hoof stomping!!!

ashesscott

Jan 14, 2002
yorkshire
Visit site
My young IDx mare has a peculiar habit. When let out in the field, or when she gets up after a sleep she stamps a back foot on the ground several times as if she has cramp.

Any ideas? I had her back checked a while ago and vetted clear.

hmmmm

hallo
the horse i ride does this too.i found its because his feet get itchy sometimes.
it doesn't sound too serious and all you have to do is scratch it for him/her,if that doesnt sound to weird.
ally
:D :cool:

does she have a lot of feather? stamping is, as missy_g said, often a sign of itching, and feathery legs are prone to getting mites. have a look under the feather, and if it's itchy or scabby, or you see bugs, treat the legs with frontline. i forget what the active ingredient in frontline is, but there was an article about these mites in horse and hound a while ago that recommended it, and it's worked well on our hairy legged ones.

The horse I ride sometimes does this. She has got masses of feather and although I comb them with a dog flea comb and can't actually see any mites, I think she may have something making her itch. She's also fussy about having one of her front feet picked up, so I think we're going to have her feathers clipped. It's a shame because I think they look cute, but I would hate to think she has got some sort of a sore we can't find because it's hidden under her dense hair growth.

Yes she is a very hairy cob - I will trim her feathers when the rain stops and hopefully that will help.

Many thanks - had not thought about itchy legs!

Have a look at her photo

Attachments

• dsc00085thumb.jpg
    dsc00085thumb.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 75
bucket detroyers are determined things i would stick a corner bucket in attached to the stable!!
lovely horse, gorgeous looking!!
wouldn't her other feet be itchy and she would be taking the hair out on her front!!
after a sleep she would want to stretch and maybe ease a stiffness of her legs being curled up!! i think it would be more likely to be that!!

newrider.com