help needed. Moving yards and prices

AndalusianSara

Feb 1, 2006
Northants
Hi im thinkin of movin to a diferent yard as my current place doesnt have a school, running water or electric its directly behind me house so that was the plus for me although now im possibly moving. This costs £60mth for both ponies and has 2acres of grazing and two stables.
So how much should i expect to pay on average for two ponies at a yard with more facilities, it has an outdoor school, lovely off road hacking, il have the use of two nice size stables with auto water and lots of grazing with all year turnout and is 5/10mins down the road.
I will be buying straw/hay/feed etc and doing everything myself.
Also has anyone gone from renting a private yard to a livery yard, any pro's or con's?
Im also goin to loan one of my ponies how much would be a resonable rate? The pony would be theres to do however much they pleased except one/two sundays a mth when i would be competing/possible chance they could compete too if suited, and is it fair for me to ask them to do stable through winter, turnout/bring in regularly/daily basis.

Last edited:
The livery yards round my area DIY vary between £25 - £35 per week for one horse. This includes stable, grazing, use of arena and showjumps etc

The pony would be theres to do however much they pleased except one/two sundays a mth when i would be competing/possible chance they could compete too if suited, and is it fair for me to ask them to do stable through winter, turnout/bring in regularly/daily basis.

If you make it clear from the start that you will be using the pony on occasional days perhaps by saying "chance to compete occasionally with owner if right person" or similar and then expanding on this when they come to have a look. I think most people would be happy to do their fair share of chores, especially if the price is fair although if you were able to sort it so that they would only need to visit once a day (ie only turn out or bring in if not out or stabled 24/7) your number of potential loaners would increase considerably I would think. Also, if you were able to be flexible if they wanted perhaps one day a week off and to cover holidays with enough warning if they would be willing to reciprocate.

That would make me happy anyway. :eek::p

very good points, thankyou. I would be as flexible as poss to get Ebs the perfect rider, as long as they were happy to do the stable most days i would be more than happy to bring in/turnout so they only had to visit once a day or do the chores on days they stated they would like off. As for competing i would state it from the beg and if the right rider eg confident and experienced enough they would be more than welcome to come along. As for money i was thinking £25ish a wk to cover everything shoes, ins, feed etc - does that sound about right? :confused:

I'll tell you what I pay and we are happy with what we pay compared to some yards in the area which are nearly double the price with terrible facilities.

We get electricity and running water and every field has an automatic water drinker.

Well I'll say per horse but we have 3 so I'll work it out.

90 pound per calender month per horse. DIY

You get nice big stable, summer and winter field, you can have you're horses on their own or together whatever you prefer. Also hundreds of acres of grazing. To a 6 acre paddock we have 6 horses or less, more horses I think they are overcrowding in the smaller paddock of 2 acres they are 2 horses as 1 horse is ment to have at least an acre and a heavy horse e.g. shire is ment to have 2 acres.

Use of all 4 schools anytime you want no extra charge (nice full size dressage, 2 jumping where you can get proper courses up and a lil school where you can get 1/2 jumps)

Hacking all around the estate with fields with little XC jumps in. Can hack easily to country park as well.

You get the use of tack room and in barn own bay for hayledge, hay , straw, shavings, feed.

You have to buy hay/haylegde/straw yourself but the man comes to the yard every friday and delivers everything in your bay for free.

Feed merchant come on a Wednesday and delivers all your feed to your bay free of charge.

And acess to lorry park.

And there's talk of another school but an indoor one being built.

And we have hundreds of jumps, we have a huge range of poly jumps etc. wooden ones we have millions of fillers water jumps etc etc.

Hay is - 2.75 per bale
Hayledge is 3.75 per bale
straw - 1.50 per bale
shaving - 4 per bale.
my horse east 2 hayledge a week in winter and my ponies eat 1 bale each a week in winter (in at night)

In sumer they all eat 1 section of hay a day (in during day)

Oh yer 2 other people do a full livery service or just bring in turn out, feed or much out etc for extra.

We also have a excellent worming program that the vets approved, we also have worm counts done before worming so we can see if we need to use another wormer.

When new horses come onto the yard they are in isolation/quarintine for 2 weeks and we have a quarintine field.

I would not want to pay more than £95 per month For one pony as where I keep my horse I pay that and we have a very secure tack room, a flood lit arena, lots of showjumping facilities a full xc course and about 10 acres of land.
Pros of livery yard:-
Always someone to ride with.
People to help with advice or decisions.
More social life.
Horse has more companions in field (more natural)

Diasadvantages of livery yard:-
Can be lots of falling out/bitching
Yard does not always get tidied up properly.
Horse is more likely to get injured in field.
:D:DHope this helps:D:D

I pay £90 a month for stable, turnout, use of horse walker, indoor and small outdoor school, hacking on YO's land, own 'personal' tackroom and they get their fed/haynet put in on a morning :) Doesn't include hay or straw though.

Hi mate

anywhere our side of the county for any livery yard with some facilities is around £80 - £100 per Month plus the cost of bedding/hay etc.Some yards even charge extra on top for the simplest things like having your muck removed, electric for clipping, extra for soaking hay...I wont go on.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to go back to a livery yard if you paid me :eek: though i couldn't do without electricity etc either.

Hope you find somewhere nice but what you have is excellent for the money, I wouldn't be in a hurry to give it up.

Jo x

newrider.com