Horse books you couldnt live without?

CurlyWurlyRach

Curly Wurly 1997 - 2009
Apr 11, 2006
Yorkshire! land of the sheepies!
What are your horsey must reads?

I constantly use 'essential care of the ridden horse' and 'the essential guide to riding' and have just bought '101 schooling exercises for horse and rider' which i have in my tackroom just waiting to be tried out! it looks really good so far.

my wishlist is '101 jumping exercises for horse and rider'.

you?

Horse Behavior:
Gincy Bucklin - What Your Horse Wants You To Know
(people shouldn't own horses until they read this. It is so good.)

Riding:
Mary Wanless - Riding With Your Mind Essentials

Dressage:
Walter Zettl - Dressage in Harmony

Entertaining:
Anything by Mark Rashid

Hoof Care:
KC LaPierre - The Chosen Road (favorite)
Hildrud Strasser - A Lifetime of Soundness
Pete Ramey - Making Natural Hoofcare Work for You

Of interest medical/nutrition/etc. :
Eleanor Kellon - Equine Supplements and Nutraceuticals
Robert McDowell - Herbal Horsekeeping

Barn/Farm:
Cherry Hill - Horse Housing

In Deference by Anja Beran

Perfect Partners and Perfect Manners by Kelly Marks

The Mark Rashid Books

Enlightened Equitation by Heather Moffett

Living and Working with the Horse of Spain by Peter Maddison-Greenwell

Most books on classical riding

I have four that I keep going back to time and time again...

The Behaviour of Horses: in relation to Management and Training by Marthe Kiley-Worthington.

The Horse's Mind by Lucy Rees.

The Equid Ethogram by Sue McDonnell.

Equine Behaviour: Principles and Practice by Daniel Mills and Kathryn Nankervis.

Nope...................well there ar a few I've seen but haven't got round to buying but A life time of soundness is the only one I thought worthy of reading all the way through :)

I really don't want to get into an argument, but I really disagree with this person's methods, they deffinitly do not have the horses best interest at heart in my mind and I would advise you NOT to follow her methods,

Sorry for the rant, nothing agaist you, this book is just very damaging.

Yes I know but Mayo's happily Strasser trimmed, completely sound all the time over ever surfice and I think she makes a lot of sense whatever anyone else thinks so can we leave it at that please!!

Sorry its just sometimes I have enough of everyone going on about it:(.........................

There isn't any one book but Natural Riding by Audrey Townley is my fav of the moment.

I like to read everything I can including those I don't necessarilly agree with to give me a rounded view and stop my being closed minded :)

newrider.com