Here's another 'Marmite' comment ...

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Inspired by @domane's title, tonight (or if not tonight, then possibly tomorrow ) Pete is having distance healing Reiki. I've not used the lady before, but have read one of her books ... so interested to see how that goes :)

He's generally settling quite well, but the introduction of two new horses has I think unsettled him within the herd. For the first time in 9 years, he's struggling with seperation anxiety and he's anxious and a bit defensive with a couple of others in the herd. He seems more settled off the yard - but I do want him to be able to relax out of the herd but on the yard.

It's been a huge change for him anyway over the last few months, and he's had a few niggles, but hopefully, this will just help him settle that bit more.

My OH thinks the idea is hilarious and I've finally made the move from 'does yoga with a couple of hippy tendencies' to 'finally cracked under Lockdown' ... :D

I am in trained Reiki amongst other things, why would it be a marmite comment?

Because, in my experience, a lot of people tend to dismiss these sort of therapies as nonsense or pseudo science at best. In my experience (perhaps generalizing a bit) but people are either open to alternative therapies or not - hence the marmite comment.

I think it's fascinating and although I don't think l have the gift of healing, I do believe hugely in the strength of holistic therapies.

Oh I love your husband's comment @Pete's Mum ? ? ?

I don't believe in distance Reiki, but at the same time I don't see how it can do any harm either so if you want to try it go for it.

Reactions: PePo
I dont know anything about Reiki and wouldnt do distance myself. But last year I read Tik Maynard's account of his journey through verious schools of horsemanship, In the Middle are the Horsemen and he included something similar. Like your OH I gasped a bit, but it was a lesson to me that he listed anything that worked for a horse owner, and did not leave it out of his book, however much it might puzzle him.

https://read.amazon.co.uk/kp/embed?...linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_vxPkFbMWC13VW

reminds me to read it again.

My best friend is a Reiki lady and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a horse relax as much as one she is working on, I don’t know if distance reiki would work but one thing I do sometimes wonder about is, does it actually work better on us which then effects our horses? Kind of more of a psychological effect? Who knows but if the horses get something from it in whichever way I’m all for it.

I have seen beneficial effects of distance Reiki. I have no idea how/why it works, but do not doubt that it can help. I freely admit that there are a lot of things I do not understand! Hope it works for Pete.

Reactions: PePo and Trewsers
I don't know much about it, but I'm of the mind, go for it and try it and see. Can't do any harm and if it might help then all to the good. There are lots of things we don't know about, and lots of things we cannot ever explain. So I never poo-poo stuff like that.

My best friend is a Reiki lady and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a horse relax as much as one she is working on, I don’t know if distance reiki would work but one thing I do sometimes wonder about is, does it actually work better on us which then effects our horses? Kind of more of a psychological effect? Who knows but if the horses get something from it in whichever way I’m all for it.
In my personal experience it works better with animals as they have no prior opinions or brick walls.
The owner of the horse is likely to be picked up energy wise because we are so connected with our horses. That's fine, but beyond that I don't touch people, we are just too messy. :)

I had it when my friend was learning, I was a little bit skeptical but you know what it was the weirdest experience that left me feeling totally peaceful, won’t go into detail here but yes, most interesting.

Reactions: PePo and Trewsers
Oh I love your husband's comment @Pete's Mum ? ? ?

I don't believe in distance Reiki, but at the same time I don't see how it can do any harm either so if you want to try it go for it.

He's very, er, honest :D But, erm ... imagine this.

Yesterday, I get to the yard to discover the two herds (who we've dubbed rival gangs :D ) quite peacefully sharing haynets in close proximity.

Pete left the herd without a murmur or a backwards glace and I could lead him past the biggest rival horse, without a reaction from either of them.

He came in, tied up and was very relaxed the whole time. I even trimmed his feet, he was so relaxed ❤

Feeling very relieved and not one to miss an opportunity, I rang my OH on the way home to wax lyrical, absolute lyrical, about how great the treatment obviously was. He even sounded genuinely impressed!

Get home (I have no internet at the stables) to a FB message on my phone from the Reiki healer apologising profusely that she was taken unwell so will do her Reiki thing tonight ...I will never live it down if I confess now :D

I'm still really excited to see what Pete's like tomorrow though.

Last edited:
Inspired by @domane's title, tonight (or if not tonight, then possibly tomorrow ) Pete is having distance healing Reiki. I've not used the lady before, but have read one of her books ... so interested to see how that goes :)

He's generally settling quite well, but the introduction of two new horses has I think unsettled him within the herd. For the first time in 9 years, he's struggling with seperation anxiety and he's anxious and a bit defensive with a couple of others in the herd. He seems more settled off the yard - but I do want him to be able to relax out of the herd but on the yard.

It's been a huge change for him anyway over the last few months, and he's had a few niggles, but hopefully, this will just help him settle that bit more.

My OH thinks the idea is hilarious and I've finally made the move from 'does yoga with a couple of hippy tendencies' to 'finally cracked under Lockdown' ... :D
I'll be intrigued to hear how he gets on - I had a homeopathic vet out to Ramsey way back. He was depressed and being shunned by his 'herd'. She prescribed two lots of drops. To say the effect was astounding is an understatement. His whole demeanour changed within a week. Back to being a chilled, happy pony and part of the gang again.

• Love
Oh I had to laugh at that @Pete's Mum ! But it could be that you were feeling a happy and positive expectation, and that in itself had an effect on Pete - so it did work even without being carried out!

I think quantum physicists call it "spooky action at a distance."

Reactions: Kite_Rider
You don't need to know how something works, if its done something positive.

Strangely enough the world is doing more things remotely than ever before.
You can have a riding lesson without the trainer being present these days. :)

Now that is impressive, it worked without even being carried out ? I believe it works because the mind wants it to work. But if it works then so what, doesn't really matter why or how does it. Here's to a more relaxed Pete
That’s kind of where I was going in my post above, you said it better ?

Reactions: Trewsers
Well, thought I'd better update!

So, got a message from the Reiki healer tonight saying that she'd started the treatment and would do a top up over the weekend.

I only gave her a picture of Pete and his name.

She reported that he has unbalanced chakra's particularly his hind end (spookily, he's always been weaker behind despite lots of remedial work) and there were blockages causing him to be emotionally ungrounded, causing a bigger survival mode response and that he's had a big change recently that's caused him to become further unbalanced.

She's confident she can work more on his windgalls in the next sesion (I've definitely not mentioned windgalls to her) & I swear, they've come down in size a little overnight ... I mean, I know I swore it worked so well on the night that never was :D

It's fascinating and I dont know, maybe I am gullible, but it's another day Pete's seemed even more contented so who really cares?

I wonder if she can help him with his spooking at tree stumps ... :D

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
It’s worth a try, I’ve had reiki multiple times and have never felt anything or noticed any difference but I have seen it work and have employed it a few times for Jess in person and distance.

I was sceptical but my mum came to the yard years ago and tried it on 3 horses, first a big dope of a horse who was anyone’s friend and he tried to climb out of his stable up the back wall to not let her anywhere near him, most unlike him and was fine with anyone else including her if she didn’t try to treat him. Then a young welsh c, who mum noted something odd between his eye and ear (we laughed, he’s just a bit dim) and on his right fore cannon - a couple of days later he had a huge golf ball size abscess come out above that eye and 2 years later he had an X-ray for something else that showed a 2 year old fracture of that cannon! (He’d never been lame before or after) The last was my old haffie x cob, he melted into mums hands and wouldn’t let her stop (pinned her against the wall gently when she tried) and from that day for months after he went from creaky old man to being like a pingy 5 year old with endless energy ? It isn’t a placebo effect on horses, they have no expectations for it to work.

It’s worth a try, I’ve had reiki multiple times and have never felt anything or noticed any difference but I have seen it work and have employed it a few times for Jess in person and distance.

I was sceptical but my mum came to the yard years ago and tried it on 3 horses, first a big dope of a horse who was anyone’s friend and he tried to climb out of his stable up the back wall to not let her anywhere near him, most unlike him and was fine with anyone else including her if she didn’t try to treat him. Then a young welsh c, who mum noted something odd between his eye and ear (we laughed, he’s just a bit dim) and on his right fore cannon - a couple of days later he had a huge golf ball size abscess come out above that eye and 2 years later he had an X-ray for something else that showed a 2 year old fracture of that cannon! (He’d never been lame before or after) The last was my old haffie x cob, he melted into mums hands and wouldn’t let her stop (pinned her against the wall gently when she tried) and from that day for months after he went from creaky old man to being like a pingy 5 year old with endless energy ? It isn’t a placebo effect on horses, they have no expectations for it to work.

That's really interesting about the normally relaxed horse - wonder why he reacted that way?

newrider.com