does it of her own accord because she loves it too & that's fine by me!

I haven't tried clicker so can't comment on that but wanted to say that the fact she was so good on a hack is really positive.

I hope you continue to get on well with the instructor.

I haven't tried clicker so can't comment on that but wanted to say that the fact she was so good on a hack is really positive.

I hope you continue to get on well with the instructor.

Rode her out again today and she was lovely. I know we are going to have bad days but I am starting to enjoy this again.

Well done for both of you!!!

Ignore the sarcastic comments on here!! Most of us are nice but you have to get the odd one on every board :rolleyes:

I'm glad that your starting to enjoy your horse again. Sorry I cant help about the clicker training but I've never really had a go!!! Played about with it a bit but never went full blown with it!! Kia respinded as soon as he found out that the click meant sweeties lol!!!

I think I've said before but **PICS** Please please please!!!

Nikki xxxxx :D:D:D

Try and get hold of this book: 'Clicker Training For Your Horse' by Alexandra Kurland. It really is excellent.

I tried clicker training on my old loan horse about 4 years ago. To be honest, I got abit stuck with it. I managed to teach the horse to touch some cones in a certain order (see the book!) but I couldn't manage to transfer this to any ridden work. Some people on the yard were very synical about this and didn't think that horses could be trained in this way. I disagree - you just need someone to teach you how to do it correctly. Your instructor sounds great - I hope that you see some success.

Re the sarcastic comments - really take no notice. The vast majority of people on here just want to help each other and talk about horses. Unfortunatly it only takes one person to turn a thread nasty and it really is a shame it happens.

Re the sarcastic comments - really take no notice. The vast majority of people on here just want to help each other and talk about horses. Unfortunatly it only takes one person to turn a thread nasty and it really is a shame it happens.[/QUOTE]

I agree - most of the time NR people are really helpful so don't be put off posting!! Good luck with the clicker training too.

Hi :D Good to see that you've decided to stick with it :)

Clicker is brilliant :) I never 'got' it before but once I saw it being done properly have found it to be a godsend. We use it for everything from groundwork to ridden work and Saff responds really well with it. We've taught her Spanish Walk with clicker and are currently working on other stuff too!

I went to the EE Conference at the weekend and Becky Holden gave a talk on clicker which was really interesting. She trains with clicker up to high levels including piaffe, passage, Spanish Walk etc. She's doing a DVD at the moment which will be well worth the money!

Good luck with your girl, your new instructor and clicker :D

All the best x

Welcome back - I saw your last post and I honestly don't know why you got the response you did. I've been on here a couple of months and have asked lots of questions and always had very helpful and encouraging responses. Anyway, stick with the forum as it's full of good information.

Let me know how you get on with the clicker training - I'd like to try it but just never have so far. My boy is a sweetie but his ground manners aren't great. Nothing bad, just won't stand still!

Welcome back - I saw your last post and I honestly don't know why you got the response you did. I've been on here a couple of months and have asked lots of questions and always had very helpful and encouraging responses. Anyway, stick with the forum as it's full of good information.

That was a weird thread; people who usually talk good sense about horses just started posting total nonsense. I've no idea why it happened – maybe it was something to do with another board, or they know each other in real life ... I couldn't tell if it was sarcastic, spiteful, or just silly. Maybe it was meant to be funny. In any case, I don't think you shold be put off by it ccucumber.

Linda

As weird or strange as it was they wont get rid of me that easily. I am in for the long haul and I dont up give that easily.

SO I am here to stay and post till my hearts content.

ETA-there have been a few mentions of another board on threads and in a few pm's I have had. Is there somewhere else I can go and ask advice too? This is one of the first boards I have found but would be interested in other peoples views too.

Last edited:
As weird or strange as it was they wont get rid of me that easily. I am in for the long haul and I dont up give that easily.

SO I am here to stay and post till my hearts content.

great :) you need plenty of that attitude, and you'll get out of this with you and your horse just fine

its depressing when folk give up after 5 minutes :(

looking forward to reading about your struggles (there will be many) but more imprtantly your successes (there will be at least as many successes as struggles)

That was a weird thread; people who usually talk good sense about horses just started posting total nonsense. I've no idea why it happened – maybe it was something to do with another board, or they know each other in real life ... I couldn't tell if it was sarcastic, spiteful, or just silly. Maybe it was meant to be funny. In any case, I don't think you shold be put off by it ccucumber.

Linda

It certainly seemed more silly than anything else to me, and ccucumber was being silly along with everyone else for most of it - no idea why she suddenly thinks it was all nasty sarcasm :confused:

It certainly seemed more silly than anything else to me, and ccucumber was being silly along with everyone else for most of it - no idea why she suddenly thinks it was all nasty sarcasm :confused:

I never said NASTY sarcasm just sarcastic. Yes I did join in, but to hell if you were going to laugh at me. I may as well have joined in.

Plus, of course, you have to remember that your poor thread was derailed right from the start by the hilariously judgemental 'New' member "SmellyHeather", on her first ever post to the board. Quite the most clumsy and obvious troll I have ever seen. I think she made it nearly to the end of that thred before being banned along with "BobTheBuilder" - another blindingly obvious alter-troll created by whoever's up to the mischief at the moment. With all that going on, it was no real big suprise that your poor thread went to (humourous and silly) worms so quickly, is it ?

I don't think anyone was being sarcastic - just silly. With the alters chipping in so early, the poor thread was never going to be taken seriously, as quite often people will invent names with vegetables in and extra letters, just to poke fun at the longer established posters on the board - who's to know, really if you're not another, less obvious, troller ? See - nobody wants to be silly or not take you seriously, they just don't want to be caught out like this : 'ha ha, let's start another thread about a girl who's overhorsed and see if we can't get pompous old KateWooten and those others drawn in ?'

You can see how some people might find sport in that ? Anyway, that's all Off Topic - just wanted to explain why sometimes threads can spin off wildly when people invent alter-egos for sport - since you're new to forums and will obviously never have heard of such a thing. I believe it's quite common.

Plus, of course, you have to remember that your poor thread was derailed right from the start by the hilariously judgemental 'New' member "SmellyHeather", on her first ever post to the board. Quite the most clumsy and obvious troll I have ever seen. I think she made it nearly to the end of that thred before being banned along with "BobTheBuilder" - another blindingly obvious alter-troll created by whoever's up to the mischief at the moment. With all that going on, it was no real big suprise that your poor thread went to (humourous and silly) worms so quickly, is it ?

I don't think anyone was being sarcastic - just silly. With the alters chipping in so early, the poor thread was never going to be taken seriously, as quite often people will invent names with vegetables in and extra letters, just to poke fun at the longer established posters on the board - who's to know, really if you're not another, less obvious, troller ? See - nobody wants to be silly or not take you seriously, they just don't want to be caught out like this : 'ha ha, let's start another thread about a girl who's overhorsed and see if we can't get pompous old KateWooten and those others drawn in ?'

You can see how some people might find sport in that ? Anyway, that's all Off Topic - just wanted to explain why sometimes threads can spin off wildly when people invent alter-egos for sport - since you're new to forums and will obviously never have heard of such a thing. I believe it's quite common.

Well thank you so much. I just wanted to try and get things right with this horse and yes things did get out of hand. But lets forgive and forget and live happily ever after.
I am sure I will be needing a lot more help very soon, and this will be the place I turn to.

newrider.com