HELP has anyone had a horse who as surgery for fractured splint bone

tikino

Oct 13, 2007
renfrewshire
hi my mare is going to have an operation on monday as she has fractured her splint bone. if anyone has had a horse or knows a horse who has had this type of injury and or surgery i would love to hear of there experiences. as have a breif idea of what is ahead of my with her post surgery and it is realy stressing my out.

There is a mare on my yard who was the recipient of a kick in the feild, resulting in a fractured splint bone (in her off side hind i beleive). This occured about 3 weeks ago, shes undergone x-rays scans etc and got the diagnosis - altho doesn't require surgery (i think its only minor).
Mare is a fiesty little thing and has been on constant box rest all the time, doped on ACP (she would be killing people if not!) - Apparently her prognosis is good, but its unlikley she'll be riden again (she wasn't what you'd call a horse worth her weight in gold (i think more like, if you can stay on more than 10 minutes your a good rider!! )) And so i think her owner is going to have her put in foal next year, should be fun.

Thats all i can say from our experiances,

Good luck and hope it goes well!

my mare shattered her splint bone and the vet 'fished' the bits out of the hole in her leg and they left the ends of the splint bone as they were. they just x-rayed to check all the bits were removed. my girl had fractured her canon bone which was our main concern and that was what we had to 'fix' but the splint bone caused no problems what so ever.

cant comment on recovery time etc im afraid as we had torn tendons, and fractured canon bone which had an effect.

ive known of other horses who have had the splint bone removed and as long as all the pieces are removed and the fragments have not damaged the tendons they have been fine and made a full recovery.

good luck

hi everyone just thought i would give an update on rosie. she had the surgery yesterday and the vet said her leg was a mess when they went in. they therefore had to remove the splint bone completely and all the fragments she was very groggy all yesterday although still managed to get me to feel sorry for her by making out she was hoping lame, so i went and got the vet to get them to give her some pain releif for her to put weight on it like bissim. the vet is very happy with the surgery and said he is almost sure she will become sound and go back into work but time will tell as no gaurantees. hoping to get her home on friday for the long haul of 4 months box rest to begin. she is also not eating that great but that will get sorted when she comes home as she doesn't cope very well in strange places

newrider.com