How to make a horse more foward going.

Bays_R_Best

I have recently started Part loaning a TBx. He is a slightly older horse (16) and was Unfit and underweight when his owners bought him (I started loaning the day he came to his new home). But over the last couple of months we have managed to build up his weight and stamina. The only problems for a TB, this horse has no inclination to work forward. If he was any slower he would be going backwards . It is a constant struggle to get him to work at all. He has a good diet and after half an hours schooling is not sweated up or puffing, so not that unfit, (unlike me:eek:).

I do just think that he is lazy. Nothing seems to work, he is really dead to the leg, even riding him spurs doesn't help much. Its a shame, because he's a lovely lad, and when I can get him to work has such lovely paces, and perfect bend. He would be fantastic for dressage, but only if I can get him to work more forward.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience on giving there horse a bit of Vavavoom.

Lexi is similar - responsive but erring on the side of lazy and I have also tried spurs - this did not work and she almost recoiled!!

The best way I have found (and I sold my last horse as he was soooooo lazy) is to ask with a lightish aid, if no response, then a short sharp kick, if nothing still then back your leg up with a whip.... if he then shoots forward reward him and keep repeating this until 'the penny drops'. My last horse did become more responsive, but just wasn't forward thinking, and I found riding him very hard work.

Also, does he respond to your voice? Lexi is VERY responsive to my voice, and alot of the time I can encourage her forward by making clicking or 'kissing' noises....:D

FIrst of all, I am assuming the horse in question is healthy, pain-free and comfortable in its tack and with its rider and environment.

I don't generally like to anthropomorphise BUT in this case, think of your horse as a child and look at the work you are giving him.

Half an hours' schooling is like making a child do mathematical exercises. Not all of them will enjoy it. Some will tolerate it and do it quickly because they've learnt that is the way to get it done and dusted and go out to play; many will approach it unwillingly, do them slowly and reluctantly, and be easily distracted. Others will dig their heels in, cry and say they 'can't', even though they have done the exercises before and patently can.

Yet if that same child were doing something which they really enjoyed, and this activity encompassed some quite difficult maths, the child would eagerly try to puzzle it out in order to progress with the activity.

At 16, your horse is likely to have 'been there and done that'. ie He is desensitised to life in general and to being ridden in the school in particular.
And who can blame him? Would YOU like to be made to do mathematical exercises every day 'just because you can'? I except YOU would then become reluctant to display your skill at calculus and would be given the label 'lazy' by any teacher so foolish as to expect you to stand on a stage and deliver a performance ...

Not so much lazy, as stale and bored would be my diagnosis.

Few horses are as 'lazy' out hacking as they are in the school, as there is far more to stimulate and interest them out in the big wide world, which is a more natural place for them to be and is an activity more closely approximating that which the feral horse enjoys every day.

It is also very easy to school whilst out on a hack, and building up fitness is much more effective and easier, too. I don't mean a slop-along hack, but a good, active, up-hill-and-down-dale hack, in company if necessary, to encourage your horse to move more actively. I don't mean a mad-gallop-every-time-we-touch-grass hack either; but rather hacks with lots of active walk, short bursts of trot and an occasional canter. The speed, length and duration of the hack should be built up very gradually and as long as you keep out of the school for a while, you should find that your horse's increasing activity level, willingness to comply with your requests and all-around fitness transfers back into the school on your occasional forays back in there. But go back in there regularly at your peril with this 16yo - would YOU like to be sent back to old-fashioned primary school and be made to do 'drill'?

Hi. Thanks for your replies.
The horse in question is just generally lazy with whatever we do, bless him.
We went out hacking today his owner road him, and I rode the other pony that I loan, she had as much touble with him. It is almost as though he has decided to retire himself.

He has had all relevant checks, back, teeth and saddle. is saddle doesn't fit perfectly but our saddle fitter (who is a master saddler) advised us to use a riser and a gel pad for a couple of months until his back comes up more, and then get a different saddle, which I have just bought him. The rest of the checks were fine. And he always appears to be a happy enough lad, just slow:)

it can't be much fun for him though constatly being 'kicked' along. As soon as you take your leg off, he just stops. Also using a stick on him has very little effect either. As he is so dead to the leg we tried the old technique of using 2 schooling whips as you would your legs, and this had little effect either. It is as though he just can't be bothered.

I don't know your horse but I'll say what I would do if it were me with my horse!

Firstly, give him a break. Turn him out for the summer and let him play with his friends! Start working again through the winter. Starting with fun hacking (maybe box to new places) and lots of ground work. IMO no horse in "dead to the leg" have you ever seen their skin twitch when a fly lands on them?! He is simply choosing to ignore your request!!

It would also be very worth while to invest in a balancer feed/supplement to ensure he's healthy on the inside too;):D

Buddy used to be like this.
Have you tried a schooling whip to back up your leg - just a tickle. I rarely need it now.
Also, try walk 4 strides, trot 4 strides, walk 4 strides, trot 4 strides etc etc.
Getting him more responsive off your leg could help with him being more forward. Also ensure you're not blocking him anywhere - the usual places are your knees, your stomach, your hands (either too narrow, or too low, your shoulders and your thigh.
Now Buddy is forward going and responsive. Took a few weeks, but we got there in about December time...

hheeelllloooo there - I am the owner & I don't think that turning him away is the answer as before we bought him, he was a field ornament for approx 2 years, only being ridden here & there so in theory, he is being brought back into work after a break now!! :D

he just seems very lazy & bored with everything even jumping!! he has been there & done it as was in a riding school a few years ago so I can only imagine that he really doesn't enjoy being ridden!! :rolleyes:

When dougie can be a lazy bugger, we do lots of things such as:
1: Lots and LOTS of transitions, these keep him engaged and thinking about what i ask him to do next.
2: Do lots of circles, serpintines, figures of eight, anything to keep him interested.
3: Use random trotting poles around the school to go over.
4: Try to school him over scary obsticles, like blue tarpin on the floor etc.

Hope i can help :)

...he always appears to be a happy enough lad, just slow:)

it can't be much fun for him though constatly being 'kicked' along.

It is as though he just can't be bothered.

Maybe you are right - he just can't be bothered.

Why should he be bothered?

What's in it for him if he does as is requested - more and more work, that's what!

Although it seems TO US that it can't be very nice to be kicked along, I'm sure that many horses find it easier to switch off both mentally and physically than they find it to co-operate and 'work', possibly with various riders who give different mixed messages and the horse never seems to get it 'quite' right. As soon as he co-operates and moves forward, more and more is asked of him ...

I have a lot of sympathy with this type of horse, to be honest (being a lazy so-and-so myself), but can't offer any sure-fire answers. Have you thought of trying clicker training? That might get his mental faculties more active; physical and mental often go hand in hand.

Have you tried feeding Baileys All Round Competition Mix.

All-Round Competition Mix is a highly digestible, nutrient dense mix which provides a combination of energy sources including fibre, oil and cereals to ensure a horse’s demands can be met at all work intensities. Best bruised oats are included along with highly digestible micronised cereals and the “quick release” energy they provide is ideal for the laid back horse needing extra sparkle. The mix has contains higher oil content than its predecessors and a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals, including chelated (Bioplex™) minerals plus the important anti-oxidants, vitamin E and selenium. With this level of nutritional support the mix is capable of supporting moderate to hard work and can be fed to point to pointers and National Hunt horses as well as other fit performance horses.

All Round Competition Mix combines oils from soya and linseed to give a balance of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which not only provide non-heating energy and help promote stamina but also support superb skin and coat condition. Like Baileys’ other performance feeds, All-Round Competition Mix contains quality protein promoting outstanding muscle tone and supporting tissue development and repair which is continuous in the working horse. It can also be fed in reduced quantities, alongside Lo-Cal balancer, to provide energy and sparkle for the “laid back” good-doer.

Maybe you are right - he just can't be bothered.

Why should he be bothered?

What's in it for him if he does as is requested - more and more work, that's what!

Although it seems TO US that it can't be very nice to be kicked along, I'm sure that many horses find it easier to switch off both mentally and physically than they find it to co-operate and 'work', possibly with various riders who give different mixed messages and the horse never seems to get it 'quite' right. As soon as he co-operates and moves forward, more and more is asked of him ...

I have a lot of sympathy with this type of horse, to be honest (being a lazy so-and-so myself), but can't offer any sure-fire answers. Have you thought of trying clicker training? That might get his mental faculties more active; physical and mental often go hand in hand.

totally agree with you - why should he be bothered after many years of providing enjoyment to snotty nosed kids!! :D

however, the way I see it, we all have to earn a living & most of us would rather not!! this pony wants for nothing & has a wonderful life with us bar 5/6 times a week for an hour a time, giving my son some pleaure back!! :D

Michael Peace says some good things about "turned off" horses in one of his books. One of the things he does, which has worked with mine when he is feeling lazy, is to give the horse minimum hassle, work on a very loose rein, use leg alternate sides in rhythm (gently!) and just allow your horse to warm up and stretch in walk for a while. Lots of hacking, and do the schooling when out and about (I agree with old woman there) and life may suddenly become more interesting again.

totally agree with you - why should he be bothered after many years of providing enjoyment to snotty nosed kids!! :D

however, the way I see it, we all have to earn a living & most of us would rather not!! this pony wants for nothing & has a wonderful life with us bar 5/6 times a week for an hour a time, giving my son some pleaure back!! :D

Ah, but he doesn't know that ... the much-vaunted 'Protestant Work Ethic' doesn't extend to the equine species, as far as I am aware. :D

In any case you mentioned earlier that he'd had a couple of years turned away ... how many people do you know - people who are examples of the PWE - who took early retirement, really enjoyed it and then voluntarily chose to go back to work - and to a mundane, entry-job at that?

We humans do indeed have to earn a living, but domestic animals have been coerced into helping us earn OUR living, not their own. The exchange can be considered profitable even from the animal's POV, in that the animal generally receives many benefits which it would not get, or which it would struggle to get, in the wild. However I do think that some animals, even those which are very well-cared-for, become simply disheartened by the life that they are expected to lead.

I do wonder if, given your pony's history of many years in a riding school, he is what would be called in a human, institutionalised? This can be very difficult even for an otherwise-intelligent human to overcome.

Imagine how difficult it must be for a horse to 'know' - to somehow have the awareness - that the former conditions of life are not about to return ... the very nature of animals, I believe, denies them this sort of knowledge. So your pony stays in this sad state of non-reactivity.

Does he have other horsey company to live out with? Do you observe him in the field with his companions? Is he active and interactive with them? If he has particular friends in the field, I am sure it would help to ride him in company with his friends, even if he does want to take up the down-trodden RS nose-to-tail position.

newrider.com