Hi, new here - is anyone else older AND disabled?

Hey,
Thanks for sharing this my mother just met with an accident and she is 65 years old. Her dr suggested to get her some walking sticks because she was not able to focus on walking properly. This had a little impact in her mind as now she might even not be able to walk without a support. When you start depending on something that takes you a little back. But i am sure with practising physio and medications she will be back on her feet without any support. So as you, with regular practice and medicine you might be able to ride your horse again. Thanks.

I’m 66. Yes I hurt everywhere. Before getting in the saddle I recommend stretching, bending and squats to get those glutes, ham strings and thighs in shape enough to mount from a mounting block. Exercise several times a day for a few weeks. You will be glad you did.

I’m 66. Yes I hurt everywhere. Before getting in the saddle I recommend stretching, bending and squats to get those glutes, ham strings and thighs in shape enough to mount from a mounting block. Exercise several times a day for a few weeks. You will be glad you did.
I am sorry you hurt.
I did the opposite. Though I was 62, when I started to ride a bit younger than you. It was riding (in walk only to start with) that made me fit. My doctor daughter told me that when one walks or rides, the muscles in ones body are constantly making tiny adjustments to maintain ones balance. So it is a benefit for anyone just to sit on a horse and be led round. It does not need to be postponed.

When I resumed riding after Covid lockdown I found it was my ankles that were the problem. May be in Western riding there is less need for ankle strength. But I did do ankle exercises to help when the weight is on one ankle only, mounting and dismounting.

About the walking sticks. Here in the UK serious walkers are often seen out with walking poles. Might this have been what the doctor had in mind for your Mum? OH and I dont use them, but I do wear proper walking boots with ankle support when we walk. Covid and social distancing mean one often has to divert from the path and go onto rouch and wet ground.

newrider.com