How Do You Cope Having Horses on Your Own?

shandy84

Oct 10, 2003
Essex
community.webshots.com
I've never since having my baby horses been on my own with them, I hate it!

Bramble is miserable, I am miserable because I miss the other two so much and I can't do anything with Bramble as she is essentially a driving pony and you can't drive her alone, I can't do dressage or jumping with her as she is too small.

I don't know if I should keep her, in my mind I can't see past missing the others, I love her so much but why have her if I can't make her happy, I feel forced into selling her, and it's breaking my heart. Everyone is saying just wait it'll be fine but it wont, I always wanted to jump, realistically, she wont and can't with me.

I just don't know what to do?

nonsense! i dressage on petal, fiona jumps and stressages toby. i've got every intention of doing both on denim too, if i can priseher away from her LR job, and she is 12hh.

you're having a rubbish time now and that is perfectly understandable - but it will pass, i promise.

book some lessons, get riding again and start working onthe dressage and jumping. she's a registered M&M, so you can do WHP classes and go to HOYS! give her a chance - and then once given, if she really says 'no mum i want to drive' then fairy nuff, but don;t rush into anything at all right now.

lgd on here does medium stressage successfully on a fell pony!

jumping - how high do you want ot go? you may need to stick to unafflicted and workers - but if she is over 13.2 the WHP is 3'3, which frankly is quite high enough for me! proper BSJA stuff doesn't cater well for adults on ponies, but with a will ther is plenty of unafflicted stuff at a reasonable height you can do.

but if she is over 13.2 the WHP is 3'3, which frankly is quite high enough for me!

Better not be! Our limit is 2'6!

Honestly, unless you want to affiliate to certain societies (which IMO aren't worth affiliating with if they wont let an adult - or in BYRDS some teenagers - ride a pony) you can do everything out there.

DD - I think at County and HOYS level for a Welsh D it is 3'6" - 3'9"! You'll have to teach Daffy to jump with his eyes shut!!! :p

Shandy - Don't rule out little ponies - they can do it all! Is there no chance of getting another, more able one? :)

He physically can't clear 2'9 so I won't need to teach him (or me) to jump with his eyes shut. :D

Looked it up, and the max is 3'3. Even so, that's 9 inches bigger than he can jump, so unless Great Yorkshire have a novice class ;)

He physically can't clear 2'9 so I won't need to teach him (or me) to jump with his eyes shut. :D

Looked it up, and the max is 3'3. Even so, that's 9 inches bigger than he can jump, so unless Great Yorkshire have a novice class ;)

Go for it, the atmosphere and crowd in the grandstand will get him over them :D. It managed to get a decent gallop out of our cob which was something of a miracle.

I've never had anyone to help me and I'm having to manage.As for driving I find it safer to drive alone;)
cid_001e01c702cbb9e4e1707a1a8351you.jpg

Sorry to hear you're having such a miserable time....just wanted to say things will get better. I've had really down times over the last year but i'm glad the people at NR have always encouraged/persuaded me to keep going, especially with the horses.

As for smallness, i don't know how big Bramble is but i have a 13.2hh 19yr old pony who had spent most of her life as a LR pony and a driving pony until i got her last year and now we are doing so well!

Yesterday i even jumped her for the very first time over a large tree trunk (moment of maddness as i don't jump and neithe rdoes she supposedly!) I don't know who looked more shocked that we'd got over me or her :)

I've always had to drive/long rein/ride/get bedding/hay/everything for horses by myself as OH is really uninterested and tbh doesn't like them and the children (x4) try to help but well, they're little and messy.

and Lacey understands me much more then OH does! ;) but i keep him, well, just because i do lol.

things will get better, its all change at the moment for you and bramble but soon things will look up and settle.

I think it's just been so very hard adjusting to not having Shandy around.

Mum suggested pretty much the same as Mehitabel, take her as far as she can go and then decide and maybe rather than sell her, if I find I want to do different things, share her with someone who would like those things and share a bigger horse myself.

I think being back at livery is the grind, I love being on grazing so much, maybe if I can't stomach it, after the winter I will look to rent grazing again and maybe buy a companion for her, we'll see.

I think Bramble will do what I want her to do, I am a bit of a coward after all, just enjoy jumping once in a while, it's just hard getting used to having no support, but Brambs was much happier today, was actually asleep laying down next to her prospective field buddies, so that has made me feel a little better.

I have a four wheeler cart so could really do with another body, but mum has decided she'd like to come up and give it a go and my ex is still a good friend and has planned to pick us up for a big drive this sunday with all our driving pals :) so all is not lost, just getting very down in the dumps adjusting to losing the other two ponies, it's really wierd, it's like something is missing the whole time, hopefully in time I will just be happy to hear she's ok from my ex :) just getting used to that, that's the hard bit :rolleyes:

I think you need to give yourself some time to adjust?
what you have been through in the split is hard enough to cope with, never mind how amicable it is, on top of all that you have had to deal with loosing some of your horses too?
very very stressfull!
maybe you need to look at new avenues to go down to take your mind off things? maybe try some new groundwork training / at liberty stuff?
I have really bad confidence issues when riding, sometimes worse than others, it helps me to concentrate on what I can do, rather than on what I cant?
things are not "going to be ok" overnight, give yourself a pat on the back for how well you are copeing with things and take a breather ;)
good luck :eek:

Hi, your going through a touch time right now so its only natural that things feel crap. What height is bramble? I dont see why if she is the right size for you, you cant do dressage or jumping on her. I used to do both in riding club on a 13.2 no problem at the jumps were 3 foot

i was just going to say i used to drive my welsh cob alone :confused:

ETA if i didn't do stuff on my own i'd never do anything with them :)

i love it

Last edited:
newrider.com