How big is Ziggy's stomach?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Ziggy is kept on a track at the moment. He is lovely and slim but as a result is even more food obsessed than normal.

I don't like him to be starving hungry when I ride him because he is so distracted by the thought of food, and we ride along lanes and bridlepaths which are all over green and essentially a pony buffet. I understand that horses have quite small stomachs as they are trickle feeders, but if I were to give him some hay, or a small chaff/herb feed, or even access to good grass, how much would he need to fill up his stomach enough that he could relax and concentrate more while we are out?

I give jess about a level stubbs scoop of unmolassed alfa before riding, their stomach is about the size of a rugby ball so I only give her enough to maybe half fill her so acid doesnt slop around and she doesn't get grumpy. She does also have free access to hay on the track and while out I let her graze for 10 mins min in every 2 hours so her system is kept ticking over.

I'd just let him munch on some hay while you get ready, maybe in a small holed net so he thinks he's had more than he actually has. If he's anything like LU then even if he's just had something to eat he'll still be eyeing up the buffet lol

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
I think that there is a difference between being hungry and being greedy. If Ziggy has access to grass all day long and has poo's are green and healthy and frequent, then this shows that he is getting all that he needs from the grass he is on. I don't think that he will be hungry if he has access to the grass 24/7, but on a hack when he sees the lush green offerings then he is going to want to pick at them because he can.

Ben is the most greedy horse in the world. Even when he gets his muzzle off and stuff his belly full of the most lush green grass ever, he will still search for treats and try and pull hedges apart.

Mine is on a track to and he's hungry, I can see he is, he does have just enough grass plus a small meal of chaff with a multivitamins because of being on the restricted grazing, I can see he's more hungry, (he wouldn't be losing weight otherwise!) When out and about, I've learned the hard way with letting mine graze in hand in the past, he was starting to snatch at any grass going, and be quite rude. The last 2 weeks when out he hasn't been allowed and he's grumpy about it but tough so he gets a bit released from the strip grazing every three days for him. If out for 2 + hours then I would let him graze for a bit as well to keep him ticking over, 10 mins isn't going to break the bank, that and a haynet when (if available) being tacked up will help him I should think.

Mine is out on our summer grazing. If a strand of hay blows past whenever she is tied up she tries to nab it.
I don't feed anything when she comes in to be tacked up. She can manage not to eat for a few hours. She only gets a pop because her magnesium is stuck to it.
If I used a track though I might add some straw as a choice. It's something to chew on which is what they want.

I wish I could get some oat straw, it would be perfect additional forage.

Ziggy is really thin for him, and I watch him on the track and he is walking miles and miles.

newrider.com