Horse-hunting help, and what type do you think might suit me?

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
Would anyone like to help me with some horse-shopping? Or help me narrow down my ideas (it’s so difficult when you like all the horses!)

My guidelines are 15.1-16hh, 5-8 years old, with straight, elastic paces. A willing attitude and nice character are very important. I’d like to do a bit of everything but with more emphasis on flatwork/dressage than jumping.

The horse should be sane to hack alone and in company and willing to pop a jump. Attitude is more important than scope with jumping. Must have straight, correct, loose paces as I am looking for a horse to help me step up from low to mid-level dressage. I have ridden and trained more advanced work in the past, however, I haven’t had opportunities to compete above novice. The horse need not be dressage educated so long as the raw material is there.

Must be good to load and travel, but I’m happy to work on most other issues on the ground.

I don’t have a particular type in mind – I’d rule out anything very wide/heavy, and I don’t want an ex-racer (only because my personal experiences have not been great). I thought being nonspecific would be helpful but actually it just means I’m overwhelmed and sound like I don’t know what I want! So I’d love some suggestions on type, or specific adverts/horses.

Budget around 7k, somewhat flexible. I’m in Bedfordshire and would prefer not to drive more than 2hrs.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I would think if your aim is predominantly dressage that should ( in theory) make searching simpler. However every horse is capable of doing a novice test and every horse can pop a pole, the question is how well and if there is potential for more.

Possibly to narrow it down you need to decide if you want established or potential?

Reactions: Feawen

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
It sounds like you are pretty clear on what you are looking for :) it's a minefield even with a clear vision and a healthy budget.

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
every horse is capable of doing a novice test and every horse can pop a pole, the question is how well and if there is potential for more.

Oh absolutely - and I've ridden prelim and novice tests on some very unconventional horses ;). A horse with a bit of natural aptitude to help me make that next step up to elementary/medium is what I'm really looking for.
It'll have to be potential because I can't afford established! I love training and developing horses anyway.

it's a minefield even with a clear vision and a healthy budget.

Isn't it just!

Reactions: Jessey

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Which sites have you tried already? I would go to HorseQuest first for a beast like this, but you may already have drained that particular cup, so to speak

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
I’m keeping an eye on horsequest and horse & hound. I looked at the British dressage classifieds too but oh my gosh the prices!

I had hoped to find a horse through word of mouth, and have viewed two so far, but neither was quite right for me.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Pinewood stud on FB might be worth a look if you want a horse that can move. Even if it's just to admire the horses. Tbh the posts are quite old so I'm not sure if they're still going. From memory it's right on the Nottingham/Leicestershire border so might not be too far away and I can thoroughly recommend the way they train their horses, I got mine from there and he's been a pleasure since day 1.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I'd also look on local riding club sites and consider placing some wanted ads on suitable fb pages - as far as I know wanted ads are still allowed. Good luck!

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
Thanks Bodshi I’ll take a look. Your boy is beautiful

A wanted ad could be a good idea now that sales ones aren’t allowed. Good call.

Reactions: Bodshi