help please - travelling horse aberdeenshire-derbyshire, box hire? overnight stops?

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
ok guys - i need a little help here....

i have qualified for the BHS XC Championships with Blue, but its really soon - sep27th!:eek: and i have no idea about how to go about organising getting there...

do we use our trailer? do we hire a lorry? :confused:

either way we will need an overnight stop about Carlisle - anyone got any recommendations?

anyone know where i can hire a 3.5t box from? ( i knw there is a shuttle near me that i can hire, but it isnt cheap:eek:)

You might be better getting someone like Eric Gillies to take him. Its a lot easier in a big lorry and they are all set up for it. Forget cheap - even if you do it yourself you will be a fortune in fuel.

(but it will be so worth it:D)

Gillies wont be cheap either! Not for a special load (shared loads go from Scotland on a Friday to Kelso for the weekend!)

TBH you might be better overnight driving down. Your horsey will 'sleep' on the motorways and you have alot less traffic to deal with.

We did overnight to the British Champs and o/n back up. Worked out well.

We are about 30 mins from Eland (I assume its there again?). We had a horse come down from Glasgow in a day which I think was probably far enough.

We travelled one of ours to Hickstead, motorway all the way about 170 miles and that was supposed to take 3 hours, took 5 because of traffic, we had an overnight stay before the show and travelled back the same day afterwards all in small very new hired lorry capable of a safe 70mph. I wouldn't attempt it in a trailer.

You are talking 450 miles and a best journey time of 8 hours, I think you need stopovers midway down and back and stopover near Eland the night before at least. If the rider is also driver probably also the night after.

We are about 30 mins from Eland (I assume its there again?). We had a horse come down from Glasgow in a day which I think was probably far enough.

We travelled one of ours to Hickstead, motorway all the way about 170 miles and that was supposed to take 3 hours, took 5 because of traffic, we had an overnight stay before the show and travelled back the same day afterwards all in small very new hired lorry capable of a safe 70mph. I wouldn't attempt it in a trailer.

You are talking 450 miles and a best journey time of 8 hours, I think you need stopovers midway down and back and stopover near Eland the night before at least. If the rider is also driver probably also the night after.

thanks eml- yes its at Eland! ive been given the number of a livery yard close to there apparantly that also does B&B so they are on my list of people to phone tomorrow...

3 overnight stops... hmmmm.... its a lot isnt it...

newrider.com