Heated tack room

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Anybody have a heated tack room. How is it heated.
I'm having problems with my tack going mouldy. It's a concrete building and has been lined with the appropriate liner and then ply boarding over the top. When I first started using it in the winter we had a heat lamp in there as we noticed it was cold. But thought it was just because the concrete had absorbed lots of water over the years. We have renovated it and it now has a completely new roof over the top so the building is no longer exposed to the elements.
The heat lamp uses lots of electric and I've turned it off to save money. But the building is like a cold store now. I clean my riding boots last week, in 5 days of no use they have grown furry blue/green mould.
You would have thought a concrete building would have been warmer than the wooden stable tack room that I had but it seems not.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I wish I had a heated tack room :p at previous places I have most often seen those bar type greenhouse heaters (like this https://www.taylorsgardenbuildings....id=24646&xid=511f18f56d1f697ee7a9b34d23322e50), ones that are only designed to keep the chill off, not actually heat the air and are meant to be run all the time (so can only assume cheaper than a heat lamp). I think the trick with concrete is getting it dry but also keeping it ventilated, wooden sheds/tack rooms tend to have more airflow so the cool, damp air isn't just hanging around.

I've not had a heated one until now. But that is by default as it's our utility room also and has heating in there. Back at our old house the tack room was wood as were the stables. But dry totally. I did notice a weeny bit of mould but nothing over the top. It was the dam mice that did the most damage there:mad:

Ours is heated. It uses a small oil filled radiator which stays on al of the time (its on a thermostat)

I would suggest the same as @Jessey
Try a greenhouse heater, they are not expensive to run but will take the chill off.
Our tack room is attached to the YO house so gets a bit of heat through the wall from their heating, it always feels slightly warm in there and nothing has ever gone mouldy.

newrider.com