Heavy Horses/Feathered Horses - Mites?

Charlemagne

Jul 30, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I think Charlie has got mites, he's been itching his legs recently not just behind his fetlock but the front of his legs up to his knees. He has quite a few scabs which feel quite loose, could be more of a grease build up. To be honest, I couldn't check in detail last night as had to dash to the hospital for visiting my Mum, but tomorrow morning I want to check properly and treat. Should I wash his legs first with malaseb type wash, frontline spray them and/or pig oil and sulphur? x

I did used to use the frontline spray - but since using P&O on a regular basis dont have the problem of mites or mud fever anymore. would not be without it now TBH:)

I did used to use the frontline spray - but since using P&O on a regular basis dont have the problem of mites or mud fever anymore. would not be without it now TBH:)

Sorry to be thick.... what's P&O??

It crossed my mind whether Roxy possibly might have something similar as she's itching her fronts A LOT at the moment with her teeth. I don't treat her feather at all & now wondering if I should???

Sorry to be thick.... what's P&O??

It crossed my mind whether Roxy possibly might have something similar as she's itching her fronts A LOT at the moment with her teeth. I don't treat her feather at all & now wondering if I should???

P&O is Pig Oil and Sulphur.

I think what i'll do tomorrow is wash and towel dry as best I can, then spray with frontline and then maybe leave for a day or so and apply trhe pig oil and sulphur as a preventative measure and repeat the pig oil every fortnight or so. x

most effective treatment i've tried is washing with carr day and martin lice shampoo (works for mites too) and then applying a herbal based mite spray from Equimins. the spray is great for feathery legs as it's easy to apply and you can brush it in well.

newrider.com