How much should I pay someone to ride Ale?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Would like someone to gently ride/ school him once or twice a week, for
about half an hour, I thought £10 per week what do you think? Thanks :)

We used to pay £12 to have J and Storm ridden whilst we were on holiday. But that was ten years ago. It was a RI that rode them for us.

Be careful where it leaves you legally should they have an accident on him. Paying someone could put you on a sticky wicket.

There's a girl down the yard who is interested, she's a great rider and can do sat afternoons. She's only 14 but very responsible and her horse is similar to ale in some ways. Will see if she wants to but would be perfect, I'm happy to give her pocket money for riding him, perhaps £5

Maybe I won't pay then, just feel bad as ale can be a bit annoying with his grumpyness and is hard work to ride haha

My yard charge £20 for a schooling session.

I wouldn't pay for a 14 year old to school my horse. If you are looking for a rider why not advertise for a sharer for him?

By school I just mean ride in the school properly. I dont want anyone else doing mucking out etc

If it's a professional you pay their rates. If not, it's between you and her. She sounds a good bet, I am sure you will come to an arrangement!

I use to school other people's horses and i charged a lot more than that.

It depends on what you want. To just exercise or to school. To exercise i charged £10 for 1/2 an hour.

If i want someone to walk my dog i get charged. So if i want someone to exercise my horse i pay.
If you pay you get a say, if you don't you can't make demands on what you want them.

I think it is strange that horse people charged to share their horse. I would like help with my two but i would not charge.

I have exercised and paid towards shoes. It wouldn't enter my head to be paid for it.
I wasn't riding anywhere else then, so three times a week was great to be out and about.
Schooling though is different. I wouldn't school for nothing, not that I would do it/offer.

I probably would exercise someone's dog for nothing. I like walking dogs. But train them, that's different.

Reactions: Jessey
I think Ale if you think she is a good rider and are happy to trust her with your lovely boy then why not, sounds like a great solution, it's up to you if you offer her something or not, to be honest I too would have jumped at the chance to ride someone's horse at 14 and would have happily done it for free, but a little bit of something would show her that you appreciate what she's doing.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com