How long does wrapped haylage keep for?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Back in November I bought in some small (30kg or so) bales of very good quality haylage - very dry almost like hay.
One of the 4 horses - the one that eats the most - won't eat it, so I sourced some stuff that she does like.

Should I be thinking no of using up the small bales or is it ok to leave for use in an emergency?

I would expect it to keep for about a year I guess, I brought some commercial small bale haylage when Jess was confined and have a bale left that I'm keeping for when we go somewhere, so long as its not punctured it should keep

I would expect it to keep for about a year I guess, I brought some commercial small bale haylage when Jess was confined and have a bale left that I'm keeping for when we go somewhere, so long as its not punctured it should keep

I agree with Jessey as long as the air doesn't get at it it should be fine..

I have used bales made in August the following September and they have been fine, If puncture free and air tight they ought to so 18 months. But I don;t like using ones that old. The feed values must drop dramaticlly after that long

newrider.com