Helping with lunging

HairyBo

Jan 18, 2009
Hi,

I have had harry for 7 months now and things have improved greatly however the one thing we still cant master is lunging. I know how to lunge and have lunged other horses with no problems.
When i got harry he was a nightmare to lead , would just charge off and lunging was a "no-no". He is now great thanks to my dually. I have taught him to long rein, which he is good at and his schooling is coming on much better.
whenever we try to lunge i can get him going around on his right rein a few times and then he gives up and charges off. left rein he just turns into me every time. the only time i can get him going around is if someone else runs around with him. tried lunging in snaffle and dually and use a lunging whip which he doesnt give a damn about!

Any advice appreciated.

Could you try when long reining him, to put him on a circle? I used to do this with mine as a way of doing different exercises when long reining, you could start with serpentines, changes of rein etc then gradually build it up to more circles?

he is obviously a right handed horse, when im up with a trainer watching him work he uses side reins to get them in the right position, not tight ones and just on the side that you want him to go around if you know what i mean,
he probably was never lunged before you got him and try and cut off a bit of the arena with electric tape to enclose you a bit more,

Could you try when long reining him, to put him on a circle? I used to do this with mine as a way of doing different exercises when long reining, you could start with serpentines, changes of rein etc then gradually build it up to more circles?

I have tried this gradually and he just charges off. Once he's charged off on this side then if i put him on a circle on his good side he charges off then too, as if he realises he can do it on both sides haha x

he is obviously a right handed horse, when im up with a trainer watching him work he uses side reins to get them in the right position, not tight ones and just on the side that you want him to go around if you know what i mean,
he probably was never lunged before you got him and try and cut off a bit of the arena with electric tape to enclose you a bit more,

I have fenced off a bit of our field but i may try using side reins and see if that helps x

newrider.com