HC and Dolly Update!

HairyCob

Has anyone seen my mind?
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Hi all, not been around much recently, work being manic and generally spending too much time at the yard, so thought I'd post an update!

Dolly has been intermittently 'off' for the past couple of weeks- not exactly unlevel, but not quite right most of the time, with occasional days when she's been 'lame' on one of her back legs or the other:rolleyes:

I knew she had arthritis when I got her, but this is the first time it's been so noticable- I've been a wibbly mess, trying to decide what supplements to feed and how much to 'push her through' stiffness, when to exercise and when to give her a day off:rolleyes:

The day before yesterday she answered the question for herself, when she was caught 'red hooved' as it were, displaying not only why she's stiff behind, but also how she's managing to continue to put weight on whilst on a mud patch... it seems Dolly has us humans sussed!

I just happened to be in the 'top' field at 10.30pm the other night and had been there sometime (don't ask why!) , on returning to the summer grazing field, I spotted Dolly 'I'm too stiff to walk let alone ride' Daydream... the wrong side of the elec fence. Then she spotted me, and promptly jumped the fence, clear from a standstill, and stood in the 'right' bit looking like butter wouldn't melt:rolleyes:

Next morning I sneakily parked the car down the lane and walked up... lo and behold, there's Dolly, the wrong side again... and what did she do when I rattled the gate? Jumped back into where she was supposed to be!

Needless to say the fence has now been adjusted:rolleyes: And Dolly has been promptly re-introduced to 'gentle' work;)

Today we went out for a hack with one of the other girls at the yard, ended up going further than intended, as Dolly really loosened up and was very keen once out, and rode in front, not only up a bridleway we hadn't been up before, but also round a BIG open field:eek: Dolly was good as gold I have to say, apart from a bit of excited jogging, I needed a change of underwear on return to the yard, but have to confess, I did enjoy it:D

New yard continues to be great- people to ride out with daily if I want to, folk to help schooling Dolly (when she isn't pretending to be stiff!) and a really nice freindly atmosphere:)

Anyway, that's us, hope everyone is well, will try to 'catch up' with all the news this week as I'm on holiday:D :D

LOL.. Dolly the cheeky madam has you all worried and running around after her thinking she was stiff and then jumping around when no one is watching. Ha sussed Mum.:p

Glad to hear the yard is still working out ok. I have finally moved Captain onto the new yard today. He has met his new buddy Thomas and did the usual cob kick and squeal, only to be told to behave and give me a "Sorry Mum" look.:rolleyes:

Naughty girl!:eek:

Put her onto devils claw (or bute but you need to vet out for that) and a glucosimine supplement (Gold label 5000 if you can't afford cortaflex/it doesn't work) and tell her to get on with it;)

And did you still want the photo photoshopped?

HAHAHA :D :D :D

I can't BELIEVE the cheek of the girl.... to be honest, that's probably why she's a bit lame. Jumping from a standstill when she hasn't done a lot of it lately AND you know she's a bit arthritic as well.... how devious but hilariously funny at the same time.... can just imagine her look of extreme innocence - "Whaaaaaat?" *looks heaven-wards and whistles*

Well, I think there's only one thing for it HC.... now that you know she is still able, I think you are going to have to incorporate a little jumping into her exercise regime.... with photographic evidence OF COURSE!!! ;)

Great to hear from you HC!

Delighted that you are happy with your move to the new yard and it is all working well for you.:)

What is Dolly bird like?

What a charcter - you gotta love her for it.

xx

dee

BRILLIANT! The cheeky madam, I love it!
bouncythingy.gif

I wouldn't have thought a horse could be crafty until I tried a grazing muzzle on Megan.. cheeky begger knew exactly how to take it off but let me go through a rigmarole of getting her 'introduced' (I thought) to it, gently fitting it on her, leading her to the field and turning her out before calmly going to remove it with her hoof
confused3.gif

She's in a restricted turnout and stabled at night now :rolleyes:

What a cheeky girl :D and some people say horses don't have personalities :rolleyes:

Glad to hear things are going well at the new yard, sounds a lovely place :)

New yard really is fantastic- nothing is too much trouble for anyone to do for you or your horse, everyone is smiley and happy, and frankly I love it:D :D

Dolly is doing much better now, I have her on one of the feelgood 30 joint supplements as reccomended by the girl at the feedstore- couldn't get the gold label one, but apparantely this one is very good, and having given her the loading dose for three days I can already see a difference:D

Pinks Lady- I thought I'd e-mailed you that photo! Did you not get it?! I'd still very much like it done if you don't mind:D Let me know if you didn't get it.

I didn't get it but still send it to me. The computer is off on holiday in the USA at present (with it's owner;)) so I'll just have to borrow my sisters - this one doesn't have photoshop.

Let me know if you need to email address again

Pinks Lady- yep, gonna need your e-mail address again! Thanks honey!

Having had a great weekend in Wildest Wiltshire with Domane, (and Astropoof and Sooty- t'was a right old geek-meet!!) I returned full of enthusiasm (which has been sadly lacking lately:eek: ) for my little mare, and was DELIGHTED to discover that she wasn't even slightly stiff this evening:D

So, having tried on her new rugs (bought at Domane's local tack shop in the sale- figured if they didn't fit it'd be a good excuse to go see her again when I took them back!;) ) I tacked up the ole' Dolly Bird and spun her round the field a couple of times in gallop.... Well, OK, I walked her round the field a couple of times and had a very short trot;) :D

She and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, although I was stiffer than her when we finished, and tomorrow I plan to go out on a solo hack with her to remind myself just why I love her so much:D

I've been feeling a bit 'down' on her recently, partly because she's not been sound and partly because I've been wondering if she's just a tad too 'hot' for me and *should* be with someone who would do more with her- but my enthusiasm was re-ignited tonight and I plan to make the most of the last few days of my holiday by riding more:D (obviously dependent on Dolly being sound).

Smiley happy person tonight, and though my lovely new BF is a huge part of the reason (Hi honey!) Dolly has put a 'horsey' smile back on too:D

ETA: New BF rode for the first time in years at the yard the other day- not Dolly, he's a tad big for her, but on my friend's big cobby type- Poor BF was probably expecting 'proper ride' but got chucked on bareback in a headcollar and showed a very nice natural seat... (B*s*a*d!)... and didn't even fall off when said horse kicked out at another... Men! Who'd have 'em?!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are feeling better about the girlie.

I realise now from being at a yard with 50 horses and 40 owners that no horse has got it all - and if it ever did it is now lame / broken because it was pushed so hard.:eek:

New BF!!!!!:eek:

You kept that quiet missus!

Go on, give us all the goss!

xx

Dee

Ahh Dee, did you not wonder at my lack of activity on NR?!;) He's absoulutely gorgeous, MUCH younger than me and picking up horse care VERY quickly... what more could a girl want?!:D ;) (And before Domane, Sooty or Astropoof mention it, Yes, he does have a VERY sick sense of humour, but I'm not holding that against him just yet;) ;) )

Sooty, Zara's gammy heel was fascinating! As a nurse it takes a lot more than that to put me off anything or turn my stomach!;) How is it today?
Plan is to get 'old' farrier out to 'assess' current shoeing, and probably re-shoe to see if it makes a difference (just so I 'know' for definite!) then next time she's due, will probably go for a pasture trim and then get one of your KC La P folk out to assess... does that sound like a plan?! You and Zara have certainly inspired me to give it a go!:D

That sounds like a good plan - let me know how you get on! Heel just the same today, unfortunately, although vet did warn me it would take quite a while to start healing ....

And yes, BF really does have a rather sick sense of humour :p

(edited to say: sorry, rather a lot of the words sounding like heal/heel in that first sentence)

Last edited:
Sue, heel the same is better than 'more flesh poking out and going gammy round the edges'... the same is a good sign I think! Sure it will take a while to heal, but also very sure she has the best possible care for it:D

I've been wondering if she's just a tad too 'hot' for me and *should* be with someone who would do more with her

Pfft -- after all you've been through?! All that long lining?! And moving to the fancy new yard? Surely not!

my lovely new BF

Where on earth did you find the time to get one of those?

New BF rode for the first time in years

And you got one who can ride?! Blimey, you've got it all! :D :D

newrider.com