How do you train a horse to do tricks?

BeachRiding

Aug 26, 2004
USA
The reason I ask is that the farrier was here the other day and was shoeing Gitcha in on a front horse and Gitcha bowed! He dropped his whole leg under him and stretched the other out! Me and the farrier had a good laugh about it!:D I think Gitcha was confused as to why his leg was being held up for so long!:p

Also I wrote a thread about Gitcha trying to paw and lie down next to me.
I think he would love to do tricks, he has the mind and the fun spirit for it.
( :) can you tell I am beaming with love at my horse?:) )

Anyway how do you properly train: Answer to all the ones you know!

~The bow?
~lie down?
~To shake?
~to sit?:p

These are just for fun!

Whatever you do, make the signal very specific!:D Sometimes farriers accidentally signal for a 'lie down' without meaning to. Skye nearly sat on one farrier:eek: :D I was very embarrassed, but the farrier thought it was quite funny

Tricks are great, sometimes handy! I've taught my mare to give me a kiss
( sad huh) but it has an underline lesson.... to be soft, lightly touching with her delicate nose, as I don't want to be smacked in the head by a very amarous horse! or one that wants to bite your nose! lol :p Talk is another one I started teaching her, asking her to curl her lip.
I have to admit, I would love to teach her to bow!!!!! :D

I would say a very good route to go down is CLICKER training, because you can precisly time the desired action with a treat ( much to the horses delight) and you teach the horse action+click = Treat/good They then grow very ethusiastic responses. Then you can slowly wean out the treat and use just your cue ( e.g voice, body language ) Although, still give them a treat every now and then just to say GOOD GAL or BOY, it will keep them enthusistic.

Ross Simpson > Positive magic, clicker training system
( www.naturalanimalcentre.com)

Have fun!

Torny
x

Once taught a horse called Brigadier to bow. I used to put my hand (which contained a titbit between his front legs and hold it out. As he put his head down to take the titbit, I said 'bow' and he did. Didn't take that long to teach him. He used to do it then without the hand between the front legs - but he did expect a reward for bowing. Just read another postin about horses kissing owners.Taught my last Exmoor pony to do this but grabbing him and saying 'gissa kiss' (again with food reward). He'd open his mouth and give you a big sloppy, wet (Mick Jaggar) type kiss!

Last edited:
I taught CW some 'tricks' for self serving reasons; he is a demon for food, so I decided to make him work for a treat instead of just giving him a carrot. After all, he gets a carrot after I ride him so why then spoil it just by giving a treat cos he looks cute that day? so I put pressure on his front leg until he lifted it up, and he got a treat immediately. I then started saying 'say please' and tapping the leg - it got easier and easier and now I just touch his nose and "say please" and up goes the leg. He's very pleased with himself and it also gets his attention back on me.

Also taught him to close/open gates with his nose as he was dreadful when I was on his back (he's fine now, but this was at the beginning of our 'life' together). Started in the stable with him nudging the unlocked door open. There is a gate in the top field that now i just head him towards and he will nudge it with his nose until it's shut. No treats there as I am on his back, but think he likes to show off that he can do it!

As long as the "tricks" won't be dangerous in any way and the horses enjoy it (some don't), I think they're great. I don't see these as tricks, more a little extracurricular training!

newrider.com