How do you stop a pony crawling under a fence!!!?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Grrr, my field owner is getting annoyed with Piccolo as she keeps escaping out of the field. I have tried fixing the fence several times (can't put electric on that side) but she pushes it down or crawls under it:rolleyes:

Will spare electric tape nailed to the wooden fence posts keep her in/not be pulled down??

I've had to stable her tonight, and have only got a hour tomorrow morning to do fence fixing.

I tried putting up a electric fence to split the paddock today to keep her out of trouble but I can't get the electric to work (how do you use a fence tester?:eek:) have a horrible feeling my energiser has given up although it has a green light and 'clicks'. Only 4 hrs in the freezing cold today though!

HOW can a 11hh pony cause SO much trouble!!!:mad:

Firstly to the energiser problem: If the battery is working correctly and fully charged and not too old then look at your earth connections.

I found that I had issues where it wasn't give them much of a belt when the touched it so I changed the battery. This still wasn't working so hubby suggested that I check that the earth rods were pushed right in and spaced well apart. As it was I discovered the connections had worked loose. I tightened them right up and BINGO, I zapped my bum! :D

If you can get the electric to work then I would suggest using insulators and zapping the little monster :p

Firstly to the energiser problem: If the battery is working correctly and fully charged and not too old then look at your earth connections.

I found that I had issues where it wasn't give them much of a belt when the touched it so I changed the battery. This still wasn't working so hubby suggested that I check that the earth rods were pushed right in and spaced well apart. As it was I discovered the connections had worked loose. I tightened them right up and BINGO, I zapped my bum! :D

If you can get the electric to work then I would suggest using insulators and zapping the little monster :p

thanks...it's a mains energiser (set on high) I'm going to test the actual energiser tomorrow but am worried about zapping myself:eek: (although i suppose thats one way of testing:p) The earth rod is thick and about 2 foot in the ground (can't pull it out) I've checked the connection on top and it seems ok, my dad said to check the lead out cables but I'm not sure how to do that:confused: I think if she got zapped she'd leave it alone as she wasn't a problem before. Just bit worried land owner is going to get annoyed with many more break outs (need to renew tenancy yearly) and can do without field becoming a fencing money pit especially as we're trying to move house this year! (more money)

Well that's the extent of my knowledge gone :eek:

Is it electrified close to the energiser and weaker further away? If you need a tester person then take someone with you that you don't like :p

If you don't get any other help I'll ask hubby tomorrow for you and report back. :)

Well that's the extent of my knowledge gone :eek:

Is it electrified close to the energiser and weaker further away? If you need a tester person then take someone with you that you don't like :p

If you don't get any other help I'll ask hubby tomorrow for you and report back. :)

Thanks, thats what I'll try tomorrow I think - testing nearest the energiser and then further away. doesn't help i don't really know how to use my tester:eek: Take it I stick the copper rod in the ground and just clip it to the electric tape?? (it has a metal clip and lights up supposedly)

I did ask my sharer to touch it but she saw through my plan:p:p (I do like her but needs must;):p)

My pony crawls under fences too - its incredible to watch, even if it is really annoying!

Not the right time of year to do it, but I've found leaving his rugs off and the electric on puts him off doing it for quite a while. The problem is that with all thier rugs on they can barely feel the zap so they'll keep doing it. With his rugs on he'll even put up with the sting knowing that if he pushes hard he'll get through quickly. The only fool proof (or is that pony proof!) way we've found is really good post and rails with the bottom rail not more than about a foot off the ground.

You should have seen him at pony camp in the summer crawling under the temporary electric lines. Honestly!

I spent the morning electrifying the gate as certain people can open it.......they are not going to crawl.

doesn't help i don't really know how to use my tester Take it I stick the copper rod in the ground and just clip it to the electric tape?? (it has a metal clip and lights up supposedly)

Yes, but clip to fence BEFORE putting rod in the ground (if you are not wanting a shock!!!)

What kind of fence is it?

The fence she is breaking through/going under is a wooden post with a high tensile wire going from post to post, she goes under the wire. I put electric cord/twine across the lower bit which she kept pushing down/stepping on and then going between so hubby nailed a nail where the twine met on each fence post to stop her pulling it down ...but she has still managed to:rolleyes: There is a ditch the other side of the fence and a private lane so she has to negotiate the ditch too. she then goes and grazes on landowners lawn just to rub salt into the wound.

I have just put in wooden posts down the middle of the field (originally to split into winter/summer fields as she kept going through/under the polyposts and 20mm tape. so put in posts to stabilise and new 40mm tape to be more effective (good quality tape) I was very proud of myself being all of 5ft 1 and still managing to put posts in with a manual post basher.:) but when I went to connect the electric back up found it didn't work.

Originally when the electric didn't work when it was polyposts & tape I assumed it was because I have it on a very long run (around 6 acres) with trees and bushes that sometimes get in its way, but now the run is only a shortish run of two straight lines and there is no debris earthing it etc as all has been checked.

Goal is to do one or the 'other for now but eventually both of:

1. Fix boundary fence (the one with the wire top rung and wooden posts) so annoying pony cannot escape.

2. Make the electric fence work (mains energiser) 40mm tape and wooden posts with a couple of those 'coiled wire' gates. and keep ponies in the 'spring & summer' field earlier (normally put them over in March)

Yes, but clip to fence BEFORE putting rod in the ground (if you are not wanting a shock!!!)

Would you laugh if I said I'm so worried that I turn the fence 'off' clip the tester on the fence and stick the earth in the ground then run and put the fence back 'on' (mains plug) and then turn it off again before I take the tester off:eek::eek:.

Last time I touched the fence when it was on full power (admittedly I was pregnant at the time so not the most balanced) I fell over backwards onto my backside, really don't want to repeat it:eek:

My pony crawls under fences too - its incredible to watch, even if it is really annoying!

Not the right time of year to do it, but I've found leaving his rugs off and the electric on puts him off doing it for quite a while. The problem is that with all thier rugs on they can barely feel the zap so they'll keep doing it. With his rugs on he'll even put up with the sting knowing that if he pushes hard he'll get through quickly. The only fool proof (or is that pony proof!) way we've found is really good post and rails with the bottom rail not more than about a foot off the ground.

You should have seen him at pony camp in the summer crawling under the temporary electric lines. Honestly!

Can't quite stretch to fence and rail just yet (how come fencing costs so much!!:eek:) Piccolo only has a lightweight rug on (no fill) but I have warned her the rug will come off if need be!:D

OH always tests the fencing by getting a long bit of grass and starting with it as long as poss touching the fence, then gets shorter and shorter until he feels the jolt!! Rather him than me but he says it's ok:D.

OH always tests the fencing by getting a long bit of grass and starting with it as long as poss touching the fence, then gets shorter and shorter until he feels the jolt!! Rather him than me but he says it's ok:D.

Does he want to come and test my fence for me? I'l pay postage and packing if you can find a big enough box. You could hire him out as a very efficient fence tester:p:D
If at first you don`t succed.....take the rug off....;)

Rug might very well come off tomorrow if she wants to still go through the fence;)

I spent the morning electrifying the gate as certain people can open it.......they are not going to crawl.

can i ask why you are stopping ppl from opening gate pls?

I think Wally is referring to the Shetland ponies when she used the term "certain people"!!! :)

I haven't tested the fence yet as keep forgetting my fence tester BUT I checked all the fencing again and replaced another bit of tape, also noticed the lead out cables wern't great so 'modified' them where they connect to the fence and the earth. AND it seems to be working:D:D:D

Turned out Pic and Zeb during the day and they haven't touched it! well, Piccolo did touch just her whiskers on it (interesting to watch as she was definitely doing 'fence testing' of her own) and then she decided actually she'd rather not touch it.

I think today she might have got a shock from it though as when I went to get her in she was wary of the fence (particularly the gate) :)

So result......here's the pics....hopefully tomorrow they can stay out 24/7 again weather depending.

101_1481.jpg

101_1482.jpg

101_1483.jpg

newrider.com