Help with rug sizing please

Trace The Ace

Sep 1, 2006
Essex / London
I am absolutely determined to buy something for my 'soon to be please god let him pass the vetting can't wait to get him home and spoil him rotten horse' (phew).

He is a 15.2 x TB, not too wide yet not really slender. What size rug should I be aiming for 5' 3?

I'd guess 6', but make sure you can take it back if it doesn't fit when your horse comes (or if, god forbid, he fails the vetting).

I hope everything goes well & you get him home soon :)

Depends how long in the body he is really. Ideally you'd want to measure from the centre of his chest to his bum...

Could you give the present owner a call and ask what size he takes?

Or if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy him a nice new leather headcollar, leadrope and some good quality grooming kit - it's an expensive mistake to get the wrong size rug, and so many vary in size and shape that even a guess at the right size might not fit him well:) Gosh, it's so exciting:D

Amba is 15.2 and not slender :D but not the cobby type either and she can fit into 6ft6 and 6ft9 rugs, i personally believe 5ft3 will be too small even for a tb, see when you get your new horse if you can borrow a rug from a friend and try it on

Hi,
I'm sure 5'3" would be much too small. My 14hh pony was in a 5'6".

The rug size goes by length, from middle of chest to bum. It doesn't go by weight of horse, although some types of rugs come up deeper than others.

I would guess she would be 6', but definately keep your receipt, just in case;) .

Thank you everyone. I will keep the receipt and make sure that I can return it if necessary. I've spotted a beautiful quilted stable rug that I think he will look dapper in.......I'm resisting the urge to buy some diamante letters for brow band :D :eek:

My mare is 16 h, very narrow and takes a size 6' rug-so your horse may be a size 5'9. I had to buy a rug before my mare arrived as I live in Moscow and rugs are really expensive here, so I had my mum bring one over from the UK. I got lucky with the size, but I really wouldn't buy one ahead of time if you can help it- go for brushing boots, headcollar, saddle cloth (I'm only getting started...:D ). Once you've measured your horse, I would also buy them one at a time as sizes can vary according to brands.

I would say about 6ft or 6ft 3 would be about right. Hope all goes well with the vetting on Thursday.

newrider.com