HM Seatbone Saver - real or fake suede?

Spiggly

Want my own Spiggly Pig
Dec 11, 2006
Somewhere hot and sunny!
Opinions needed from those that have one. Is the suede real or fake?

I know fake suede can be made very authentic looking. The website just says 'suede'.

I am off to iceland in a couple of weeks on an icelandic horse trekking holiday. I need an opinion as to whether or not i can take it with me, since you cannot import leather (ie real suede) into iceland for fear of bringing in disease and infecting the horses.

Obviously i would like to take it, since my bum will likely feel better with it than without.

No, the suede is genuine.

I have two, a brown and a black and they are absolutely WONDERFUL. Can't recommend them enough.

I need an opinion as to whether or not i can take it with me, since you cannot import leather (ie real suede) into iceland for fear of bringing in disease and infecting the horses.

How bizarre. Will they take your shoes away at the airport as well? I would double check that, as a few of my colleagues have been to Iceland several times and have never mentioned not being allowed to carry leather briefcases, or wear leather shoes. I think your seatsaver will be a permissible item.

How bizarre. Will they take your shoes away at the airport as well? I would double check that, as a few of my colleagues have been to Iceland several times and have never mentioned not being allowed to carry leather briefcases, or wear leather shoes. I think your seatsaver will be a permissible item.

It is likely i will be able to bring it into the country, but i prob wont be allowed to use it on a saddle because it is an item of 'tack'.

I dont think it is a law but they ask riders not to import leather horse goods due to disease issues. There are diseases our horses over here are immune to, but are not present in iceland - equine flu for one. They dont allow you to use leather saddle bags or riding boots, and all jods etc must be sterilised with a certificate before you go.

I have bought a new pair of cheap rubber muck type boots, and my old chaps are synthetic. jods etc can be washed. Hat i am borrowing over there since you have to sterilise that too, and i have no idea how you go about sterilising a hat?:confused:

I think you would have to get it sterilised or take a brand new one still in its packaging. I know Iceland are very stringent with their animal health rules.

You either need to take brand new, ie not opened out of the bag, or get a certificate from the vet of disinfection.

You cannot take hats or any second hand riding gear into Iceland. It's okay if it's brand new or you have a cert, of disinfectant from the vet.

Fishing gear has to be disinfected and supplied with a cert too.

newrider.com