How much weight would you say a 500kg horse could carry?

Shian89

Jul 15, 2008
Fife
Question in the title really......it would only be for light hacking and she is a highland x, big broad shoulders and xxw in a saddle.......think her cannon bone measures 8 inches:)

When fit quite a lot!

A Garran, with a pack saddle and fully grown stag on his back, coming down the mountain will be carrying in excess of 20 stone.

She has quite a cobby body.....but not so cobby legs....she is 1/4 arab , but her cannon bone is defo 8 inches, would you still say she could carry 20 stone Wally? I will try and get a decent picture of her to show her build :)

Garrans are the stocky end of the Highland variable. Some of the lighter riding Highlands wouldn't be up to that.

heres some photos of here......

:)

Attachments

• shian 002.jpg
    shian 002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 52
  • shian 003.jpg
    shian 003.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 30
What kind of weight were you thinking of asking her to carry?

I'd imagine 14-15 stoen of balanced fit rider wouldn't go amiss.

well me.....im 5ft 4 n i think im about 12.5 stone ish.....was just reading the heavier riders thread and they all had big hw cobs....and was just getting a bit worried.....:(

oh well that makes me feel a bit better about it :) ohh and forgot to mention she's 14.3hh

Last edited:
12.5 stone on her???? not a problem at all. I wouldn't worry about riding her and I am more than that.

newrider.com