HELP HELP HELP DESPERATE

Ann K

Jul 7, 2000
Northumberland
www.communities
Please can anyone help. My friend has a mare that has recently started headshaking. Her vet has ruled out ear mites etc, as possible cause and the mare has also been to the Royal **** Vet School at Edinburgh and they can't find the cause either. The vet has said that he thinks the USA is about 2 years ahead of us in their knowledge of this condition, and possible causes, so please, if there is anyone out there who can offer possible solutions, or in the US and can direct me where to make enquiries I would be very very grateful. Also does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that has the equipment to do an MRI Scan on a horse. Thanks.

I think you are looking at one of the big Vet schools or equine hospitals. I have feeling, I may be wrong that there is a facility in Cambridgeshire. It would make sense with Newmarket racing studs nearby. Alternatively have you tried phoning a big racing stud and asking them. You have my sympathies and I feel for you.

Head Shaking??

Wow, this sounds serious, whatever it is! What exactly is 'head shaking'?

Hope Your Horse Gets Better!
Maci :)

I know Kansas State University has an excellent veerinary dcepartment (located in Manhattan, Kansas, USA) I do not know a contact number or web page at the moment, but I will try to find one for you.

Allie

I was trying to find out some information for a friend a while back. I can't remember the website but I went through the Ask Jeeves search engine - might be worth a try. I got up a recent analysis of head shakers carried out by a university. Sorry to be so vague and good luck.

Vicki

Headshaking

Hi all, many thanks for help and good wishes, will keep you posted. Vicki I went on the Ask Jeeves and got quite a bit of info, thanks. Maci, Headshaking is just that, but done to such an extent that it makes it impossible for the horse to be ridden. Will let you all know how I get on. Thanks

have you had the mares teeth checked? And does she does she only do it when she is being ridden. If not, check out the stable conditions, I read in a mag recently that a bad stable causes nearly all vices. Can she see other horses when she is stabled? is the stable big enough for her? Is she bored? I don't mean to be rude but are you pulling on her mouth too much when u ride, She may shake her head to release the pull on the bit.

Does this horse have any wolf teeth? If they haven't been checked before, then there's a good chance that this horse has a sore mouth.

Does your friend have unsettled hands? Sometimes riders that jolt out suddenly and that pops them in the mouth and it hurts, so then they are afraid and try to snatch the reins away to prevent that.

Headshaking

Thanks all for suggestions.

1. Teeth have been checked by vet but not dentist, at this stage/
2. Whilst all things possible, don't think in this instance rider is to blame, she is a very experienced rider, qualified to teach and also very gentle, have seen her ride and hands are very good.

Thanks again, will keep u updated.

I should have put this bit of info into my last post - but forgot - senior moment or what!

The reason I was interested in head-shakers and used Ask Jeeves, was because the person who bought my last horse phoned me up very upset to say that he had just been failed a 5-star vetting because he was a violent head-shaker (she wanted to put him onto loss of use insurance and you need to get a vet's certificate). In all the time I had him he never showed any signs of being a hs. To cut along stories short she moved the horse from the yard where he had been on full livery for 4 months back to a trainer I had the horse with beofre I sold him. He certainly had a problem but it was not classic (pollen allergy) head-shaking and with patience he came right again.

So don't give up hope. It might be that you have to take things back to basics again or again you might have already done this.

I know that in some research I found that the optimum age for horses to develop this problem is 9-12 years.

Regards

Vicki

Hey I just rememebered something! WHoa! The horse vet (Here in America) is coming to my barn today! And I will probably be there... SO I could ask why a horse would start headshaking! Do u want me to? Because after I ask I can post it on here!
-Trying to be helpful,
Jacki

JackieAH

Hi Jackie, yes please do ask, all help is welcome. More information emerging -

She only seems to do it when being ridden on a hard surface ie. the road. After a couple of minutes becomes totally unrideable. After reading up on all the info we can find on hs. we are wondering if maybe the problem is something else. The mare has been in season for a couple of months now non stop, so that needs investigating, but the vets at Edinburgh weren't interested in that, also this mare was involved in a nasty accident in June, and it was thought her only injuries were one of her tendons in a back leg, now healed and fine, now beginning to wonder if maybe she suffered other damage not found at the time. She certainly didn't display any signs of other problems then.

Will keep u posted. Again many thanks to all for your help and encouragement. it is much appreciated.

Ann

Ann,
there has been quite a lot about head shaking in the horsy mags lately; I have Horse, Your HOrse and Horse & Rider - if you don't have those and would like me to copy some of them for you, e mail me with your postal address. Have you tried the Equine World site? It has some research on headshaking http://www.equine-world.co.uk/horses_care/headshaking.htm

A friend of mine has a horse with it, she has tried some drugs from the US, I will try and find out what. Her horse's shaking does happen more when there is pollen about.

All the best

Claire@37hunsdon.freeserve.co.uk

Goodnews/Bad news

Hi all, again many thanks for your help, information and good wishes.

The latest on Anoushka, she is NOT a headshaker as such, it would appear she has other problems causing the symptoms, POSSIBLY as a result of a bad fall back in June, back person coming to visit on Sunday, keep fingers crossed she can help. Will post more when I know. Ann

Re headshaking - Anoushka

HI ALL Sorry for long silence, have had computer problems.

The good news is that Anoushka is NOT a headshaker per se
However, the bad news is she does have neck problems, at least two vertebrae were found out of line near the poll, and also back pain in the kidney region. The problem of apparently being in season turn out to be an internal infection (not sure where) but being treated with anti biotic washes, and the neck problems with manipulation and then exercises, not right yet, but at least we now know what the problem is (we hope) thank all of you for your offers of info and help, and I will keep u updated as and when there is any further information. Hope u all have a good news year

Ann

Oh No!

Aww, that's sad. What terrible news!

My sympathy's to you and your horse. Hopefully everything will work out in the end, and she can be helped in some way! Just look on the bright side- now you and the vets know what it is, and can treat it accordingly.

Let Us Know!
Maci :)

newrider.com