How elitist is the equestrian world??!

Twigletz7

would rather be riding...
Jan 3, 2007
Devon
Question in the title!! I was just wondering about your thoughts on how elitist you feel the horsey world is?

Also do you think it is being made more elitist by the closure of sooo many riding schools/treking centres due to wildly inflated insurances and the cost of a weekly riding lesson becoming more and more.

Obviously by nature and horses being large animals it is going to cost to keep them but has the cost increased dramatically in recent times?!

What effect do you think these factors have on horse riding as a hobby and as a proffesional sport?

I'd love to hear your thoughts:)

Hmmmmmm, good question. At certain levels I believe it to be elitist - by that (not trying to offend anybody) some riders who are "born into it" and are pushed from an early age to succeed and given lots of opportunity - then yes, a tad elitist - ie, I'm talking about people who are given expensive ponies from a very early age - money being no object etc. These people do exist - (not where I am but I'm sure they do!). But, on the whole, I find most horsey people - either like myself coming into it at a later date in life, or horsey from birth very nice, down to earth and not in any respect elitist. I think the sport has an "image" and horsey folk (until you get to know them properly that is) have quite a "posh" image (till they see me in Tesco sporting twigs / hay from smelly bodywarmers etc).......................

personally i think that it is becoming less elitist as time goes by

more people seem to have acces to & be able to afford to ride & wheras it used to be concieved as 'for the rich' i think that attitude is changing

(lets face it most of us on here don't have bags of cash)

i don't think the cost of keeping a horse has increased dramatically recently either , i tend to find that as the market has increased so has competition thus keeping prices sensible , & i find it easier to come across a broader range of products

personallyi think all this will only serv to keep the popularity of riding as a hobby on the increase

likewise i think the increased popularity will benefit the profession too in many area's , hopefully it will get better coverage & sponsorship due to increased popularity & hopefully training schemes will give talented youngsters whose parents don't have wads of cash more oppertunities (like in other sports)

i think the big down side to the increased popularity in my prsonal experience is that there are far too many people out there who have a few lessons , buy a horse , don't continue with lessons & you know the rest......:rolleyes:
i think this is reflected at some of the smaller rc shows , i was saddened at some of the riding & horse treatment i saw at a couple of shows last year & i think the incidence of such has increased in my opinion

ok , i'll shut up now , didn't intend such a long reply:D

I think it varies. Being on a DIY yard, people I see are in the same boat I am - we work darn hard to afford our horses and make sacrifices to keep them. There's always the odd one who thinks they're better than everyone else :rolleyes: , but in that sense I don't think it is elitist at all. Sometimes I think it could do with being a little more elitist. There are so many horses that I see every day who belong to people who have had three or four lessons, think they know it all, and become offended if anyone even hints that they might do things differently with better result. There is one horse that springs to mind that now barges and recently quite badly hurt his owner by charging out of the field as soon as she opened the gate. Of course :rolleyes: , it was all the horse's fault and not the owner's at all - the fact that the horse is never led properly, not taught to back away on cue and positively *encouraged* to barge out of his field and stable are beside the point ;) .

However, it does sometimes go the other way. When I worked at a yard which only provided full livery, some of the owners looked down their noses at scruffy me who was only *staff* (said to rhyme with *scum* :rolleyes: ) and if the stables didn't have perfectly square beds (not always a possibility when their horse comes straight in and rolls in it), or a piece of hay or straw in the water bucket, they bawled me out over it. Not that all people on full livery are like this ;) , but I have tended to find most DIY folks a bit more down to earth.

I think with any sport or hobby, there are folks at both ends of the spectrum. The more riding schools close down, the more people may think that riding is only for people who are rich and can afford their own horses, or it might go the other way and more people will buy horses rather than have lessons. I don't know... have I rambled enough now?

I was having a chat about this with someone on my yard just the other day, I think it depends where you live.

In Moscow, although there is a long tradition of horsemanship in Russia, it is certainly viewed as an elitist sport. The yard I keep my mare at is anything but elitist- but competing in Russia is certainly usually reserved to very wealthy people or the children of the wealthy (and the Russian definition of wealthy makes the British equivalent pale by comparison:eek: )...

In the UK, although not a cheap sport, riding is certainly much more accessbile to "normal" people.

I think more people have bought their own horse due to riding stables closing down and also, how restrictive they are - you cant do anything except arrive at the stable to find your horse tacked up, get on and do an hours lesson and go home.
Lots of the people I meet are very unsnobby and know what a struggle it is to afford it. I dont go out into the competition world except occasionally as a spectator and have witnessed what I would describe as one or two spoilt rich brats!!! But as competing at horse shows doesnt really appeal, it doesnt matter much.

Well when I started riding 23 years ago, I used to pay £2.50 for an hours lesson! Don't know how much it is in a riding school these days but I would bet it has risen at more than the rate of inflation.

In the States, it depends on the sort of riding you do. If you're solely a trail rider, or compete in western or in gaited horses, then not elitist at all, more the opposite in fact.;) H/j has its elite A circuit but also its just plain folk at the schooling shows. Dressage is rare in my neck of the woods:( so I can't say - but I figure they're called DQs for a reason.:p

Depending on the region, space to keep a horse and to ride doesn't require great wealth in the States. Even if a person lives in town or in a city, most people still have at least a grandpa (or in my family's case, a crazy old aunt:D ) who still live on the family farm.

Really depends on the level of competition you're at. If you're a pleasure rider who dabbles in showing, then no. If you're a heavy dressage or hunter jumper rider, then most definately yes, especially in these two sports because the horse AND the rider is judged (instead of like jumpers where only the fastest time matters)

I'll give you a bit of statistics if you want...to get a qualified Young Rider Horse (meaning capable of doing Prix St George and higher, but not necessarily Grand Prix) in either jumpers or dressage, the average price in 2006 was 130k. So yes, it's quite elitist, because not too many of us can actually AFFORD 130k.

That being said, they are very few on the Young Rider circuit that weren't bought for minimally 50k...unless you're fortunate to breed your own talent, chances are if you want to suceed at that level, you'll have to shell out the cash. You might get lucky, but chances are, no. The average TB or the average QH cannot compete at these levels and aren't part of the "elite" group of warmblood breeding.

Question in the title!! I was just wondering about your thoughts on how elitist you feel the horsey world is?
well to be honest im not really sure what that means ...

Also do you think it is being made more elitist by the closure of sooo many riding schools/treking centres due to wildly inflated insurances and the cost of a weekly riding lesson becoming more and more.
Yes, its such a shame that the insurance prices have gone up so much. I know of at least 3 riding schools/trekking centres that have been closed down in my area

Obviously by nature and horses being large animals it is going to cost to keep them but has the cost increased dramatically in recent times?!
Well about 20 years ago (or maybe more) my cousin used to have a horse. She said it only cost £15 to have his feet shod! Now it costs around £50 in my area

What effect do you think these factors have on horse riding as a hobby and as a proffesional sport?
I think less people can afford to ride now. Alot of people i know dont ride anymore as lessons are so expensive.

I'm not sure it is elitist today, you can keep a horse on a fairly low budget if you choose the right horse.

It is perceived as an eliteist sport, thanks to Tony Blair and his cronies.

I have found that horsey good are loaded in price by the shops. Cattle wormer, sheep wormer is cheap....call it horse wormer and you can quadruple the price, same with some of the fancy horse feeds an mixes.

Insurance for EVERYTHING has sky rocketed, it all went mad at about the same time.

No I don't think it is elitist at grass roots level. My RS customers cover a wide variety of people over all social classes.

I don't really buy the RS shutting down argument. Yes some are lost and sadly often some of the best who have been around for years but others open, yes offering something different but possibly more in tune with the current market.

Livery has never been so available or cheap and to be honest most people spend far more on their horse than they NEED to. I calculated the cost of livery as I understand about it 40 years ago and it was a far higher percentage of average income than it is now. Farm diversification has lowered the price to that which makes the local RS an uneconomical riding option in many peoples eyes.

Competition however is another 'can of worms' ( sorry uk expression meaning messy, confused situation:D ) Forty or even twenty years ago you could buy cheaply , school and compete to a reasonably high level in most disciplines, these days talented horses seem to have an enormous price. Could a Mary King emerge these days?

How about Polo..? Talk about elitistic.. :rolleyes:

I am soooo happy that I get student discount prices at the moment, I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise, and I am still freaking out when thinking what I am going to do after I graduate.. Do I do another degree just so I can play Polo..? :p

But have to say that even though there are obscene amounts of money in Polo, and most people in it are filthy rich, they are one nice bunch of people!! I have been to some very big tournaments in UK and even the top players have been very nice and ready to help us total beginners. :)

I just really hope that during the time I still am in Uni, something happens to drop the prices really low.. ;)

Nina x

I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and I think it is getting more elitist.

The price of insurance has driven many trail riding business (hacking for the uk riders!!!) to the point of closing down, so its much more difficult to go riding.

Many riding schools have a waiting list for lessons now.

The cost of keeping a horse has just risen massively due to the drought - horses are being dumped and sold because people can't afford the inflated feed prices (due to shortage) and there is no grass so people have to hard feed.

I've had quite a few people ask me how much it costs to keep a horse, and they are quite shocked when I tell them, and I get the "you must be rich" comment. ( I don't have kids and split bills with my partner !!)

Whether something is perceived as elitist depends on where you are starting from. If you have access to an average salary then horses are probably less elitist than they were. Yes a series of lessons in expensive in anybody's money, but if you have a certain disposable income you can prioritise it. If you are earning below average then access to horses is harder, simply because lessons are dearer and little Jimmy cannot work for lessons any more. Having said that a pal of mine has a special needs son and cannot work. Her native pony is kept on a shoestring and is loved cherished and keeps her sane!!!!
Strangely I was thinking much the same thing the other day. Mostly I ride in webbing tack, a tatty old jacket and look like Farmeress Giles. I get approached by all sorts "Can I stroke your pony miss?" I was out with OH who was doing the Farmer Giles thing on Moss. I had Con in leather tack, and I had an expensive looking full coat on. I felt different and all the "Can I stroke your pony?" was addressed to OH. Food for thought....

Regarding the insurance issue, as Wally pointed out, insurance has gone up all round, in all industries.

Just think for a minute regarding liability insurance. A riding school I used to attend, had a premier league (also played for England) football player attend for a few lessons with his daughter, (no I'm not bragging that I've been to a posh riding school, because it wasn't it just happened to be local to where they then lived). Imagine if he had fallen from the horse and injured himself, badly, maybe a broken leg? Such an injury could have ended his football career, just think of how high that compensation claim would have been:eek: . When the owner of the school would only have paid maybe a couple of hundred pounds? Now scale that down to somebody normal, it could still cost a lot of money.

It's not really all the insurers fault that riding schools/trekking centres are closing. Parents are only prepared to pay so much for riding lessons, especially if little Emily and Johny are involved in lots of other activities, such as music, football, dance etc as is the want of a lot of families today.

As pointed out, most people I know are ordinary people who don't do other things, like go out boozing every weekend or buy designer clothes to pay for their horses. As my OH points out to people who don't really 'know', our horse probably costs less to keep each month than some of them spend on one weekend going out, and they go out every weekend.

I think the price of horses has risen a lot, and this seemed to happen overnight, especially when passports became 'legal'. So if prices are rising at the bottom end, the top end must be breath taking.

Again, I suppose this is where the elitist image comes in, spending £2-3k on a horse seems like a lot of money, (well it is a lot of money), yet some people would quite happily spend this on a holiday every year. It's all relative.

What doesn't help the case, as has been pointed out the current Labour government with their ban on hunting, making it seem like all horse owners are a bunch of red coat wearing, winging toffs with nothing better to do than chase foxes and say 'tally ho'! I also have to say however, that the hunting lobby didn't do much to cover themselves in glory either, (that is my own opinion and I'm not after a debate:) ).

Riding as a sport also appears to be very under represented by BME groups (Black Minority Ethnic), this again may fuel the image that it is a white middle class sport. Don't know just surmising.

I think gone are the days when people would have a horse, school it and be able to achieve great things with it. There does seem to be a fashion for certain types of horse to do different disciplines, such as dressage. This creates elitism within the sport itself, if you want to compete on a cob, a lot of people say oh well you wont get much past novice! Why?! Some cobs have lovely movement! Just snobbery as cobs were once the working horse, pulling carts etc, not riding horses.

An example at grass routes level, our local village show, held once a year, always had an in-hand coloured class, the judge of the in-hand class didn't like coloured horses so it was pulled from the schedule. I also heard that she said any coloureds entered wouldn't win as she doesn't like them!:eek: That year, as the organiser and that judge have both shown to a high level with their own horses and now with their daughters, (one of whom, fair play, made it to HOYS, I'm not knocking that achievement), but that year the show was swamped with kids who were way above the standard, 'professional' show ponies etc and all the local kids who enjoy going on their shaggy ponies and sharing between brother and sister, didn't get a look in. It was really quite said.

So, yes there is an image of outside the horsey world, but most non-horsey people understand if you explain. I personally think it is more elitist within the sport itself.

Sorry rambled, but I think the question is more complex, than a just yes/no answer!:eek:

Please do NOT get me started on bugginses turn at local shows!! It is rife and makes me mad.

I dont know anyone horsy or who has horses that is elitist. Most are down to earth, realistic and pleasant people. P'haps that's because we're older and have seen a lot of life outside horses. I dont think anyone on this board is elitist. At least if they are, they dont come across as such.
The elitist element seem to be in their teens and early twenties. Then you have the other end of the scale the over 30 brigade with their big booming 'posh' voices who were born into a horsy environment and have done the hunting, showing, buying and selling bit to excess and know very little else of the outside world.​

Thanks for all your replies, its really interesting to hear your thoughts:)

What got me thinking about this was the other week i was watching TV and saw about a charity riding stables being set up in a deprived area of London. All the kids who went there were obviously really dedicated and loved the ponies. The charity was asking for money (about £80,000) to build a new equestrian centre with indoor school ect. and had already raised £250,000 themselves.
One of the questions they were asked was would any of the riders from this stable be able to go on to represent the country in the sport. Obviously the realistic answer is no without huge private financial backing. This is very different from most other competitive sports ie. football, athletics ect.

Generally I don't think the horsey world is elitist for your family of average income, if they don't want to become the next Ellen Whitaker:rolleyes: ;)

I also think in many respects riding has become a generally more accesable sport, however there are still vast amounts of people who do not have access to reasonable priced lessons for a low income family, and therefore the sport will still be percieved as being for the "upper class" and the rich and will not have the draw or promotion of TV coverage and a nation wide audience. You only have to see some peoples reaction to Zara Phillips winning sports personality of the year;)

I think it depends on the person and not the sport. For example my friend lives in a very serious equestrian area and my best friend lives in a very serious badminton area and although BOTH areas have extremely nice people in them I've found there are extremists and elitists in both areas. I think its amusing how different sports can be completely different but yet there are people with the same personality and sometimes snobbery about the sport in the different sporting worlds.

newrider.com