Horse has rubs at the base of his ears.

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
My horse has rubs at the base of his ears.

He's a PRE so has a wide forehead, but a "full" size rest of his head. He's in a Barnsby comfort bridle, padded, and the browband is actually extra full. Not sure how I can get the right fit as extra full bridle will be too big in every other way but the headpiece and browband. Any ideas please? Thanks.

I get a local saddler to make up browbands for my ID because none of the ones I can buy are big enough for his very wide forehead. Is there anyone who could do the same for you?

s he's already in an extra full browband, do you still think it's most likely the browband then? I was wondering whether I needed a different style of headpiece - something more cut away, perhaps a larger headpeice?

I suppose it depend where the rub is, I have a similar issue with mine (XF bridle) Browband is just a bit too snug. Hasnt rubbed but I do have to manouevre the browband down the headpiece a bit so it doesnt. An extra inch would make all the difference I think.
If you took the browband off would it still rub?

Yeah, I really feel it's at the base of his ears, at the back of them. Where the headpiece sits. How much different in size would an XF headpiece be do you think?

I bought a sheepskin bridle set for Bertie when he rubbed his hair off around his ears. I have the sheepskin sleeve on the top to cover his ear / poll area and I took his browband off completely. I also put gaffa tape on his stable where he was rubbing his hair off! Make sure that if he gets slightly sweaty you spong him off because I think this is what started Bertie rubbing. I also introduced Dodson and Horrell Itch Free blend of herbs into his diet and he doesn't rub as much now. :)

my pony always had rubs on the base of his ears.

I bought him a made to measure cut-back comfort bridle from Kis Vihar on here and he hasn't had a single rub since :biggrin:

The question with the browband is if it is too small is it pulling it forwards and causing the rub.

Else yes I would look at a cut back browband...

any pics?

newrider.com