How much weight can a welsh section A carry?

Elcon_Poet

Jul 4, 2008
I have a welsh section A you see and I'm wondering if I'm too heavy for him. I'm 5ft 4in and 9st to 9 and half stone it all depends on what ive eaten during the week lol

K

kturner

I weigh the same as you and mine is fine with me. I only go 20mins because of my physical problems, but he is away at school at the moment and the adult trainer is the same weight and she is doing hour long hacks with a little trot and he is coping so well so she went without his trainers on today (cavello boots) and his feet were fine, so all this is without shoes. He still tanks off with me in gallop too, which is why he has been sent to get slowed down.

sheltiegroomer

Dec 30, 2007
If he is a 12hh-12.3 hh pure welsh A then I would say no problem at all. I am 9 1/2stone plus or minus a bit and I have ridden a couple of welsh A's and boy did they go. Im a bit taller and felt a bit tall as he was a wee lad but I think if you feel fine and have fun then go for it!! surely not too heavy!! They carried farmers across the mountains years ago!

K

kturner

sheltiegroomer - mine is only 11.3 purebred, and yes it is hard to balance especially at the speeds they can go. (without warning lol)

kiedis

May 22, 2008
northampton
i used to have a 10.2 welsh sec A gorgeous pony when my kids were at school i used to hack him out i had to teach him to slow down cos he wouldnt stop trotting!! we had great fun

carn77

Carn and Jazz
Sep 30, 2008
Plymouth
Found this site by accident :)
Pleased that i have come across this...i have a 12.2/12.3hh welsh type pony who will be 5yrs next summer...i was starting to worry that being 5ft 2 and anywhere between 9-10stone (it yo-yos) that i couldnt ride my pony...
However since reading different posts on this site there seems to be a whole world of adult pony riders out there...i'm 31yrs old so i'm gonna be proud of my pony once hes backed & we're hacking out together...carn is a rescue pony we've come along way together this has given me the confidence to ensure that i have masses of fun with him & not worry about it :)

F

FlyingxFeathers

I'm 9.5 - 10 stone (can't believe I admitted that, so shuussssh! ;)) and sat on my section A for the first time today, bareback. Not even a flinch. He has been sat on before but not for a year or so at least (he's approx 7yo).
Am only going to be doing short sessions with him, unless I lose weight anyway! Not fair on him to be lugging me round. At the end of the day, you know your horse, and if you feel they are struggling, hop off. Keep the sessions short and sweet is my plan :)

Thanks everyone, this answers my question! I have got a 11.2hh Sec A ride/drive pony now (Ben :)). He absolutely loves having a job to do - but my friend's son (who is 9 and has been riding my Exmoor mare for the past year - plus weekly lessons at the local riding school, where he is now cantering/jumping) can only come over after school or during school holidays (they like to do family stuff at weekends - his dad works long hours in the week). I have been driving him/lunging/long reining - but it would be nice to be able to exercise him under saddle myself (he has a very fast trot and was whizzing off whilst being ridden last night - I would like to do some schooling, so he understands that a trot can be slower than he is used to whilst driving). Will take him up the lane for a few minutes to see how he copes with my height/weight (I am 5'5" and 8.5 stone) - but knowing him, he won't even know I am there (he is a stocky build - a 'proper' Welsh Mountain Pony :)).

Ali xx

sabreig

May 10, 2007
Wales
www.freewebs.com
My 10 stone friend backed a 11.1hh section a for me a few years back, the pony hardly felt her weight, especially when he was in an open field for the first time and happily tried to get away from her, putting in some bronco moves like she was a ragdoll.