Horse feed

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
:)
What on your opinion is the most economical horse feed? I mean things like Speedi beet etc. I seem to be going through hi fibre nuts like water atm and wondered if there was anything that would last longer? They aren't keen on Happy Hoof - fussy devils went off it and its important I get meds down them both so needs to be tasty. Are there any lesser known brands I could trust? Any ideas. Thanks.

I find grass nuts usually go down a treat,I used emerald green but simple systems are good too. A bag lasts ages as it really swells up! Very old pony with no teeth came out of winter fantastic on grass nuts,you only need a wee bit but it will also help put weight in if you give more :)

We fed both calm and condition and fast fibre last winter but are on speedibeet this year and it seems to last a lot better and have the same effect, a little hasn't piled weight on jess and a fair bit has kept weight on the skinny tb :)

Jess gets about 300g a day and once soaked that's a scoop full which for a fattie makes them feel like they are getting a decent meal but means a bag lasts 66.66 days, not bad for about 11 quid :)

I asked my horse dentist about Speedibeet and he said it's natural sugars and not bad for their teeth. Just FYI!

Do all your horses eat speedibeet on its own? Raf will only eat it if it's mixed with something else and Jack doesn't like it at all! They really promoted it on that Coursera equine nutrition course though.

Jess will eat it happily if I make it up to a firm consistency, to get her to eat it sloppy (if I want to get fluids in her) a few drops of mint essence normally does the trick to start with but once she's got the idea she's fine

Thanks for all your help people. Went browsing today and found our feed merchants own brand of nuts - at half price! Yaye! And it says they're okay for resting good doers. Very pleased indeed.

Reactions: Jessey
I feed speedibeet. Three small scoops do six meals. I ABSOLUTELY would not be feeding normal sugar beet. The sugar/starch content is huge, and no good at all for feet - probably around 26% sugar and I can't imagine why anyone would feed it!

If yours aren't in heavy work, I would think speedibeet would suit them fine. Less than 5% combined sugar and startch, good for putting on weight if needed by upping the levels and good for the hind gut. An all round economical and sensible feed.

Think I will order a bag of speedi to pad out the nuts. Storm is fussy and they help get her meds and supps down. Chloe loves anything in a bucket!

I like grass pellets, they soak up water really well and the horses love them (I like them so much I got my dad to bring me a bag over from england).

I do feed normal old fashioned sugarbeet pellets, it's especially good for giving my mums mare with dodgy teeth a big bucket of sugarbeet to eat with her grass nuts as it's cheaper and fills her up and helps keep her weight on over winter.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com