How's he looking?, condition help please *pics*

Asima

Right only ever looked after good doers so I'm abit iffy. Right Rusty is a 15.2 Standardbred about 15 years old. He's been left in a garden for a couple of years and in the nine years his owners had him I don't think they had his teeth done. He grinds so they look like this atm

IMG_0159.jpg

I don't think he'll start doing really well until he has his teeth done next week, but he was ribby and quite dull when we went to see him, he's been with us a month. He's living out without rug atm as he's ripped everyone he's had so far beyond repair but have a new one on it's way.

So how do you think he's looking?

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure the poor chap will feel a lot better after a visit from the dentist. Sounds like you want to give him plenty of TLC so I'm sure we'll see a much happier, healthier looking horsey in no time. Good luck with him and keep us posted of his progress :)

:D Thanks, I'm trying hard

Allen and Page Calm and Condition, Alfa A Original, Formula4Feet and Naf Superflex, last two because he had awful feet and was really stiff as he hadn't had much room to move around. And about two nets of haylage a day.

Sounds like you have it spot on so when his teeth improve so will he. Kira was very scrawney when she came to me, alfa a oil and pink powder with what you are currently feeding worked execptionally well :)

I was going to get Alfa A Oil but the feed place had run out :rolleyes: he said he was getting a delivery next week so I'll change it then and will go get some pink powder. Thank you :)

My tb x han mare dropped a lot of weight coming into winter, even though I was feeding her morning and evening with a lot of weight-gain feeds.

I was a bit stuck for ideas, so went to the feed shop and bought a feed balancer, pink powder. According to the feed lady, she said it is supposed to optimise whatever feed you are giving, so I though I'd try a bit!

And I can honestly say it is super, my mare almost looks fat now.

On a side note, my sisters horse also dropped weight, though her dropping were quite runny. She put her on Thrive which solidified the droppings and settled her belly, and she has also put her on the pink powder now. Wonderful!

But of course, all the feed balancers in the world are no good if the horse's teeth aren't up to the job yet!

I've also just put Lantern onto build-up cubes which have helped a lot, will also be having barley from this week. With all this TLC your giving him he'll look different in no time!

newrider.com
Back