Hunting for new horse again

lisae

Jun 15, 2000
NY, USA
www.nyhaflinger.com
The hunt is on again for an affordable companion for Mara the green Haflinger. I’ve had to send the Appaloosa loan mare home, nothing bad happened it’s just that the two mares were never put out together. One reason, husband was worried the loaner would be injured, and the second reason was that when either would go into season, the squealing would start up again. (At 2:00AM!) And when I emailed the owner, she confessed that they really missed Cheryl and were wondering how they could get her back without offending me. So that worked out for the best- and I swear as that horse was getting on the trailer, she looked over at me and nodded ‘thank you’. It was a very pointed look and it gave me a start!

I’m going to put up a pic of a filly I just looked at yesterday, I am very tempted. In my fairly low price range, I’m seeing a lot of older horses, weanlings, and horses that have been ignored in the backyard for so long that everyone is afraid to handle them.

This girl is a 13 hand 3 year old Standardbred – pony cross saved from an out of state meat auction barn in March, (halter broke only), brought to a very nice barn in our area, fed, trimmed, vacs and handled for a month, then backed lightly. She is so sweet, she just loves everyone at the barn and attention, and went very nicely for the teenager riding her. Mare allowed me to touch her all over and pick up a foot. Responsive to people is good when the poor little thing was obviously so neglected.

She still needs weight put on and if I got her, she would be allowed to grow another year before being brought back into work. My only concerns, which I asked the barn owner, were that once she fills out and gets over her abusive start, she might prove a handful, but the owner thought not, she believes the filly is a truly calm animal by nature.

At the trot, the filly overreaches/interferes (strikes her fronts with her hinds) which she might outgrow? Seller couldn’t warrant a guess on that. Other concerns, long term health issues from near starvation at this age? Apparently her feet had not been trimmed for so long that they were in the elf-shoe shape. (shudder) but her feet looked excellent for it being such a short time since she was rescued.

It looked like she might also be only two, would need my vet to give his opinion on that, but she’s only been lightly worked.

Opinions?

Attachments

• penny2.jpg
    penny2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 21
Poor little pumpkin! She looks so tiny and the rider has her knees so up her shoulder, next thing you know she may just stay on by wrapping her legs around her neck! LOL. No wonder she doesn't get the fronts out of the way in time. If you buy her will you promise to let her grow up some more first? ;)

newrider.com