Help? Which yard?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I have been quite happy at my yard with a few niggles but fine.

A opportunity has come up for a place on a new 'yard' but I am unsure as to take it or not. I'll call current yard yard 1 and this new yard yard 2.

Yard 1.
I have been here since March time this year. It's a small yard of 6 stables set in a L shape and a tack room, feed/tool room. I have my own small space in each and bridle/saddle rack. It is full and there are 6 horses including mine but only three of us as the yard owner owns, two another livery owns 3 and I own just the 1. Stables have automatic waters. Shavings only allowed but not a problem as is my preference. There is a deep open sided barn for hay and bedding and is where I also keep my carriage. There is a toilet. The school is average size and near the stables. The paddocks are a few minutes walk from the stables with posts and mains electric fencing. I have a large field for summer (about 2acres) and another for winter (about 1 acre) although grazing is poor but not hugely muddy. no rules on turnout but doesn't want fields trashed so all in at night at moment. Mine is often last out in the morning and last in at night so is sometimes left in and out on her own. She can't see other horses when this is. There is a field sublet for archery but we can hack in walk around it in the summer if it's not being used and ground is not soft but no fast work. The hacking here is awful, no one else hacks (owner is affiliated show jumper) and the hacking either goes onto a A road for about half a mile and two medium size roundabouts before its quieter and on way back from that direction have to hack on the same A road past a McDonald's drive thru and car wash and over the two roundabouts but have to go in the right hand lane after to turn across the main A road into the road the yard is on. From the other direction it's a 60mph cut through road with blind corners and a big hill. The local riding club is walking distance (about half hr) but you have to go on the A road. The yard is a 10 min drive from my house. Yard owner is quiet but very neat and tidy. Doesn't have any kids and doesn't really like them but fine with mine at the yard etc.

Yard 2 - it is a lot scruffier, new person renting (someone I know hence opportunity) has only been there a month and wants to improve/do up. It's another small yard of 5 stables within two barns. Yard owner will have hers in 1 barn (4 stables) and I would have mine in the other smaller barn. (1 stable and storage) which is lockable. They can't see each other when in but can hear each other. Yard owner currently has three horses but wants to loan another horse for her daughter who has outgrown her current one so yard owner will have 4 horses. She says she will take 1-2 liveries on top (me possibly being one). I would have hay/bedding and storage area in the same barn as the stable. The fields are a lot smaller. The bottom field (about 3 acres) was overgrazed before she took it over and has a weed in it (hen something) so she's taking it all up, harrowing and reseeding to make it summer grazing for next year for all the horses, they could go out all together or I can section some off if I want her out on her own in the summer. she says the main part will be post and electric fenced. The winter fields are small (about half acre) and I can choose to have her in with another horse (yo's) or on her own. She brings hers in at night at the moment but again mine may be left on her own at times if I'm down different times. She reckons she has about 6 acres in total in small sections in total. The grass seems ok. There is no ménage but there is a fenced off paddock to ride and school in but I don't know how muddy it will get. It's hacking distance from the riding club on ok roads (about 40mins) the hacking is a lot better, on ok quieter roads and some bridle paths. Carriage driving ok from here too. Yard owner did mention weekends she has a sort of pony club for the kids who used to go to the local riding school/livery yard which has now shut down. She uses her own horses for that. She also teaches a few lessons per week using her own horses. I would only say she is a average rider herself though. No toilet but I would be able to keep my carriage in a enclosed barn similar to where it currently is. In the next two years or so the front of the yard will be built on but access will be maintained, we would lose the two front fields of 1acre in total. She has one child herself and someone who part loans one of her horses down there. Is quite social bacon sandwiches at the yard etc but also quite loud at times. Yard is a 4 minute drive from home, about a 30minute walk from home.

My horse - Lacy, 15hh heavyweight traditional gypsy cob, grey (white) 8yrs. Really doesn't care about much. Likes other horses but will leave them. I school, ride, show and drive her. She has huge mane and tail and feather that I like to stress about. Good doer.

Last edited:
I personally wouldnt be keen on the stable in a separate barn, but better hacking would be a draw for me. If its 6 acres and loosing one and she plans to have 4 of her own plus 1 or 2 liveries and use a paddock to ride in I'd be aware there may not be loads of grass too. Im also wary of new YMs, often people go in with plans to improve but some never get round to it, you are lucky you already know the person though.

Not sure knowing the person is an advantage! Doing business with friends can be tricky if things go wrong.

Yard 2 doesn't offer much more than yard 1 overall so if you are happy where you are I'd stay there. Unless hacking is a major issue for you. But even then I'd prefer to use the roads as it's only a short distance on faster roads. I am just as happy on a big A road as on a narrow country land really. Both have their challenges!

Yes, they are the same concerns I have really Jessey. I guess my main one is if she will run out of room/grazing? I don't know if summer field will grow enough for next summer if seeded now? It used to all be a plant nursery so the soil is good. But then I'm guessing my alternative is to get lacy hacking and driving out on the A road (which I don't atm) she is good in traffic but it is very busy and I don't know if it's feasible without being dangerous. Or am I just being a pansy and should get her out?? I'm not a particularly confident hacker although the pony is. Yard 2 has a 16.2hh Tb (who mine will be in with or separate) a 14.2hh middleweight gypsy cob and a 12.2hh pony. I think she is looking to buy a 13.2hh. There isn't loads of space but then I have got used to my nice current big fields that she mooches around (although they have sparse grass that isn't fertilised weeds and some brambles. )

Reactions: Jessey
Kp nut - I have known her a while, was on a livery yard with her for a bit before we moved. I don't know her really really well though, an associate I guess. Her main thing is her horses, she works hard but never has much money. Do you think getting her out on the A road is possible/sensible? The first time I took her on it (ridden) she spooked a tiny bit (at a boot sale sign next to the road) but I'll be honest she had just moved to the yard and I'm the worlds most in confident hacker so probably far more my fault then hers. I could long rein her round it first? The hacking would be the main reason to move especially as I want to get her out driving more. She has been bombproof everywhere else I have hacked her, even places she hasn't known

If the 2 yards were identical and the difference was A road hacking I'd go for the better hacking but I wouldnt give up a good living environment for my horse to avoid using an A road. I often ride on A roads, they do have their dangers but scare me far less than twisty single track roads where cars fly round blind corners right at you, if I had a nervous horse it might be different.

We have a fast A road in both directions from our yard. It feels intimidating, but if the horse is ok in traffic I don;t think it is actually anymore dangerous than other road work: I used to take my horse out over roundabouts, right through the middle of town and he was fine with buses, lorries etc. You can meet a recycling lorry or a large tractor pretty much anywhere. Because cars go faster on A roads, they sometimes have better visibility and fewer blind bends than country lanes. There are A roads with blind bends that I won't use, but if it's just fast and busy but you can see and be seen I am ok with that. To get my horses used to it, I'd go out at 5am at first and then slowly build up to going at busier times and I never went when it was extremely busy (rush hour or whatever). I also rode assertively - not squeezing into the side but taking up room so cars HAD to slow down and pass with care.

My horse is good in traffic. She is assertive lol but I am not. So if it's fast she'll take up the room of a car but I seem to always try to get her to take up less room as some of the lorries get quite close. (I know I shouldn't) the only blind corner bit is coming from the road the yard is on onto the A road. But this A road is a 60mph road that is the main route to Colchester (nearest main town) It's then not much further until the first roundabout which carries onto the A road or to McDonald's, or down a bypass or the other way on the A road. I have to go first exit on this and then another few hundred yards there is another roundabout which goes to the crem, down two quieter A roads that are 40mph leading into 30mph roads to get back I have to reverse that but then go into a lane that crosses the main road after the last roundabout. The other road from the yard is a 60mph country road with lots of blind corners and is used as a cut through so I wouldn't have that way. I could go on the main road when it's quieter, it's busiest between 5.30am and 10am in the morning, 12-1 and between 4-7pm. as it is the main commuter run to the A12 which this A road joins up to.

I would stick wih the yard you know. I would be wary of someone running an unofficial RS /pony club, could lead to her using Lacy . If she has no regard for legalities she may not see anythign wronf inlettign her Pony Club groom Lacy or 'oh dear I am short of a horse to teach on Laceyfreckle will never know'

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I have seen it happen once too often.

Thanks eml, yes that could very well be a issue. I suspect. And if asked if she could be groomed etc I would probably find it hard to say no as I hate upsetting people even though I would rather not share her unless I decide to myself. (Mainly because I'm fussy and don't want her ruined as she really is such a good girl).

Yes, they are the same concerns I have really Jessey. I guess my main one is if she will run out of room/grazing? I don't know if summer field will grow enough for next summer if seeded now? It used to all be a plant nursery so the soil is good. But then I'm guessing my alternative is to get lacy hacking and driving out on the A road (which I don't atm) she is good in traffic but it is very busy and I don't know if it's feasible without being dangerous. Or am I just being a pansy and should get her out?? I'm not a particularly confident hacker although the pony is. Yard 2 has a 16.2hh Tb (who mine will be in with or separate) a 14.2hh middleweight gypsy cob and a 12.2hh pony. I think she is looking to buy a 13.2hh. There isn't loads of space but then I have got used to my nice current big fields that she mooches around (although they have sparse grass that isn't fertilised weeds and some brambles. )
Hard one really, personally for my exceptionally good doer I'd take any grazing that wasn't fertilised.
Apparently husband has just told me new yard is on a A road too but it seems a much less busy fast road and is 40mph
Be careful, I used to live on a country A road in a 40 limit. Trust me it was very rare anyone went past at that speed! Best thing I could suggest if go take a look, pic an average day, drive over and see for yourself.
I have to be honest, the lack of grazing would worry me at the new yard.

I go past the new yard every day to go to current yard. I used to livery near there at a different yard and the a road there is a lot slower. Incidentally it's also the same lot of roads that the hacking is once I get off the fast A road at current yard (same road) as the yards are only a 45 min/1hr hack from each other 6 mins or so in the car. The lack of land does bother me with the new yard though quite a bit.

One of the roads we used was changed from 60 to 40, to be honest on the whole they do slow down.
I wouldn't fancy moving somewhere that hasn't got the land for the horses. Six horses on six acres doesn't go.
Don't be fooled into thinking that only the front will get built on. Apart from losing an acre, it sounds like the owner would sell for building.
I dont like sub letting, I share 50/50.

It sounds like a difficult decision to make. I suppose it partly depends on how important hacking is to you. It sounds as if the yard you're currently at is pretty much perfect apart from the hacking.It does sound as if there would be a shortage of grazing at the new yard, and you can't be sure that things will turn out as you have been told/hope they will. I often think better the devil you know, and the grass isn't always greener, (no pun intended!) but then I'm a fairly cautious person.

As the yard you're at sounds so good, with good grazing, if I were you I think I'd be inclined to stay there, unless you really want to get into hacking. As you say you're nervous about hacking, do you realistically think you'll be able to overcome your nerves? I say this as I have become more nervous about hacking as I've become older, and the roads are so busy now, while the standard of driving has declined a lot in recent years. I'm not trying to put you off, and the roads may be a lot quieter where you are, it's just a thought.

I've just remembered that you drive Lacy, so getting out onto the roads obviously is important to you. That aspect of it may make quite a difference to you. I often find with decisions that given a bit of time, I seem to make them once I've thought the options through, and then 'parked' them for a bit, without much more conscious thought, if that makes sense.

Hacking is important to me, but I am lucky in that I can ride on my yard. The cob didn't hack for nearly two years. So I had somewhere I could.
No fast work, I would like defining on your current yard, I don't gallop and I am careful not to trash or churn up fields. A steady canter would be OK?
My concern for you with new yard is no school and only a small riding area for six. If you are nervous of hacking, that's all that will be available. There is a difference between having a choice and no choice. What if you didn't like the mew routes even if quiet?

I have had some thought and will probably stay where I am. As you say I do have nice paddocks and no worries about grazing where I currently am. I am going to make a conscious effort to get her hacking and driving from where I am busy road or not. The school is nice to have as well.
On the current yard it is really just walk and trot around the archery field and not allowed on it during winter or when it's wet. It's mainly used for archery. I am allowed to drive around it too though. The new yard she wouldn't share 50/50 mainly because she rents it as a whole for £40pw but knows that due to lack of livery in these parts (lots of yards have shut recently) she can get £25pw per horse from people. I quite believe that if I don't want it she will have other people wanting to move there.

It is true though that I may always be a nervous hacker. (I have no idea why I'm nervous, possibly due to Harvey in the past being a bit unpredictable)

Reactions: Jessey and Ruskii
c3226e648acd31c439e17bf1273055b4.jpg

This is her current summer paddock, it goes back to the hedge at the back. Her winter paddock is 2/3 if the same size. Looking at it today again the new yard would drastically cut what paddocks she has to about a 1/4 of this one for summer and another 1/4 of this one for winter.

newrider.com