How has the value of your horse changed since you bought it?

bluntcrayon

Oct 21, 2009
Chelmsford
Random thread :eek: just saw Vicki's thread about for sale photos and made me think. How does the current (estimated?) value of your horse compare to what you paid for it? eg if you bought a very green horse then did loads of competitions with it would be worth more wouldn't it? Or has it gone down with age/health problems/being out of work etc?

If you don't want to put actual value you could do %

I don't have a horse but if I did I doubt I would be able to 'add' much value due to lack of knowledge/experience!

I would go with dropped lol.

He was £2500 when I bought T and that included tack and a rug.

Since then, he has not comepted and has ben diangoses with sidebone and flat pedal bones requiring remedial shoeing. This means the amount of concussive work he does has to be kept to a lower level than other horses.

Couldnt put a figure on him as I am rubbish at valuing horses, but he is priceless to to me :D

Hamish may have gone up a bit.He was £250 when we bought him as a 2 year old. He is now broken in and will do a couple of pony club games at the summer club.

Jen
x

If I do a comparison of what I 'paid' for my horse versus how much I was offered for her at the end of 2007, I am not sure I can do the maths!

I was offered 250 times what I paid for her :eek:

By three different people :eek:

I paid £2,500 for my horse, I've done a few bits and pieces with her, planning a fairly busy (for us) year this year.
Last year I was offered £3,000 for her, so I was pleased with that, not that she's going any where.;)

my then 6yo TB was £200 two years ago, backed but not really re-schooled and had spent the previous years as a brood mare.

Was thinking of selling her in the summer and had some speculative interest at £3,500 although that's not to say I would have actually got that for her. Now she's had 6 months off I'd probably struggle to get the £200 back for her!

I paid £950 for Harvey about 10 months ago, but I bought him from a dealer.

Now, he is probably worth between £1200 and £1500. He has competed more (successfully) but being a pony will always be the cheaper end of the market. Also he does have some allergies (controlled) that will keep his price down. So he is worth more then I paid but not a tremendous ammount more.

Piccolo I paid £150 for incld delivery when she was 6 months old. Now she is worth around £500 as she's still a baby but super safe and easy plus has a good local showing record. I would imagine her to be worth more as she does more ridden work but only being 11.3hh and not registered will never be worth mega bucks.

I paid more for Sil than whats she's worth (£450). She will never improve in value, if anything she will have gone down even though she has "improved".

She will not be a kids pony for a long time yet - shes not patient with bratty kids, she doesnt like being on a lead rein, very green although responsive to ride, lacks brakes sometimes and naps badly. She doesnt enjoy being groomed and is a big bossy boots!

So really she needs an adult rider and handler, and very few adults are looking for a 12hh pony! I certainly wasn't! And thats part of the reason I couldnt sell her - she would end up in bad homes again Im fairly sure.

Rupert (NF out on longterm loan at the moment) bought £700 as a nutter tbh, currently insured by his loaners for £3k as he has an established competition record now. Probably starting to decrease again in the current market though, mind you I reckon my £700 will always have been a good deal!

Alfie, bought £2,300 irish cob, now a few more miles under his belt, a few rosettes and a proven bombproof hack, value probably increased, although not hugely in current market

Pablo, bought £1,300 big irish cob/heavyweight hunter then discovered back problems, has only just been rebacked after years of work, decreased radically, probably to basically 0 but once working well will probably have increased as is a bombproof hack, perfect in traffic etc and very good looking.

Bobby, registered Shetland, bought aged 2 for £80, definitely increased as now a very sensible and attractive 13yr old ride and drive pony.

Gallie, registered Shetland, given as 6 month old in return for a few months grazing, now a 20yr old ride/drive incl pair/unicorn/tandem - value has to have increased a little really!

Polo, registered Shetland, bought aged 7 for £500, great competition track record driving, drives pair/unicorn/tandem also jumps, great gymkhana pony and saintly leadrein pony, but at 26 his value is not going to have increased!

Last edited:
paid around £2500 for Moet about 2.5yrs ago....she plummeted in value because of her leg injury and resultant lameness for 18 months....now shes gotta be worth more than a lame horse as shes back out hacking etc but she will never be worth what i paid for her as shes not allowed to jump anymore and can only be used for general hacking! ah well you live and learn!!

Yay a thread inspired by my thread hehe!:p

Would like to say his value has gone up...

I payed £450 for a unbroken, petrified,scruffy 4yr old ponio!

He is such a sweet heart now, very kind, never kicks or bites, very patient with kids (even screaming little brats :rolleyes:) Lunges,long riens, does schooling, hacks, pops small jumps.Although Not completley bomb proof oon hacks yet ;)
So would like to think id get maybe £1000 for him now?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
bit like rtk, my toby is 17 so market value is probably not more than the 2.5k we paid for him. he's not bombproof or suitable for novices so would have limited appeal. he's priceless to me. I paid 1.5k for my youngster. Market value would place him round about 5k now, especially with his temperament and trainability.

I paid £1,700 3 years ago, for a 3 year old heavy coloured Cob, backed him myself, and 3 years later he jumps, hunts, hacks alone or in company, good in all spheres, excellent nature.
I would expect £3,500 now (I would not accept any less thats for sure, and I would not even consider selling him to be honest)

The other is a Fresian cross, paid £500when he was 6 months old, hes 6 now, Beautiful ride and drive horse, been offered good money loads of times but would never sell him either, he hunts too!
Drives like a dream, would assume he has to be worth £3,500 plus.

i bought my lad off the field raw if the producers would of bought him theyd of done a couple of months schooling and clipped him out done a couple of shows with him and put a few grand more on him so yeah he will increase but wont be sold

Paid £1800 for Rio nearly 8 years ago when she was obese and unfit, but could probably have got heading for twice that for her in her prime because of her fantastic temperament. She's worth nothing at the moment as she's unsound with a long term injury and may have to be retired.

Paid £2500 for Tess 4 years ago, she's just turned 17 so probably worth half that now.

They're both priceless to me though :)

newrider.com