Hippotherapy, fancy word for RDA?.

Hippotherapy is basically therapeutic riding. I did a dissertation on it so know theres quite a few different names!! Can be a bit more in depth than just riding, as is generally used to describe using horses in a specific way to help benefit specific problems e.g posture or muscle tone. But, effectively it is physio using horses i guess.

Sorry if explanantion makes no sense!!

What TB_horse said, I think.

I've seen it as just another term for "therapeutic riding"--as TB_horse said, maybe a bit more in depth than just riding. I think it may depend on the center, on who's using the term. I've found that more nonhorsey people seem to understand "therapeutic riding" than "hippotherapy."

yep, i think the word hippotherapy gets used alot in europe and usa, whereas not heard many places in UK using the term. Makes u think of hippos!!! A lot of places though doing hippotherapy it will be a constructed therapy session where you might be measuring rom in a joint before and after however many sessions, so very much a planned physio session that may not just involve riding. Sometimes they get people lying over the horses back etc as well. Don't usually use conventional saddles either as use the warmth from the horse to help relax muscle tone.

Hippo: Horse (in Laten or sum thing)
Therapy:Treatment

therefore your using the horse's movments as treatment for disabilities with specific targets. A target may be posture, speech, sensory processing, balance or muscle control plus many others.
It is different from just riding in a saddle or vaulting as the rider has to complete tasks while on the horse like read a sign, pick up items from a box which they hold while sitting sideways on the horse's back (this involves motor skills, balance and coordination).

It's amazing what u learn for a coaching manual ;)

No. Hippotherapy is not just a different word for therapeutic riding.

In therapeutic riding, the basis is (unsurprisingly) to teach someone to ride - to whatever level this may be, even just supporting people in the riding position.

Hippotherapy can only be done by qualified, experienced physiotherapists (who in the UK have done their ACPTR level 2/3) and is based on using the movement of the horse to induce different movements in their clients.

For example, a hippotherapist may lie a child backwards or sideways across the horse in order to induce rotation in shoulders or hips...or many other things. Hippotherapy usually happens without a hat, and almost always without a saddle.
People having therapeutic riding lessons (taken by someone with an RDA instructors' logbook at the very least in the UK) will almost always ride with a saddle, and can only be given permission to ride without a hat by an ACPTR physiotherapist.

(Can you tell that I'm training for my exam?:eek:)

Hippotherapy is almost exclusively given as a treatment, and physios get referrals from hospitals and consultants. The aim of therapeutic riding can be to build physical strength, flexibility, balance etc etc, but more importantly is for enjoyment - basically riding lessons:D

Hope that helps:)

I went to a Hippotherapy lecture down here in Aus as part of my OTC training. We looked at the movment of the horses hips and how that effects the movement of the riders hips. So how riding different horses can give you different movement and how some movements are better for some conditions. Then again how to change the riders position to again get different movement. Very interesting.

I think Hippotherapy is more like physiotherapy.

We all ride for fun and relaxation, hippotherapy is done to work muscle groups , balance and the like.

I think for the layman, the main distinction is that in riding for the disabled the riding is the end, whereas in therapeutic riding/hippotherapy, riding is the means.

There's bound to be a certain amount of overlap, but essentially RDA aims to help disabled people to ride, and the therapeutic benefits are a side product, while hippotherapy/therapeutic riding is about physiotherapy, with the pleasures and challenges of riding being the side product.

In Hippotherapy, a physio therapist or an occupational therapist use this technique where it is the horse that influences the rider as opposed to riding where it is the rider that influences the horse.

This form of therapy comes under the collective term "Therapeutic Riding".

Therapeutic riding encompasses all horse related activities for people with disabilities. Involved are PT, OT, psychologist, special ed. teacher who work with the rider and the riding instructor.

Here are the three primary classifications of TR. They represent the different approaches. They overlap each other:
1- Therapy
2- Education
3- Sport/Recreation/Leisure

Then you look at these three terms above mentioned you find:
Therapy: This is an activity where the horse is used as a tool for therapeutic purposes. Under this term falls 3 approaches:
Riding Therapy is where you use functional riding skills that assists the rider in acheiving therapeutic goals (ex: balance, social skills, etc), a saddle will be used. An instructor will lead the lesson.
Developmental Riding Therapy which helps with education, motor control, cognition, etc. Vaulting or adapted voltige is the approach usually used but a saddle may be used (but no rein use) depending on the client. An instructor will lead the lesson with outside input from an OT.
Hippotherapy which is mainly used for movement disorders. A surcingle is used as in voltige. A PT or OT will lead the lesson.

Education is where there is emphasis with achieving some type of educational goal. Riding, vaulting or driving may be used and is lead by an instructor whorks in conjunction with an educational professional.

Sport/Recreation/Leisure is used to develop a new skill or improve the existing skills. Riding, vaulting or driving are used for competition, recreation or quality of life/leisure. An instructor usually leads the lesson.

absolutely!!!!

absolutely totally agree. Im very interested in horses as a therapy and there are many different ways they are therapeutic and hippotherapy is different to therapeutic riding / riding for the disabled too as is equine assisted psychotherapy and equine assisted learning.
Ive been fascinated in it long before I ironically became very disabled and ended up needing it and using it as part of my daily life, doing thinsg suggested by trained physio for hippotherapy as well as therapeutic riding and a little bit of EAP in learning to cope with / accept my disabilities which have become much worse and I am now unable to work or live independently, my parents act as my carers. Im trying to put together a book about the different therapies and how they can help my disabilities, mainly to try and help friends family understand but would be happy to share if I ever manage to get it typed up!

No. Hippotherapy is not just a different word for therapeutic riding.

In therapeutic riding, the basis is (unsurprisingly) to teach someone to ride - to whatever level this may be, even just supporting people in the riding position.

Hippotherapy can only be done by qualified, experienced physiotherapists (who in the UK have done their ACPTR level 2/3) and is based on using the movement of the horse to induce different movements in their clients.

For example, a hippotherapist may lie a child backwards or sideways across the horse in order to induce rotation in shoulders or hips...or many other things. Hippotherapy usually happens without a hat, and almost always without a saddle.
People having therapeutic riding lessons (taken by someone with an RDA instructors' logbook at the very least in the UK) will almost always ride with a saddle, and can only be given permission to ride without a hat by an ACPTR physiotherapist.

(Can you tell that I'm training for my exam?:eek:)

Hippotherapy is almost exclusively given as a treatment, and physios get referrals from hospitals and consultants. The aim of therapeutic riding can be to build physical strength, flexibility, balance etc etc, but more importantly is for enjoyment - basically riding lessons:D

Hope that helps:)

newrider.com