Horse with Problems having fun!

Roseanne

Apr 27, 2003
Surrey
Visit site
Thought I would post to say that although most of you will not remember me talking about the possibility of retiring my mare, many months ago, because of her hind and front problems among others, I wanted to tell you that after a very careful programme of short, careful hacks, but no schooling or lungeing, back physio, and massage etc, and with the support of my YO and careful help of my YM, who has also been riding her for me, plus good farriery, she is now able to hack out for longer, and is almost back to her old, laid back, loveable self, and thoroughly enjoying the walk and trot "work" we are giving her.

She has always been a well-mannered girl, but she is so much more relaxed at my current yard - it's small, and quiet, with other lovely horses (not to mention a couple of Cheeky Boy ponies who are just such characters you want to put them in your pocket and take them home with you!) With one lapse when I allowed myself to lunge her - bad decision as it transpired - I think I did the right thing in taking things slowly, with advice from my vets, and not allowing anyone, whether they thought they were being helpful, or not, to dissuade me from that.

It's really hard sometimes when you know people think you are "spoiling" your horse, and they let their disapproval show, when you are actually doing your best with a horse whose problems you know much better than they do.

So, any one of you who has had a problem and feels under any kind of pressure to do more than your instinct is telling you, especially if your vet approves, don't! It's worked brilliantly for me, and will for you.

Roseanne ..... feeling better about myself, and my horse, than I have in quite a long time :) :) :) xxxxxxx

So glad she's doing well, sounds like your programme was pretty sensible, your special care and concern for her must be helping her to thrive, (a loved horse and all that...) Well done for following your own instincts.

newrider.com